Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

Nat was MVP for me. ScarJo really brought it in the first act.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ScarJo was phenomenal. She played Nat so simpatico that her death really felt like a stab in the heart. I still didn't recover and I'm seeing it again later today. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

The Thanos in this film was different from the original Thanos.

This Thanos saw that his noble plan was going to fail and realized he had to be more extreme thus less likeable. 

In the end if you are making a film about the heroes I think they dialled down Thanos to not make him overshadow things again. 

Thanos went through a lot to get the stones in IW, losing essentially everyone he cared about and I think that matured him in a way he hadn’t experienced in EG.

But also, more simply, Thanos is a gracious winner but kind of a bad loser.

• Like 1

Just now, Wrath said:

Thanos went through a lot to get the stones in IW, losing essentially everyone he cared about and I think that matured him in a way he hadn’t experienced in EG.

But also, more simply, Thanos is a gracious winner but kind of a bad loser.

Yeah thanks went on a journey in iw while in eg he realized being a bit noble was not gonna get what he wanted 

This might be a hot take, but my favourite part of the film was honestly the first act. I loved all of it, but the first act was bold in ways that I didn't expect, and it took its time to have real conflict between characters (mainly Tony being borderline insane), and it took its time to develop the themes of grief and how each character reacts to failing the people they love.

• Like 4

That ending scene with Steve and Peggy was magical. Perfect way to end it all. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Skwunk said:

This might be a hot take, but my favourite part of the film was honestly the first act. I loved all of it, but the first act was bold in ways that I didn't expect, and it took its time to have real conflict between characters (mainly Tony being borderline insane), and it took its time to develop the themes of grief and how each character reacts to failing the people they love.

It was Mark Kermode's favourite part too

44 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I sort of wanted thanos fight the strongest avengers with all 6 infinity stones near the climax of the  battle.

I just found the thanos vs avengers fights never really topped the dr and Im and thanos fights in iw.

I think I missed the OP thanos lol

AIW are better than A:EG in at least a few areas:

• pacing
  • leaner and tighter story telling
  • cleaner and better action scenes
  • no messy confusing timelines problem
  • Thanos in A:IW >>> Thanos in A:EG
  • Black Orders in A:IW >>>>> Black Orders in A:EG
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skwunk said:

I loved it, and would rank it as my 2nd favorite act.

My favorite was the second act - I loved seeing them Avenging and working together and acting like family.

That said the 3rd act was still awesome.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

I loved it, and would rank it as my 2nd favorite act.

My favorite was the second act - I loved seeing them Avenging and working together and acting like family.

That said the 3rd act was still awesome.

Yeah I really loved all of it, I just appreciate the fact that a whole third of a mega blockbuster with an A+ cinemascore is about grief and coping with failure. Of course it has a bunch of fan service and ridiculous spectacle still.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, justvision said:

AIW are better than A:EG in at least a few areas:

• pacing
  • leaner and tighter story telling
  • cleaner and better action scenes
  • no messy confusing timelines problem
  • Thanos in A:IW >>> Thanos in A:EG
  • Black Orders in A:IW >>>>> Black Orders in A:EG

OTOH

Character + Emotion    AEG >>>>>>>> AIW 

AIW had it's moments (Tony & Peter at the end, Wanda killing Vision, Gamora's conflict, Thor's one scene with Rocket) but AEG was just kicking it from stat to finish in terms of character moments and arcs.

The pacing is slower b/c it let the characters breath and as interesting as Thanos is I'm not emotionally invested in him he way I am with The Avengers.  With multiple leads actually having character arcs the narrative is more complex and less streamlined but much richer.   It made me laugh harder and cry harder.  I felt more. 

• Like 1

Killing Nat was genius. Prequel black widow will go up 25% now

Just now, cdsacken said:

Killing Nat was genius. Prequel black widow will go up 25% now

It certainly ratchets up interest.

I'm wondering though if shes dead dead or Gamora like dead where there's now another her in another time line because of what Banner said he tried for or maybe what happened with Steve returning the Soul stone.  Does he get a soul back for a stone?

• Like 1

WTF happened to Katherine Langfords character? She was supposed to be in this 

Posted ealier in another thread that Gamspot review is closest to my opinion on Endgame:

Marvel's Avengers Endgame -- A Messy But Satisfying Conclusion A love letter to the MCU--all of it

Yesterday they have another good article, several points of which I (and I am sure many others) have independently query:

Avengers Endgame: Captain America's Ending Ruins The Movie

Just a few quotes from the begining of the article, as I am more interested in the messy breaking of the timeline rule (set by Endgame) problem discussed in the first part of the article. The second part of the article is more on the choices of Cap, which I am not quite interested in debating, because ten people may have 20 valid and debatable opinions

Steve Rogers .... to be the person to deliver the Infinity Stones back to their respective points in the timeline. You know, to avoid all the branched timelines that the Ancient One warned Bruce Banner about with the help of their handy cosmic infographic. Steve does this completely alone for some reason, which also doesn't make a lot of sense, but we'll let that slide for right now.

The real problem is that Steve doesn't actually succeed at his mission. He gives the Stones back, sure, and returns the Mjolnir he's been using to Asgard, apparently, but then he decides to take a detour and go live a full life with Peggy Carter somewhere in the past. This results in him showing back up in the present not by taking the quantum portal, but by walking (or maybe he took an Uber? Who knows) to a bench about 50 feet to the left of the portal, returning as an old man who has lived an entire life in the blink of the audience's eye.

30 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

OTOH

Character + Emotion    AEG >>>>>>>> AIW 

AIW had it's moments (Tony & Peter at the end, Wanda killing Vision, Gamora's conflict, Thor's one scene with Rocket) but AEG was just kicking it from stat to finish in terms of character moments and arcs.

The pacing is slower b/c it let the characters breath and as interesting as Thanos is I'm not emotionally invested in him he way I am with The Avengers.  With multiple leads actually having character arcs the narrative is more complex and less streamlined but much richer.   It made me laugh harder and cry harder.  I felt more. 

LOL, I would agree A:EG are much more compelling wrt characterization and emotional pay-off of the O6,  AEG >>> AIW.

So for me, despite AIW being better in so many areas, Endgame just comes one small notch below AIW. 8.8-8.9/10 vs 9.0/10

In summary for me, AIW is a overall better movie objectively, but A:EG is more impactful and touching movie subjectively.

• Like 2

Hawkguy randomly becoming a fucking ninja was hilarious and I won't acknowledge any slander of that bit

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Skwunk said:

My favorite part too. I think it's one of the reasons that End Game will be more successful than Infinity War. 

Honestly, the more I think about it, the better this is to me.  I'll have to rewatch it to be sure.

The pacing is a bit weird and the time travel didn't quite make sense with Steve at the end, but the emotional and character aspect of this movie is just too strong to be denied.