Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

Big eye roll when they just had to put in all of the female heroes in a line up up to take on the army. Captain marvel was in it far less than expected too.

I still enjoyed it and the end battle is great but it felt every minute of three hours. Oscar talk is lol

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Dr. Strange

Do you know what I think holds this movie back? It's not the plot that has some weak points that have been repeated ad-nauseum on these forums-some of which is warranted, some which are overblown. It's not that the villain in this movie is necessarily weak-Guardians of the Galaxy, for instance, got away with a bad villain. No, it's 100% the score. For most of the run, it's so bland. All these amazing CGI visuals, all these great action scenes, all this magic we're supposed to be discovering...the only score I think works well is the final one before the cut to the credits. Would have been nice to get a more magical, innovative score to go with the themes/visuals. The score is still good-Giacchino is very talented and does a good job but I feel like this movie should have had a John Williams-level score.

Anyways the Thanos villain take:

tumblr_oasqhetDqa1t52mf4o4_500.gif

Kaecilius

On paper, Dr. Strange has a great cast.  Benedict Cumberbatch was inspired casting who nails his role and is probably the most talented actor the MCU has in a lead role. Ejiofor does a good job as Mordo whose rigidity is leading him down a villainous path.  Wong is great comic relief and a fan favorite for a reason. Swinton's casting might have been controversial but I think she did such a good job it's hard to see anyone else playing the Ancient One. Hell Benjamin Bratt did a great job as the guy who was paralyzed and used magic to walk.

And yet...

Marvel casted Mads Mikkelsen as the villain. Coming off Hanibal and still having some hype from the Hunt, there was a lot of promise in his role as the zealot. I guess you could say Dr. Strange wasted him but considering how other actors have taken their bad guy roles and elevated the material they were given....Mikkelsen simply didn't do that when given his opportunity. That's on him. Even when he has his one on one talk with Cumberbatch, what should have been a superb scene with two great actors feeding off each others' performances becomes just a good scene because Mikkelsen doesn't do more than an acceptable job despite actually having some meat thrown at him.

I really like Mads Mikkelsen as an actor but what a disappointment.

As for Thanos? He doesn't like that Kaecilius betrayed the Ancient One, didn't read the warning of the spell, and in general, just didn't think he was that effective. A pretty novice wizard was able to take him and his followers on during the New York sanctum battle even as he struggled to perform basic spells like shields. When that novice wizard sent them to the Mirror Dimension, he got his ass whooped by the Ancient One. And then in the final battle? Dr. Strange or Mordo or Wong didn't even really fight him! No, Dr. Strange went over his head and talked to his boss. Thanos seems him as nothing more than the pawn that he is.

MintyApprehensiveHorse-small.gif

Dormammu

Dormammu's interesting because he's not a typical villain in that he's a giant figure in the Dark Dimension. You don't see that in other MCU movies making him unique due to his concept. His plan of letting the Dark Dimension consume our universe is similar to Malekith trying to send the universe back into darkness but he still leaves more of an impression because of how he stands out. Thanos thinks Dormammu was fine, even if he doesn't appreciate the idea of the whole universe becoming part of the One. Thanos wants to save the universe, not end it. That Dormammu entered into a bargain without any chips also shows that Dormammu isn't all that. Still, Thanos respects Dormammu but would prefer it if he stayed away from their dimension. 

Not gonna lie, I dig the “Thanos takes” you’re doing. I can picture Brolin’s dark, condescending portrayal. Even as a huge fan of the MCU I’ve criticized the villains but gotdamn did they nail it with Thanos and that’s definitely a bit in part to Brolin being amazing. Definitely gonna be a classic cinema villain in the years to come.

• Like 1

Twitter reactions from international audience are still largely positive and emotional. Korean and Chinese WOM are insanely good. Sooo.. I have to wonder if those Redditors having meltdowns are drunk. Maybe see the movie first?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ainsleyb said:

Big eye roll when they just had to put in all of the female heroes in a line up up to take on the army. Captain marvel was in it far less than expected too.

I still enjoyed it and the end battle is great but it felt every minute of three hours. Oscar talk is lol

You just reminded me about the all women characters shot, I personally loved it and people clapped so I guess it others did too. I'm going to definitely need a gif of that to stare at for awhile when it's possible to make one. 😍 

ETA: Speaking of the lady heroes and cheering people also did it when Wanda went up against Thanos which was awesome. CM coming in to destroy his ship was also epic.

Edited by Gamora
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gamora said:

You just reminded me about the all women characters shot, I personally loved it and people clapped so I guess it others did too. I'm going to definitely need a gif of that to stare at for awhile when it's possible to make one. 😍

Captain Marvel was underused in the film. She hardly is in the film. She was great, I wanted more. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gamora said:

ETA: Speaking of the lady heroes and cheering people also did it when Wanda went up against Thanos which was awesome. CM coming in to destroy his ship was also epic.

I had never been to a cinema in Asia before but I noticed how people seemed to clap and cheer every other minute in the last 30-45 minutes. There was a big cheer for Wanda and then loads for cap, Thor and iron man.

Personally I didn’t care for it, seemed like it was a competition of who could be loudest. I’m all for enjoying the film but howling with laughter and cheering every 5 minutes gets boring

3 minutes ago, MadmenEndgame said:

Captain Marvel was underused in the film. She hardly is in the film. She was great, I wanted more. 

I could've used more but I don't have a problem with what she did get, I understand the need to focus on the OGs since it was their time to shine. We have a lot more of her coming so I'm looking forward to that.

But as usual the preemptive whining from people worried she was going to overshadow anyone or beat Thanos herself was completely wrong. It's ridiculous anyone thought it in the first place tbh. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ainsleyb said:

I had never been to a cinema in Asia before but I noticed how people seemed to clap and cheer every other minute in the last 30-45 minutes. There was a big cheer for Wanda and then loads for cap, Thor and iron man.

Personally I didn’t care for it, seemed like it was a competition of who could be loudest. I’m all for enjoying the film but howling with laughter and cheering every 5 minutes gets boring

I'm in NZ and we're not known for a lot of cheering but for movies like this and SW we can make some noise in the first sessions since all the diehards are there. So there was some cheering and clapping but not annoyingly so. No reactions as big as for IW but Cap using Mjolnir was particularly popular.

98% is what I replied to Rotten Tomatoes twitter with last night! 

I know there’s around 400 reviews still to come but I can’t see it falling below 95% now. 

(semi xpost with the Tracking thread)

Avengers: Endgame Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-2 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

79.46%

Total Sellouts Added Today:             10 (including one non-reserved seating theater)

Total Showings Added Today:          19 (including 3 non-reserved seating showings at the local drive-in)

Total Seats Added Today:             1017

Total Seats Sold Today:                1182

Infinity War Comps:

1.7174x as many tickets sold as Infinity War 2 days before release [Infinity War has 41 days of pre−sales compared to Endgame's 23 days]
1.4085x as many tickets sold as Infinity War at stop of tracking on release night. [54.93m]
1.2164x as many tickets sold as Infinity War at stop of tracking on release night at the exact same theaters in town. [47.44m]

NOTE: If a theater locally that is now selling tickets for reserved seating was selling them for the above movies, but as non-reserved seating for that movie, it is not counted toward the ratio of 'as many tickets sold' for the movie in question.  If a theater is brand new to the region and wasn't yet open for one of the above movies, however, it will be counted toward the ratio. It will also be counted toward the ratio if it was playing in more theaters locally.

IW (T-2)                  691 tickets sold that day     [8 sellouts/162 showings | 3875/14671 seats left  | 73.59% sold]      

EG (adj*):                1068 tickets sold today       [41 sellouts/302 showings | 4958/23499 seats left  | 78.90% sold]

EG (exact**):               710 tickets sold today       [38 sellouts/252 showings | 3398/19411 seats left  | 82.49% sold]

---

IW (final):   13164 tickets sold at stop [59 sellouts/182 showings | 1195/15159 seats left  | 86.64% sold]

EG (adj*):   18541 tickets sold so far   [41 sellouts/302 showings | 4958/23499 seats left  | 78.90% sold]

EG (exact**):  16013 tickets sold so far   [38 sellouts/252 showings | 3398/19411 seats left  | 82.49% sold]

----

* EG (adj) is the number of tickets sold without the extra theaters I now have tracking info for

** EG (exact) is the number of tickets sold at the EXACT same theaters in town for a pure like-for-like comparison.

OTHER COMPS:

Spoiler

Captain Marvel:

Spoiler

3.2101x as many tickets sold as Captain Marvel 4 days before release. [CM had 58 days of pre−sales versus EG's 23 days]
2.1040x as many tickets sold as Captain Marvel at stop of tracking.     [43.55m]

CM (T-2):          802 tickets sold that day  [1 sellout/195 showings  | 11747/18664 seats left  | 37.06% sold]

CM (final):     10553 tickets sold at stop   [8 sellouts/216 showings  | 9439/19992 seats left   | 52.79% sold]

EG:                22204 tickets sold so far   [41 sellouts/302 showings  | 5738/27942 seats left   | 79.46% sold]

NOTE: I have the same sources of tracking info for Endgame as I did Captain Marvel, so the unadjusted comp is being used here, even though Endgame is playing in a couple more theaters locally. Check the main stat box for the number of tickets sold today if you want to compare it to the number of tickets Captain Marvel sold on its second day.

Selected Other Comps (T-2 and Final):

Spoiler

3.5122x as many tickets sold as Black Panther 2 days before release. [BP had 30 days of pre−sales versus EG's 23 days]
3.6398x as many tickets sold as Deadpool 2 2 days before release. [DP2 had 29 days of pre−sales versus EG's 23 days]
4.1193x as many tickets sold as Solo 2 days before release. [Solo had 30 days of pre−sales versus EG's 23 days]
5.4150x as many tickets sold as Fallen Kingdom 2 days before release. [JW2 had 22 days of pre−sales versus EG's 23 days]
8.0930x as many tickets sold as Ant-Man & the Wasp 2 days before release. [AM2 had 18 days of pre−sales versus EG's 23 days]
8.9985x as many tickets sold as Venom 2 days before release. [Venom had 21 days of pre−sales versus EG's 23 days]

BP (T-2)            766 tickets sold that day [7 sellouts/111 showings   |  5080/10359 seats left   | 50.96% sold]

DP2 (T-2)          725 tickets sold that day [0 sellouts/141 showings   |  9796/14890 seats left   | 34.21% sold] 

Solo (T-2)          236 tickets sold that day [1 sellout/135 showings    |  8879/13380 seats left   | 33.64% sold]

JW2 (T-2)          551 tickets sold that day [0 sellouts/145 showings   | 10171/13595 seats left  | 25.19% sold]

AM2 (T-2)         268 tickets sold that day [0 sellouts/111 showings   |   8605/10896 seats left  | 21.03% sold]

EG(adj*) (T-2)    1068 tickets sold today    [41 sellouts/302 showings | 4958/23499 seats left    | 78.90% sold]

--------

Venom (T-2)      n/a tickets sold that day [0 sellouts/117 showings   | 10486/12744 seats left  | 17.72% sold]

EG (adj-v)        1146 tickets sold today    [41 sellouts/302 showings |   5460/25756 seats left   | 78.80% sold]

*EM (adj) is the number of tickets sold without the two extra theaters I now have tracking info for.

*EM (adj-v) is the number of tickets sold without the extra theater that I did not have access during Venom's run.

----

2.2879x as many tickets sold as Black Panther at stop of tracking.            [57.65m]
2.2797x as many tickets sold as Deadpool 2 at stop of tracking.               [42.40m]
3.2028x as many tickets sold as Solo at stop of tracking.                          [45.16m]
2.9770x as many tickets sold as Fallen Kingdom at stop of tracking.         [45.55m]
4.0263x as many tickets sold as Ant-Man & the Wasp at stop of tracking. [46.30m]
4.5172x as many tickets sold as Venom at stop of tracking.                      [45.17m]

NOTE: If a theater locally that is now selling tickets for reserved seating was selling them for the above movies, but as non-reserved seating for that movie, it is not counted toward the ratio of 'as many tickets sold' for the movie in question.  If a theater is brand new to the region and wasn't yet open for one of the above movies, however, it will be counted toward the ratio. It will also be counted toward the ratio if it was playing in more theaters locally.

BP (final):     8104 tickets sold at stop [26 sellouts/136 showings |  3377/11481 seats left  | 70.59% sold]

DP2 (final):   8133 tickets sold at stop [3 sellouts/169 showings   |  8357/16490 seats left  | 49.32% sold]

Solo (final):  5789 tickets sold at stop [5 sellouts/143 showings    |  7732/13521 seats left | 42.81% sold]

JW2 (final):   6228 tickets sold at stop [1 sellout/147 showings     |  7487/13715 seats left | 45.41% sold]

AM2 (final)   4605 tickets sold at stop [0 sellouts/114 showings    |  6515/11120 seats left | 41.41% sold]

EG (adj*):   18541 tickets sold so far   [41 sellouts/302 showings  | 4958/23499 seats left  | 78.90% sold]

---

Venom (final)   4493 tickets sold at stop [0 sellouts/127 showings   |  8736/13229 seats left | 33.96% sold]

EG(adj-v)       20296 tickets sold so far   [41 sellouts/302 showings |  5460/25756 seats left | 78.80% sold]

*EM (adj) is the number of tickets sold without the extra theaters I now have tracking info for.

*EM (adj-v) is the number of tickets sold without the extra theater that I did not have access during Venom's run.

WEEKEND INFO: (all IW information is for 2 days before release)

Fri:   2 sellouts/522 showings (+0/+133) [IW: 0/332]

Sat:  1   sellout/518 showings (+0/+129) [IW: 0/332]

Sun: 0 sellouts/476 showings (+0/+110) [IW: 0/321]

Sellouts:  41/302  (+10/+19) [2D: 34/248 (+9/+17) | 3D: 7/54 (+1/+2)]

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

I am emotionally spent after the movie. Most of the critics were definitely right on the money.

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Gamora said:

I'm in NZ and we're not known for a lot of cheering but for movies like this and SW we can make some noise in the first sessions since all the diehards are there. So there was some cheering and clapping but not annoyingly so. No reactions as big as for IW but Cap using Mjolnir was particularly popular.

Yeah Cap using Mjolnir had a great and loud reaction. Also when literally everyone (those who were alive anyway) showed up to fight Thanos, the crowd went nuts. People cheered and clapped too when the woman superheroes teamed up.

• Like 1

so similar DOM of avatar

better asia than avatar

worse europe than avatar

worse australia than avatar

better latin america than avatar

6 hours ago, Mulder said:

ViewerAnon aka someone who's actually seen it, has said so.

If the Infinity Stone isn’t returned to the exact spot. If the stone is returned to the spot it was taken, the timeline stays whole.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

I thought Thanos was supposed to be strong even without the Infinity stones according to the Russo’s, but according to what happens in this movie he is weak as hell without them

There is a reson for that, not only 'using' the stones. But he is badass in the version before that.

7 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

If the Infinity Stone isn’t returned to the exact spot. If the stone is returned to the spot it was taken, the timeline stays whole.

The when is also important, not only the where 😉

I think it should be cleared for the next movie's release what belongs into a spoiler thread, my understanding of the system here is:

Discussions is one thing, but lengthy descriptions of plots (no matter if correct or not), in my POV that should have never have been done, that early into the release in especial.

Edited by terrestrial

I don't want to create controversy but Feige said Captain Marvel is going to be very important for the future. 

I saw nothing like that in the movie. She hardly got screen time. I am little bit sad about this. 

She is the most powerful Avenger, I think she deserved some story arc. 

How will she become the Avengers leader, when people don't know her? 

She isn't introduced to many avengers. I think this is a writing flaw.