Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

I can come around a bit to Infinity War better until the shittiest flattest ending ever (also it never stopped and made it impossible to digest anything, never explained anything and was WAY too fast). 

That said, sure End Game had flaws but its ending is so superior it's not even close.

2 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

As someone who wasnt crazy about infinity war ranked it 10th on my rewatch I did not expect to love this as much as I did. It bumps off winter Soldier as my favorite MCU

My man 

My thoughts so far. Mind you I've only seen the movie once. Plan on seeing it again in IMAX sometime this week.

Right now I think IW>EG. For me IW was just perfectly paced and different for Marvel. Seeing Thanos win was just awesome to me.  Endgame kinda went back to the normal formula for Marvel films which isn't bad at all because their formula has been mega successful. I don't know how to explain but IW was just so good to me.

What I loved about Endgame:

-That last 30-45 minutes of the movie. Holy fucking shit. At times I felt like Thanos was stronger without the stones. He was just destroying Iron Man, Cap and Thor. And that last battle felt like Marvels version of ROTK. Just amazing and beyond epic.

-Seeing Cap finally use mjolnir was dope. We kinda knew it would happen eventually from Ultron but it was dope nonetheless

-Every scene with Black Widow and Hawkeye was really nice to me. Seeing which one was going to be sacrificed was intense. 

-The time traveling part to other movies was really cool. Russo brothers did a great job with that IMO. Seeing Tony speak with his dad and Thor talk to his mother was really touching.

-Was pleasantly surprised at how important Nebulla was in this movie. Didn't think she would be featured so much but it makes sense now that I think about it lol.

-Tony giving the ultimate sacrifice. MCU started with him and it was nice seeing him end this arc. We'll miss you!

What was so-so for me

- I was realllly curious as to how Captain Marvel would be used in this movie. She is clearly far more powerful than anyone else in the movie and could have fought Thanos and his army alone. Limiting her screen time to 10 minutes and giving the "I'm busy on other worlds" excuse was their solution. I rolled my eyes when Spidey asked how are you gonna get through all those people? Ummm she just destroyed that ship in 3 seconds...she'll be fine. Just feel like she is going to be Marvels "get out of jail free card" in the future.

What I didn't like:

Black Widow dying didn't seem that impactful to the team. They should have had a joint funeral for her and Tony.

The movie was really light on action but I guess that should have been expected since IW was a non stop action eyegasm.

Why were they able to breathe normally on all the planets that they went to? Maybe I missed something but in my head I kept saying "oh I guess all these planets are just like Earth" lol

Overall:

I give Endgame an a 8.5/10. A great way to end this arc in the MCU

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I like Peter Quill quite a bit but gonna be very difficult for him to stand out in GOTG Vol 3 if Thor is involved.

Eh. To me, it would be similar to Hulk in Ragnarok. His presence is powerful but Thor is still the lead, as Quill will be in Guardians. As polarizing as Quill may be for some, he is still a large part of the reason people love the Guardians movies. Thor, like Hulk, would just add to the level of hype. And I have to say, Guardians 3 with Thor definitely has the potential to make 1B. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

6 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

As someone who wasnt crazy about infinity war ranked it 10th on my rewatch I did not expect to love this as much as I did. It bumps off winter Soldier as my favorite MCU

yep! Was very let down by infinity war but this was a real payoff. outside of Guardians films this is EASILY the best in the MCU. I suspect when they're both out on streaming or whatever I'll rewatch them together and I suspect if you treat the whole thing as one film it works a lot better.

• Like 1

Captain Marvel failed to take off the gauntlet BUT Thanos had to take the stones off the gauntlet to push her away. That's when Tony came and got his glove on top of Thanos' glove. When Thanos went to put the stones onto his glove, they went onto Tony's instead. (watched it a couple of times on the youtube videos)

4 hours ago, ThiagoMaia said:

The problem for me is that it felt forced. There was no in story reason for all of the female heroes to show up at that exact time.

tumblr_of5wq2OuE61qa7lv4o1_500.gif

I am truly sorry for you that you live in a world where you can't just APPRECIATE the EPIC BEAUTY of that scene. 

I'm just going to finally post what I wrote the @Porthos privately after the Captain Marvel reactions dropped because it's basically the same thing:

I just kept thinking when reading the reactions: I doubt any of you boys have walked into a comic book store and asked if you lost or looking for your boyfriend.  I doubt any of you boys have been in line at with your comics/merch in one hand, and cash in the other, to be totally ignored.  I doubt any of you boys have been in a comics or gaming store, and been totally talked over and dismissed -- despite knowing more canon then they do -- because of your POV or "that you just only care about your silly ship instead of important things like who could beat who in a fight."  Being in those situations, you have to figure out if you just tear into them, or if you just choke it back, because it's not worth your energy, or your time; and in reality, they aren't going to listen to you anyway.  It's a fucking minefield.

Watching Carol deal with similar things to that was just really intense.  But I also think it was a really intense female perspective.  I also never thought I would be so rewarded by Marvel for my patience.

Like, I remember being on the SDCC Floor when Dan Didio pulled his "Well, who should we hire?" respond to the crowd's "Hire More Women" comments at the New 52 DC Panel. I remember being in the room where Axel Alonso sat on the "Women In Marvel" panel and basically threatened the women with his presence to not say anything negative about the company.  I watched him get into it with my friend -- who WROTE PROFESSIONALLY COMICS -- during the Q&A about women in the comic book industry.  I remember us cornering Victoria Alonso in the hallway after the panel, and having a long talk about the Black Widow movie.  Like, this is back from 2012/2013.

I have put up with a lot of shit from Marvel Comics and Studios over the past ten years, and watching Captain Marvel felt like both an apology and a gift.  It was so rewarding.

And maybe the boys just don't get it, because they weren't told that we can't have a female superhero movie because the toys don't sell as well (because women buy different merch, but we still BUY THINGS) and it's box office poison (based off the fact two BAD MOVIES happened 20 years ago).

Was it pandering or clearly a "forced" money shot?  Your god damn right.  And I -- and all of my other ladies in the theater -- deserved it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

tumblr_of5wq2OuE61qa7lv4o1_500.gif

I am truly sorry for you that you live in a world where you can't just APPRECIATE the EPIC BEAUTY of that scene. 

I'm just going to finally post what I wrote the @Porthos privately after the Captain Marvel reactions dropped because it's basically the same thing:

Was it pandering or clearly a "forced" money shot?  Your god damn right.  And I -- and all of my other ladies in the theater -- deserved it.

nothing wrong with pandering, this is after all a product made to be sold to an audience. The only thing is that when there's a moment of pandering, if you're not the one being pandered to then it sticks out like a sore thumb.

So who's with me for Ronin in Deadpool 3? The way he handled that katana/sword/whatever was marvelous

Posted (edited)

I've been thinking about the time travel in this movie some more today and the paradoxes created are becoming overwhelming.  The idea that you could return the stones at the moment they were taken in order to prevent a split is VERY problematic logically (and potentially morally).

Edited by ZackM
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Avatree said:

nothing wrong with pandering, this is after all a product made to be sold to an audience. The only thing is that when there's a moment of pandering, if you're not the one being pandered to then it sticks out like a sore thumb.

This is basically "Pandering: the movie" (or fanservice, if that word offends you). So people should really learn to be a bit more forgiving for the moments that weren't meant for them.

I'd just wish some weren't as contrived/forced as they were... But hey, how would you logically gather up only the girls in a single panel amidst a battle? There was just no good way to do it! And they obviously wanted to do it, real bad.

Goose needed to come help. Imagine the interplay between Goose and Rocket.

Still pissed that Fury didn't show up in the battle as a sniper. Would have rocked!!!!

1 minute ago, jedijake said:

Goose needed to come help. Imagine the interplay between Goose and Rocket.

Still pissed that Fury didn't show up in the battle as a sniper. Would have rocked!!!!

I am slightly surprised Fury had absolutely no role in the film. as one of the core original characters.

4 hours ago, justvision said:

I was resistant to IM/Tony till 2014. I found IM (movie) interesting but Tony was just too cocky for my liking. The single thing I was not fond of The Avengers (2012) was that IM/Tony got such disproportionate weightage in winning the Battle of NY by showing his smartness, superpower and willingness to sacrifice.

I even did not see IM3 in theater the next year (2013), and was even a bit annoyed that it got such BO success (OS especially in Asia) post The Avengers boost. Then in 2014 I watched IM3 on TV, and that was turning point. Despite its some justified criticisms, IM3 is a top tier MCU movie for me (Top 5 to 7), bringing the character arc of IM/Tony to another level, showing his strengths amidst his vulnerabilities. Interestingly IM never really "won" a battle against his main opponents by himself, yet he is still THE OVERALL WINNER of Infinity Saga.

Over the years I rewatched many MCU movies, and come to a steadily increasing appreciation of how great RDJ's acting is, how he so fits in the role of IM, or should I say brings IM into life. That IM/Tony character arc develops in such complex yet satisfying way from IM, IM2, TA, IM3, AoU, CA:CW, SM:H, A:IW and finally A:EG over a period of 11 years (both in MCU and in real life) is truly a remarkable cinematic event unlikely to be replicated in decades to come.

This is beautiful.

When I first went to see "Iron Man," it was because I had a friend who worked at a movie theater and I was waiting for him to get off work. I didn't think it would be a good movie at all, it was just something for me to do, so I asked him to get me in for free. 

Needless to say, I was blown away. I had the opposite reaction (I don't know if you've read the comics) and loved RDJ as Tony Stark. I knew the movie was something great, and I told everyone who would listen to go see it. I actually even convinced a few people to do so. I also saw it two times again after that (unheard of for me at that time as a broke college student) and paid each of those times. Since then, I've seen every movie in theaters and have enjoyed ever second of this amazing ride.

I can't even begin to thank everyone involved enough.

• Like 1

It’s funny to think that both the MCU and Zack Snyder’s DC universe were supposed to prominently feature time travel as a way of undoing the bad guy’s actions. I could just imagine all the unfortunate comparisons to Endgame that would’ve arisen from that.  

• Like 1

How old is Tony's child btw? Roughly 4-5?

In that case, was he right in the beginning of IW with his dream about expecting? 😛

• Like 1

Just now, Inuyaki said:

How old is Tony's child btw? Roughly 4-5?

In that case, was he right in the beginning of IW with his dream about expecting? 😛

yes I believe so. Think he mentions the child in his dying vlog at the start of the film.

Just now, Avatree said:

yes I believe so. Think he mentions the child in his dying vlog at the start of the film.

He does not, he doesn't know about the child, the last time he spoke with Pepper (2nd to last, he had a short convo when entering the ship) she told him they are not expecting

Just now, Inuyaki said:

He does not, he doesn't know about the child, the last time he spoke with Pepper (2nd to last, he had a short convo when entering the ship) she told him they are not expecting

I know but I thought at some point in endgame he says it (wishing) that he has a child on the way