Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

11 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Call me cynical, but I feel like Marvel was banking significantly less on a Black Widow solo film after Scarlett Johnasson failed to get another solo hit after the Lucy breakout in 2014 - especially after Ghost in the Shell (a movie that looked like a potential box office bomb from a mile away) landed with a thud. Well, that and the well-documented issues that the previous MCU bigwigs had with female characters and their supposed inability to sell toys. But I digress.

As I posted in the review thread, I feel like Natasha's death makes a lot of sense within the context of the narrative. There aren't many other characters who would seem as motivated to sacrifice themselves as one who feels that she has no family outside of the Avengers, and her death is impactful because she has been a crucial component of the Avengers films *and* multiple character-driven joints (Iron Man 2, Winter Soldier, Civil War). Let's put it this way: I really didn't want her to die, yet she had so much more motivation than any of the other Avengers to do so. She has proven selfless in the other films, she clearly wants Clint to be happy and cares deeply about his familial happiness (as indicated by the playful repartee she shares with the entire Barton family in the farm scenes in Age of Ultron), and she sees a future for Clint - and others - if the plan works that she cannot see for herself.

That said, I'm also game to see any movie - prequel, sequel (with contrivance-driven shenanigans and all), or some combination thereof - in which Johansson gets to kick all kinds of ass as Black Widow.

Also the Russos have been on that Clintasha train from Day 1. :stirthepot:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I also loved how Thor basically paused the narrative of this film to summarize The Dark World for everyone who had forgotten all about it. The Dark World definitely isn't a bad film, but I've seen it multiple times and while I've been entertained by it in the moment each time, I'd still be hard-pressed to give a coherent plot summary more than a few hours after watching it.

Edited by Webslinger

6 hours ago, Mulder said:

I guess he just hands it back to Red Skull. Boy was that awkward

LMAO. I will pay to watch it happen. 

#WeWantCapAmericaReturningAllStonesBackSpinOff

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

LMAO. I will pay to watch it happen. 

#WeWantCapAmericaReturningAllStonesBackSpinOff

Make it a Disney+ show

Not gonna lie: Cap returning the stones could have made for a fun mid-credits clip, a la Deadpool's time-traveling.

On that note, I was also relieved to read that the early reports that there were no mid/post-credits clips were true. I don't think I ever would have lived down leaving to beat the crowd (almost all of which stayed seated) if that report had just been misleading.

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Not gonna lie: Cap returning the stones could have made for a fun mid-credits clip, a la Deadpool's time-traveling.

On that note, I was also relieved to read that the early reports that there were no mid/post-credits clips were true. I don't think I ever would have lived down leaving to beat the crowd (almost all of which stayed seated) if that report had just been misleading.

It was worth staying for the title credits, even if no cut scene. The ordering with the 6 OG Avengers at the end and each coming on screen with their signature, in sort-of "reverse order" and finishing with RDJ, carried more emotional depth than quite a few movies can manage over their entire runtime. The audience reaction to RDJ's name in my theatre was wild.

• Like 2

It's funny how Endgame does a great job at ending the 22 Film arc but at the same time actually does a really good job of getting you excited for future MCU Films/Disney+ shows without it feeling like it was forced set up.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mojim said:

Can i just say that moment when all the female avengers assembled, my god! It truly was fangasm moment...god!!! Epic! 

I cringed at that......it felt so forced.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, LexJoker said:

The fortnite shit (noobmaster69 wtf) and Hulk dabbing was the worst lol. Everyone was laughing but I couldn't help but just cringe.

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The fortnite shit (noobmaster69 wtf) and Hulk dabbing was the worst lol. Everyone was laughing but I couldn't help but just cringe.

Tbf, Hulk Dabbing I think was meant to be him being an out of touch old guy. But yeah the Fortnite shit was in the "so bad it's good" category for me.

16 minutes ago, LexJoker said:

I was in the moment. Pepper was awesome on the front line. Damn! 

I was shocked to see Frigga (Rene Russo) in the movie though. That scene her with Thor was a bit tearjerker for me. Thor was truly broken after that 5 years gap. Jeez...

Posted (edited)

I don't know how anyone can claim CM's RT aud score wasn't review bombed to shit. RT has become almost as bad as Metacritic.

Edited by cookie

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

I don't know how anyone can claim CM's RT aud score wasn't review bombed to shit.

According to some youtubers, Brie Larson is mean, hates the Avengers cast and the Avengers cast hate her guts too.

Can't believe it took my until now to realize  Steve and Bucky's final conversation is a direct mirror of the conversation Bucky has with Steve as Bucky is leaving to go to war while Steve is still trying to sign up in First Avenger.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

No it would selfish to go back and find his own happiness as those he loved and cared about suffered and died

Regardless, they already interfered in 2012 when Loki got the Tesserect and escaped with it and when 2012 Steve saw 2023 Steve who told him Bucky was alive.

If Loki was never imprisoned Frigga might not have died (remember when he gave directions to the palace quarters to the enemy?) .  Regardless he'd have brought it back to Thanos or escaped with to do something else and wouldn't have been there for TDW.  Wouldn't have taken over the throne.  Wouldn't have sent Odin away and Hela wouldn't have been released and Ragnaork wouldn't have happened and so on and so on.

When Bruce was explaining time travel he said changing the past can't change the future b/c it would just create a different time line.  That's what happened when Steve went back.   He created a different timeline.   It's not like Back To The Future.

The Ancient One was concerned with her timeline if Bruce didn't return the time stone - that they wouldn't have it to defeat WhatsHisFace - she already considered her timeline in 2012 different from theirs in 2023 b/c it's been changed by them

Thanos going forward in time from 2014 to 2023 and dying there doesn't mean he didn't come in 2018 and murder half the universe otherwise as soon as he died everything would be as if he never lived past 2014.  But he did. 

Different timelines

Wouldn't the Loki escape be undone when they went further back on time and retrieved the Tesseract in the SHIELD BASE?

Edited by Heat Vision

2 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

I am sorry captain marvel in this film was rather meh

I wished to see something more of her in Eg then smash smash

I cannot agree with this. Besides me not liking the character (Thor as an Asgardian already was too powerful to my liking), the introduction and fight scenes she had were pretty much of awesome badassery and - to my surprise - the characterisation scenes do without the whole "hurr-durr-women-are-supiriourr" injections of Captain Marvel (I do not count the "last time you hadn't me" as she was simply stating the obvious by that). What I was even more pleased with, was that she pretty much got her ass handed to her (as did Thor the Titan slayer) in the last battle by a Thanos in his príme, which reminded us briefly how powerful this higher being gone villain really is. Well, was.

The reason they could not do more scenes with her was pretty much explained in a reasonable and logical way in the movie (Earth is not the only world in crisis). This was pretty much needed to circumvent the obvious Justice League problem, what to do with an all-powerful character without marginalizing the efforts of the not-so-powerful ones. Therefore,  I don't expect her to do / show up much more in future non Captain Marvel movies than in Endgame, simply because they made her that all-powerful. Well, at least if not a legion of Titans backed up by Galactus invades Earthrealm.

1 hour ago, LexJoker said:

Like in iw it came out very natural

I did not mind the scene but I know a lot of friends watching the film found it a drag

50 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

I cannot agree with this. Besides me not liking the character (Thor as an Asgardian already was too powerful to my liking), the introduction and fight scenes she had were pretty much of awesome badassery and - to my surprise - the characterisation scenes do without the whole "hurr-durr-women-are-supiriourr" injections of Captain Marvel (I do not count the "last time you hadn't me" as she was simply stating the obvious by that). What I was even more pleased with, was that she pretty much got her ass handed to her (as did Thor the Titan slayer) in the last battle by a Thanos in his príme, which reminded us briefly how powerful this higher being gone villain really is. Well, was.

The reason they could not do more scenes with her was pretty much explained in a reasonable and logical way in the movie (Earth is not the only world in crisis). This was pretty much needed to circumvent the obvious Justice League problem, what to do with an all-powerful character without marginalizing the efforts of the not-so-powerful ones. Therefore,  I don't expect her to do / show up much more in future non Captain Marvel movies than in Endgame, simply because they made her that all-powerful. Well, at least if not a legion of Titans backed up by Galactus invades Earthrealm.

all of this though I liked her in CM despite atrocious writers/directors and think that she has great potential if they grow a pair and write her as an actual character rather than an unattainable hurr-durr role model to shut up the easily offended movie twitter.

also, this was never going to be her movie anyway. I never understood apprehension that she would dispatch Thanos and save the day. that's not how storytelling works. it's always the biggest heart, not the biggest power.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The female scene was awkward because it was so self-congratulatory when almost all of those characters have had absolutely nothing to do over the course of the movies. Completely unearned.

Not quite as tone death as the scene with the guy talking about his husband mind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Finally this scene was topped with the portals scene. Never thought in my lifetime a battle scene would feel more epic haha

• Like 1