Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

32 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

Can anyone explain how Tony was able to get all the stones from Thanos' Gauntlet ? Is this something that the audience needs to understand on their own considering Iron Man made this Gauntlet so he'll have a fall back plan in case of exigency.

The only thing that kinda bothered me was it looked as if Thanos looked at the gauntlet after smacking Tony away and before snapping his fingers. How would he not know that the stones were gone if he looks at it right before trying to snap?

5 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

That's true, If you can say one thing about Tony, he always learns from his mistakes, that's been established throughout MCU. Also there's a scene in Iron Man 3 where he tells the kid, Smart people always have a fallback plan or know how to save their ass. (I don't remember the exact dialogue.)

As said before IM3 is one of my favorite MCU movies. The highlight was when he was "the mechanic" with the kid. Shame of me, because I was avoiding all potential spoilers, I didn't read that child (now adolescent) actor who played the kid had a small cameo in Endgame too. At the end of Endgame, I was wondering why a strange face was present at Tony's funeral. Then I read the explanation in Reddit. Gosh he is so tall now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cheesypoofs said:

The only thing that kinda bothered me was it looked as if Thanos looked at the gauntlet after smacking Tony away and before snapping his fingers. How would he not know that the stones were gone if he looks at it right before trying to snap?

He didn’t turn it around to look at it, he merely adjusted it so it fit better on his hand. He pulled it into place. Then snapped. Plus, I guess because you only get the power surge the first time you put the glove on, he wouldn’t realize it was stone-less. 

How does the gauntlet work? How come Thanos snaps and half the life in the universe turns to dust but when Tony snaps, only the bad guys turn to dust? Is it like a lantern from Aladdin where you get wishes?

• Haha 1

Just now, jedijake said:

How does the gauntlet work? How come Thanos snaps and half the life in the universe turns to dust but when Tony snaps, only the bad guys turn to dust? Is it like a lantern from Aladdin where you get wishes?

Its kind of like that. You concentrate on what you want to achieve - like in Thanos case he wanted to kill half of all life and in Hulks case he wanted to resurrect all that were killed in the snap. So kind of like specific goals that you have to have in mind.

• Like 2
  • Not Cool 1

11 minutes ago, jedijake said:

yes think that was made pretty clear in the first film where when you wear the stones, you just think of something and it happens.

Posted (edited)

I wonder if Michael Douglas, Michelle Pfeiffer and William Hurt are actually in this movie Or are just cgi doubles. I mean you never know these day s

Edited by John Marston

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I wonder if Michael Douglas, Michelle Pfeiffer and William Hurt are actually in this movie Or are just cgi doubles. I mean you never know these day s

Didn't notice Michelle Pfeiffer or William Hurt although I did note Hurt was in the main credits.

Michael Douglas got enough screen time that I expect it was him. they already had the design to use to de-age him from the first ant-man.

3 hours ago, ThiagoMaia said:

The problem for me is that it felt forced. There was no in story reason for all of the female heroes to show up at that exact time. (In fact, there was not even much of a reason for anyone other than Captain Marvel to do that). And it took me right out of the movie at the moment. Even the line "how are you going though all of that alone?", well she is Captain Marvel, and she basically did end up doing it alone anyway, so it was just a sentence to allow Okoye to repeat her line from IW.

The scene in IW was fine, because there were only 2 women, so it's not that big of a coincidence, and Wanda did seem to need help at the moment. 

If most of the male heroes had been defeated, and there was really a reason for them to help someone else, it would have felt earned, but the way they did just felt shoe-horned for me.

Not saying either that visually and action wise it wasn't an awesome scene, and the audience did love it.

To this "forced" claim, if they were all men, no one would have batted an eye. But because it's women, suddenly it's "forced feminism!!!".

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Ithil said:

To this "forced" claim, if they were all men, no one would have batted an eye. But because it's women, suddenly it's "forced feminism!!!".

you seriously believe Marvel did not intend for that moment to appeal to women in the audience?

would you like to buy a bridge?

Edited by Avatree

11 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Didn't notice Michelle Pfeiffer or William Hurt although I did note Hurt was in the main credits.

Michael Douglas got enough screen time that I expect it was him. they already had the design to use to de-age him from the first ant-man.

william hurt is standing at the back during RDJ's funeral. he might not even be in focus.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, justvision said:

This is my question too. I saw it two times, the second time I paid more attention, but still not too sure. I think

1. Tony made 2 gauntlets, one was the one that Thanos finally got hold of; another one is a nanotech gauntlet that could come fluidly from his suit
  2. Thanos thought Tony was trying to dislodge the gauntlet from his arm like what CM trying to do. Instead, Tony just plucked the Stones out of the gauntlet, and placed them into his nanotech gauntlet.
  3. "I am inevitable".   "I am IronMan"
  4. Snap

which is why the scene with CM beforehand works so well in the context, isn't just "lets give CM a big moment for the sake of it". She indeed went for the Gauntlet so Thanos assumed Tony did too (didn't know about the second one) and then he got "Surprise, bitch". 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ithil said:

absolutely, though ladies in my family would find shirtless ripped Thor more appealing,. they really hope Thorbowski is one and done. Why do you think they saw Aquaman several times? Not Meera power. :lol:

• Haha 1

I hope Captain Marvel does not become too much of a problem. When they were being defeated it really was a "where's Captain Marvel? She'll be along in a second to save the day". Like the eagles in lord of the rings except she is a whole character.

Maybe they can do a Thor and make her lose some power.

i liked the captain marvel film quite a lot but now it's always going to be the "where is she" question. the excuse of "I was busy elsewhere" is pretty lame. Marvel kind of worked themselves into a corner  with this character.

Just now, Avatree said:

I hope Captain Marvel does not become too much of a problem. When they were being defeated it really was a "where's Captain Marvel? She'll be along in a second to save the day". Like the eagles in lord of the rings except she is a whole character.

Maybe they can do a Thor and make her lose some power.

i liked the captain marvel film quite a lot but now it's always going to be the "where is she" question. the excuse of "I was busy elsewhere" is pretty lame. Marvel kind of worked themselves into a corner  with this character.

I'm actually the opposite. I don't think she needs to lose powers. overpowered characters  create no stakes but the same is true of any SH. Like, is there ever a chance that Ant Man will keel over in his movies? Will Tony run out of endless supply of suits? And he isn't overpowered compared to CM but he is compared to people w/o powers and some with them in his movies. In short, every SH is overpowered in his/her story. Even when BP 'died" that didn't last cause power of ancestors and shit. In short, these movies are not compelling cause of stakes. there's none in most of them because all those stories are written for the hero to triumph and be alright at the end. what counts is character journey and his/hers bouncing from where they start to where they finish. 

also, where she is is a question one can ask of Thor too. Why is he on Asgard if he could be at X, Y, Z? IMO, more pressing question than why CM and/or Thor are not always available is why Marvel isn't using almost equally powerful Wanda proper? she's been largely just a supporting player with underutilized powers that clearly are quite substantial and wouldn't require CM or Thor to assist.

Stark didn't tell Tony everything but he told him enough to know if he gave a signal it was time. He looked a Tony after Captain Marvel failed to pull the glove off. Tony knew this was the 1 in  the 14 million scenario and that there was only one way to win. To sacrifice himself. 

19 minutes ago, Avatree said:

you seriously believe Marvel did not intend for that moment to appeal to women in the audience?

would you like to buy a bridge?

Hang on. So now "appealing to women in the audience" is equal to "forced"?

• Like 1

In thinking it over the past day, I have to say that overall as a movie, IW is better, but man, the payoff and emotion level was so much more in EG for me, so that makes up for it.  I felt almost zero emotion in IW, but yeah in this movie, my emotions were all over the place, in a good way.

Still can't get over IM and Cap's endings.  There were perfect to me.  Cap was my favorite character so I'm glad he got his happy ending.  And Tony's was the perfect full circle ending for him.  Glad they got their moments.

I figured that scene of the women would spark some talk and "controversy".  I wasn't going to touch upon it but I'll get it out of the way.

Was it "forced" or "pandering"?  Of course, it was, but here's thing, SO THE BLEEP WHAT?!  How many forced and pandering things were in all the movies, and other movies, for fanboys/girls, every gender, race, etc.? That is not a bad thing.  Everyone can have their thing and there's zero wrong with that.  The movie isn't just for one segment, it is for everyone so yeah hate the scene if you want, but there is nothing wrong with what they did.

ok, done with that and moving on. 

While I did and still do have some issues with the film, the positives outweigh the bad for me.  I will definitely pick this up on blu ray whenever it shows up.  I haven't bought a Marvel movie in a long time but this I will definitely need.

• Like 3

As someone who wasnt crazy about infinity war ranked it 10th on my rewatch I did not expect to love this as much as I did. It bumps off winter Soldier as my favorite MCU

• Like 1