Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

Ancient One lays out pretty clearly how time travel works. They go back, they create a branch reality. That's why she doesn't want Banner to take the stone: if he doesn't bring it back her Reality gets screwed by Dormammu. Nothing actually gets unmade/made to never happen. That's why they can't kill Thanos as a baby or pop back to Infinity War. It'll save an alternate reality, not their own.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 4

Just now, SpiderByte said:

Ancient One lays out pretty clearly how time travel works. They go back, they create a branch reality. That's why she doesn't want Banner to take the stone: if he doesn't being it back her Reality gets screwed by Dormammu. Nothing actually gets unmade/made to never happen. That's why they can't kill Thanos as a baby or pop back to Infinity War. It'll save an alternate reality, not their own.

Yeah, I think some people thought because Hulk says that they have to take the stones back, that it meant that they'd fail without returning the stones. It is simply because they wouldn't be heroes if they just recklessly destroyed whole realities for their own benefit. It also means the final action scene is a little more focused, because the need to save the stones and get them to Ant-man with the quantum van, it gives them a goal in the action outside of "Fight the guy".

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Can we please talk about how Cap standing by himself facing Thanos and then all of the portals opening while everyone joined him with the score swelling and his delivery of  "Avengers...assemble!" is one of the greatest moments in cinematic history? Truly, the last time I have experienced something quite that epic in film was the LOTR trilogy. 

yep, this was so epic that it even looked epic on a shitty quality leaked clip. Audience reaction added up to the experience tenfold. Especially when Spidey appeared the cheers brought the house down. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Skwunk said:

Yeah, I think some people thought because Hulk says that they have to take the stones back, that it meant that they'd fail without returning the stones. It is simply because they wouldn't be heroes if they just recklessly destroyed whole realities for their own benefit. It also means the final action scene is a little more focused, because the need to save the stones and get them to Ant-man with the quantum van, it gives them a goal in the action outside of "Fight the guy".

Indeed. And since they fail at that goal, I think that’ll be a lynchpin for phase 4.

Unrelatedly, what the heck was Thanos’s sword made out of?

I do kind of wish there had been more closure for Nat.  I mean she went out in a noble way and she was mourned, but it didn't feel as satisfying as Tony's and Steve's ends.  She's an O6 Avenger, she deserved that much.  That being said, her movie next year will have the opportunity to do that, fully wrap up her character in a satisfying way.

Honestly wasn't to interested in a Black Widow movie as a prequel before Endgame, but now... well now its an opportunity to say goodbye to a beloved character.  Hoping they recognize that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CloneWars said:

If I was at Stark's funeral, I would be sad as fuck.

yeah, funeral actors were collecting paycheck and I found it unintentionally funny that little Morgan was absolutely terrified of Tony's holo. 

I'll probably watch it again to make a final decision but right now I don't think Endgame makes my top 5 MCU movies

Edited by DlAMONDZ

Is it fucked up that I felt more sad about Groot dying in GOTG than I did Widow?

I hate to be that guy, but Thor's belly being the butt of so many gags was gross. I've seen people justifying it as some sort of comment on the token Hems shirtless scene, but it's tasteless humour at best, meanspirited at worst.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I hate to be that guy, but Thor's belly being the butt of so many gags was gross. I've seen people justifying it as some sort of comment on the token Hems shirtless scene, but it's tasteless humour at best, meanspirited at worst.

I don't think it wasn't mean-spirited? The humor was more of, here's a usually very attractive God going though a rough patch, being a bit of slob and being oblivious to most of the discussion, not so much that he was fatter. There were other gags, like him dozing off during conversations but no one being sure if he was awake because of his sunglasses. The people around him were actually quite sensitive to his situation. He still kicked ass in that shape and I appreciate that he didn't just revert to normal in the end, which I think would have sent the wrong message. Also playing that straight would have been highly depressing considering the tone of the movie. I feel like it's hard to praise the character's behaviour since Ragnarok then complain that he's 'comedic'.

Edited by thedast
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HeadShot said:

I’m just sharing my opinion. Glad that you enjoyed it. But I’ve seen it happen before where hype just erases a lot of critical thinking. We shall see how it holds up a couple of weeks from now. 

So 96% of worldwide professional movie critics have fallen under this hype spell?

Sure, some flicks don't age well, but it's really tough to make that call now, the day it's released, especially seeing such universal praise. But maybe you are that far ahead of the curve. Time will tell, Tough to make that argument right now, though.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

I dont care about the critics . 85 on RT for Infinity War 🤣

How would you rank Endgame? Better than IW?

4 minutes ago, thedast said:

I don't think it wasn't mean-spirited? The humor was around a usually very attractive God going though a rough patch, being a bit of slob and being oblivious to most of the discussion, not that he was fatter. The people around him were actually quite sensitive to his situation. He still kicked ass in that shape and I appreciate that he didn't just revert to normal in the end, which I think would have sent the wrong message. Also playing that straight would have been highly depressing considering the tone of the movie. 

Thor was in a terrible place in IW and they managed to convey that well without making his scenes depressing.

There are close-ups of his gut played for laughs. It was all completely misjudged. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HeadShot said:

People will look back at this movie and dislike it. A lot of things in it are convoluted and make no sense.  Everyone is just to hyped to see it at the moment. Infinity war is much better. This was disappointing.  5/10. 

Maybe watch it again.

For me it got better the more I thought about it and the 2nd viewing was better than the 1st.

For me it crawled from one of the best movies I've seen to THE best movie. I can't think of any movie that is better in it's genre (obv a comedy is more funny, a drama more emotional, etc...)

1 hour ago, IceFire9yt said:

Nanotech?  That's one thing I wanted to see on rewatch tbh.

Thinking about it, that just might be reasonable and not requiring much explanation in the movie itself, since the gauntlet was created by IM.

In my earlier post, I rated Endgame 8.5/10 on first viewing, then 9.0/10 on second viewing. For comparison, my highest MCU movie rating goes to A:IW (8.8/10 on first viewing, 9.2 on second, then stabilised at 9.0 on third, fourth and fifth theatrical viewings).

I will watch Endgame a few more times in theater, but I suspect that it will end up a notch below A:IW as my second favorite MCU movies.

This is similar to LoTR trilogy. RotK is a notch below Two Towers for me.

I only scanned a dozen or so the headlines or summaries of Endgame reviews. The review that is closest to my take is the one from Gamespot. It contains some spoilers. Those who have watched Endgame can go to the link below:

A Messy, Satisfying Conclusion - A love letter to the MCU--all of it

A few non-spoilery quotes from the review:

Even with all the ground Endgame has to cover, it also has time for plenty of smaller, emotional moments--arguably too many, as it's easy to view the movie with a clinical eye and imagine all the scenes here and there that could have been surgically cut to make it leaner.

But most of all Endgame is a love letter to the entire MCU--the whole thing. It's messy and confusing, and there's going to be a lot of discussion about whether the ending even makes sense--it basically breaks the rules set up throughout the entire movie leading up to it. But holy hell is it an emotional, fulfilling ride.

Edited by justvision

46 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

I do kind of wish there had been more closure for Nat.  I mean she went out in a noble way and she was mourned, but it didn't feel as satisfying as Tony's and Steve's ends.  She's an O6 Avenger, she deserved that much.  That being said, her movie next year will have the opportunity to do that, fully wrap up her character in a satisfying way.

Honestly wasn't to interested in a Black Widow movie as a prequel before Endgame, but now... well now its an opportunity to say goodbye to a beloved character.  Hoping they recognize that.

Yeah I think cause if they went full regalia on her, we'd be like... oh her movie is coming out RIP sad. I feel like the solo film will give us more closure on her legacy probably.

• Like 1

my JAW DROPPED TO THE GROUND IN THE ENTIRE THIRD ACT ,BEST MCU SCENE EVER  at least in my opinion

Edited by john2000