Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

1 hour ago, I Am said:

Robert Downey, Jr. as Iron Man ("Iron Man" 2008) and Scarlett Johansenn as Black Widow ("Iron Man 2" 2010) were the first two superheroes we are introduced to who remained a part of this beautiful cinematic experience and they are the only two to die in the final chapter of it. ☹️😔

You're forgetting Gwyneth Paltrow as Iron Girl

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

Question - Is this finally that movie where a lot of money is thrown at actors not even saying a word or are gagged when they try to say it?

My guess is most of the money was thrown at the original 6 to re-up their contract for this last movie - that and they carried most of the film.

Just because an actor shows up doesn't mean a few days (if that) on set mean a big pay check.  But whatever it was - it was money well spent in most cases..

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ThiagoMaia said:

The problem for me is that it felt forced. There was no in story reason for all of the female heroes to show up at that exact time. (In fact, there was not even much of a reason for anyone other than Captain Marvel to do that). And it took me right out of the movie at the moment. Even the line "how are you going though all of that alone?", well she is Captain Marvel, and she basically did end up doing it alone anyway, so it was just a sentence to allow Okoye to repeat her line from IW.

The scene in IW was fine, because there were only 2 women, so it's not that big of a coincidence, and Wanda did seem to need help at the moment. 

If most of the male heroes had been defeated, and there was really a reason for them to help someone else, it would have felt earned, but the way they did just felt shoe-horned for me.

Not saying either that visually and action wise it wasn't an awesome scene, and the audience did love it.

I was being facetious a couple pages back but i do mildly agree with this. It took me out of the film and I thought "hang on, why would all the women suddenly appear together in the same spot and no male characters?"

Russo brothers crushed it”

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

Although I liked IW better, I do think this is a 10/10 ending. 

M&M have done an amazing job with their throwbacks, thematic and visual. 

The main theme of inevitability and refusal to quit bodes well with IW themes of sacrifice. 

Will need to watch another 5 times before I have a fully formed opinion. 

a masochist are we?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

a masochist are we?

It's not like he said watch Avatar 5 more times. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

It's not like he said watch Avatar 5 more times. 

originality doesn't seem to be a strong suit for Marvel and their fans

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JimiQ said:

Since the beginning (2008) I really tried to hate Tony but just couldn't. RDJ is so awesome in that role it's unbelievable. And yesterday I cried in cinema for first time since Up

I was resistant to IM/Tony till 2014. I found IM (movie) interesting but Tony was just too cocky for my liking. The single thing I was not fond of The Avengers (2012) was that IM/Tony got such disproportionate weightage in winning the Battle of NY by showing his smartness, superpower and willingness to sacrifice.

I even did not see IM3 in theater the next year (2013), and was even a bit annoyed that it got such BO success (OS especially in Asia) post The Avengers boost. Then in 2014 I watched IM3 on TV, and that was turning point. Despite its some justified criticisms, IM3 is a top tier MCU movie for me (Top 5 to 7), bringing the character arc of IM/Tony to another level, showing his strengths amidst his vulnerabilities. Interestingly IM never really "won" a battle against his main opponents by himself, yet he is still THE OVERALL WINNER of Infinity Saga.

Over the years I rewatched many MCU movies, and come to a steadily increasing appreciation of how great RDJ's acting is, how he so fits in the role of IM, or should I say brings IM into life. That IM/Tony character arc develops in such complex yet satisfying way from IM, IM2, TA, IM3, AoU, CA:CW, SM:H, A:IW and finally A:EG over a period of 11 years (both in MCU and in real life) is truly a remarkable cinematic event unlikely to be replicated in decades to come.

Edited by justvision
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThiagoMaia said:

Wait, so @IronJimbo hated it? Who would have thought?

:hahaha:

Hate is a strong word, it was a solid 6/10. RDJ carried it hard.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I did notice and our Scottish audience appreciated the Irn Bru bottle in Thor’s man cave 😂🙌🏻

New Asgard was clearly here in Scotland but I can’t work out where. 

The New Asgard scenes were filmed in St. Abbs, Scotland. The signs in the film announced that the setting was supposed to be Tonsberg, Norway, which is the village where the opening of Thor was set. Tonsberg has been associated with Asgard throughout the MCU, starting in Thor and continuing in CATFA. It's where Red Skull found the Tesseract. The village was destroyed by both the Frost Giants and nazis commanded by Red Skull. 

When Odin died in Ragnarok, he, Thor and Loki were in Norway, presumably in that little seaside town. Odin said that Asgard could be right on that spot, which is exactly where Valkyrie settled her people. 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4171834/avengers-endgame-scots-fishing-village-marvel-st-abbs-edinburgh-scotland/

• Like 3

5 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Respectfully disagree, but that is a conversation or another day. The point is:

Disney and Marvel will/should market this as the culmination of a decade of work, a la Return of the King. I think there are a couple other storylines they could run with as well, but the season is way too early to see if those will

come into fruition yet. Either way, should be wild. 

I just said this in the Oscar forum but if they didn't go for Deathly Hallows Part 2 (which was also the culmination of a decade's work and signified a major moment in pop culture) I highly doubt they'll go for this either unfortunately.

Posted (edited)

I suspect that Marvel Studio can still make use of Iron Man/Tony Stark in a small way in a few selected movies. If Tony can figure out the way to precisely navigate quantum realm in a short time, he was probably able to figure out how to put his consciousness into computer/AI system (in rudimentary form of course, unlike the Supreme Intelligence of Kree, but only a level or two below what was shown in SuperMan movies).

Maybe the holography near the end of Endgame is not only for recording, it might be shown to have ability to meaningfully interact in future MCU movies. I can only dream.

Edited by justvision

So here are my few remarkes for anyone whos interested:

I really liked this movie overall. Its messy without feeling like a mess, it has great humour, fantastic dialogue at parts, celebrates fanservice in its purest and at the same time most satiesfying form and has probably the most epic cinematic battle since ROTK.

Standouts:

-Iron Man. What a great conclusion, what a great character and journey.

-Captain America. I wanted more of him in IW and was pleasantly surprised how much screentime he got in this. The shot with him alone facing the entirety of Thanos' Army ... its iconic, its the definition of epic.

-Thor. Fucking hilarious.

-Ant-Man. Wow. I dont even like Ant-Man. But he was very good in this, funny and important to the plot. Good stuff.

-Professor Hulk is best Hulk

-The music is great as is the cinematography and editing. Technical aspects are all great.

-Never felt bored despite the runtime and the "slow" first act

-Natasha/Hawkeye, loved nearly every scene with them. Also a sad, but ultimately great end for Black Widow. Whatever it takes! A true heroine.

-Rocket was fantastic.

Issues:

-You could nitpick this film to death. Its honestly a big fat clasterfuck. But also a very fun one. And that makes me not want to nitpick stuff like the time travel.

-I wanted to see some more from certain characters. More scenes with Quill, Valkyrie and Groot please! But of course, not everyone can truly shine with so many characters.

-I disliked Captain Marvel. I already didnt care about her solo film and this film showed me again why i think the character is bad: Shes too OP! She destroyed Thanos ship in 2 fucking seconds. Thats just too much man. She alone could handle all of Thanos' army by herself. The second she came to the battle, all tension was over for me.

-Black Panther felt ... a bit weird? Wanted to see more of him too.

-Also of Strange. I love Strange in both this and IW and here i dont remember him even saying a line lol.

Overall, i like Infinity War more. That was just one of the most well-paced, epic films of the whole decade. This is totally tonally different, mostly for the right reasons and im glad to say that it feels like the end of an era for me. I planned to end it with the MCU after this one and i will - except for Guardians 3, because i love both the Guardians and Thor.

8/10, will watch again next week.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone explain how Tony was able to get all the stones from Thanos' Gauntlet ? Is this something that the audience needs to understand on their own considering Iron Man made this Gauntlet so he'll have a fall back plan in case of exigency.

9 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

Can anyone explain how Tony was able to get all the stones from Thanos' Gauntlet ? Is this something that the audience needs to understand on their own considering Iron Man made this Gauntlet so he'll have a fall back plan in case of exigency.

this bothered me too but I was guessing that Iron Man was using the stone (reality stone?) to make Thanos appear to be wearing the gauntlet.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

This is my question too. I saw it two times, the second time I paid more attention, but still not too sure. I think

1. Tony made 2 gauntlets, one was the one that Thanos finally got hold of; another one is a nanotech gauntlet that could come fluidly from his suit
  2. Thanos thought Tony was trying to dislodge the gauntlet from his arm like what CM trying to do. Instead, Tony just plucked the Stones out of the gauntlet, and placed them into his nanotech gauntlet.
  3. "I am inevitable".   "I am IronMan"
  4. Snap
Edited by justvision
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, justvision said:

This is my question too. I saw it two times, the second time I paid more attention, but still not to sure. I think

1. Tony made 2 gauntlets, one was the one that Thanos finally got hold of; another one is a nanotech gauntlet that can come fluidly from his suit
  2. Thanos thought Tony was trying to dislodge the gauntlet from his arm like what CM trying to do. Instead, Tony just plucked the Stones out of the gauntlet, and placed them into his nanotech gauntlet.
  3. "I am inevitable".   "I am IronMan"
  4. Snap

If the above are correct, it shows how smart and thinking out of the box Tony is. While others (looking at you, CM) were trying the brute force, he went another way, and succeeded.

To be fair, he probably learned his lesson from Planet Titan of how they failed to grab the gauntlet from Thanos' arm.

Edited by justvision
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, justvision said:

Th

If the above are correct, it shows how smart and thinking out of the box Tony is. While others (looking at you, CM) were trying the brute force, he went another way, and succeeded.

To be fair, he probably learned his lesson from Planet Titan of how they failed to grab the gauntlet from Thanoss arm.

That's true, If you can say one thing about Tony, he always learns from his mistakes, that's been established throughout MCU. Also there's a scene in Iron Man 3 where he tells the kid, Smart people always have a fallback plan or know how to save their ass. (I don't remember the exact dialogue.)

• Like 2