Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I’d wager a bet that the Iron Man 3 kid at the funeral is going right over most peoples heads and they’re wondering who  that’s supposed to be. 

I hope they make him the New Iron Man. Was hoping for it ever since IM3

25 minutes ago, Lancelot Gold said:

It's a story that people write. Literally, everything in a movie is forced.

Just like all words are made up! :sparta:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Also did anyone notice that Aunt May was there at the funeral as well, so now it's implied she knows Peter's secret ??

5 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

Also did anyone notice that Aunt May was there at the funeral as well, so now it's implied she knows Peter's secret ??

The Far From Home trailer "implies" she knows his secret too.

So for that... half the students at the school are now 5 years older, yes? So we're assuming all of his friends in the trailer got snapped, since they're all the same age?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ithil said:

Hang on. So now "appealing to women in the audience" is equal to "forced"?

No, of course not. There are several ways of appealing to the women in the audience that are natural in the story. There was nothing in Black Panther that felt forced in that sense, and there were multiple well done female characters.

3 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

tumblr_of5wq2OuE61qa7lv4o1_500.gif

I am truly sorry for you that you live in a world where you can't just APPRECIATE the EPIC BEAUTY of that scene. 

I'm just going to finally post what I wrote the @Porthos privately after the Captain Marvel reactions dropped because it's basically the same thing:

Was it pandering or clearly a "forced" money shot?  Your god damn right.  And I -- and all of my other ladies in the theater -- deserved it.

Even from your perspective, wouldn't you prefer to have well built moments that make you feel represented? Why are you content with one that didn't have story consistency?

Someone mentioned before that if there was a scene with all the men no one would care. And I disagree, if they made a scene where they clearly intentionally made all men and only the men of the team to show up at the same place, when there was no reason for such, it would be clearly forced.

3 hours ago, Avatree said:

nothing wrong with pandering, this is after all a product made to be sold to an audience. The only thing is that when there's a moment of pandering, if you're not the one being pandered to then it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Even when you're the one being pandered to. After I read @captainwondyful's response, I asked my wife what she thought about the scene (she just watched it, and I hadn't told her my own opinion about it) and she said she found it silly and unnecessary.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’d wager a bet that the Iron Man 3 kid at the funeral is going right over most peoples heads and they’re wondering who  that’s supposed to be. 

Teams up with Hawkeyes daughter right?

1 minute ago, ThiagoMaia said:

No, of course not. There are several ways of appealing to the women in the audience that are natural in the story. There was nothing in Black Panther that felt forced in that sense, and there were multiple well done female characters.

Even from your perspective, wouldn't you prefer to have well built moments that make you feel represented? Why are you content with one that didn't have story consistency?

Someone mentioned before that if there was a scene with all the men no one would care. And I disagree, if they made a scene where they clearly intentionally made all men and only the men of the team to show up at the same place, when there was no reason for such, it would be clearly forced.

Even when you're the one being pandered to. After I read @captainwondyful's response, I asked my wife what she thought about the scene (she just watched it, and I hadn't told her my own opinion about it) and she said she found it silly and unnecessary.

LOL did you not watch... all of human history? Or even, the rest of the MCU? Did you complain that they shoehorned Black Widow into the original Avengers shot? That 360 shot was as contrived as the Endgame all female shot.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

So for that... half the students at the school are now 5 years older, yes? So we're assuming all of his friends in the trailer got snapped, since they're all the same age?

No one clearly knows what's going to happen, maybe that will be the biggest selling point for FFH now. IMO it would be plot convenient if all his friends got snapped just like how all the original 6 Avengers survived the snap.

I also remember Feige in an interview saying FFH is the end of this phase and not Endgame so maybe this is the reason he said that, the after-effects of coming after 5 years.

For example - If someone's spouse got snapped and he/she married again and now his original spouse comes back after 5 years, what will be the implications or your younger sibling is now your elder sibling etc.

Edited by oMeriMombatti

17 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

She knows Peter worked for Tony as an intern. 

18 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

12 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

She found out at the end of Homecoming.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

Er, she found out at the end of Homecoming. 

SplendidUnluckyHydatidtapeworm-size_rest

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

I could see Vulture's daughter having survived and aged and them doing something along the lines of having followed in her father's footsteps and resenting that Spidey got brought back from the snap. There has to be something done with aging characters the survived. 

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

Agreed I was laughing hearing about people crying beforehand and I just let them fall. Why be embarrassed right? Everyone around me was crying. It was epic and such a wonderful but sorrow end. I absolutely love sacrifice like that despite it killing me. Imagine leaving behind the world you've built up after a diaster to help save everyone else you must force your daughter to grow up without a father. Jesus it just killed me.

Especially after your biggest fear (as revealed by Scarlett Witch in "Age of Ultron") is that everyone around you dies, while you're the only one left alive. But what ends up happening is the exact opposite... because you saved them all. :(((((((((((

4 minutes ago, Lancelot Gold said:

She found out at the end of Homecoming.

3 minutes ago, nevermore said:

Er, she found out at the end of Homecoming. 

SplendidUnluckyHydatidtapeworm-size_rest

I know about this, I just thought Peter would find a way to hide it by saying I like Spiderman (that's why I bought the suit) or something but guess not.

51 minutes ago, Lancelot Gold said:

It's a story that people write. Literally, everything in a movie is forced.

I don't believe that is so. When a story is well made, the character choices and other events happen in a way that makes some sense, that is believable. When a character makes a choice in a way that contradicts who we know him to be, just because the writer wants the story to go a certain way, that makes the audience take notice precisely of the fact that it is just a story, and it's usually considered a bad thing in writing.

Let's take another moment I found forced that doesn't have anything to do with female representation:

When Cap is fighting past Cap, past Cap says "I can do this all day". I found that a bit forced, because that's not the kind of situation on which Cap has used that phrase before, the others had been situations in which Cap had been taking a beating, and past Cap says that still at the beginning of the fight. Which shows the writers really wanted to include this joke, but couldn't find a more fitting way to have Cap say it. That took me out of the movie for a second, but as it was only one line, and it was played for laughs it's a little bit smaller of a problem. Also, this takes more attention to notice, and someone could argue that it's not out of character.

The women part is a longer moment, and is noticeable (I mean, even people who liked that there were only women there have to admit it was intentional on the filmakers part to have all women and only women there at that moment), and just like an out of character choice, it doesn't have a natural in-universe explanation to it. Specially considering Captain Marvel didn't need help at all. 

But I agree, there are other similar things in this movie, and I can appreciate the result, even though I would prefer for there to be more natural ways to reach it. So, just as I like the joke that resulted of Cap downplaying his past self's perseverance, I can appreciate the action scene that resulted of all the women being together to the fight, but on both cases I would have preferred if they weren't included in the movie in a way that is illogical to the story.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThiagoMaia said:

I don't believe that is so. When a story is well made, the character choices and other events happen in a way that makes some sense, that is believable.

I agree.

I didn't even realize the scene with Okoye, Black Widow, and Scarlett Witch fighting Proxima Midnight was supposed to be a "girl power" moment until some people here were saying it.

That's incorporating an agenda into a story, but not completely taking you out of the story to do so.

18 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

LOL did you not watch... all of human history? Or even, the rest of the MCU? Did you complain that they shoehorned Black Widow into the original Avengers shot? That 360 shot was as contrived as the Endgame all female shot.

Why was it as contrived? All the characters there were the characters of the movie, they all had a reason to be there. If you're talking about the power level, then yes, but I would exclude both her and Hawkeye, they are both weak there, and people have complained about that since the movie came out.

Now that I have calmed down and collected my thoughts since thursday I think this really is my favorite marvel movie. Maybe my favorite movie ever. I have same minor problems, mainly with handling of the time travelling shenaningas and the ending of Steves arc but all the good way overshadows them. Besides I feel that when I finally get to rewatch (might take until next weekened *sigh*) and see it from different perspective I might change my mind about those complaints. As a moviegoing experience this was so epic and powerful too and I couldn't have asked a better crowd to share it with. Even being spoiled didn't hinder it. (shoutout to that asshole on tumblr talking about it without spoilertags and literally tagging tonynat gifset with "you deserved so much better :(". Yes, I fully intend to be bitter about this for the rest of my life)

I just want to say I'm incredibly thankful to everyone involved with this movie, particularly to Russo brothers and Markus and Mcfeely. I think they are all criminally underrated and I feel annoyed everytime when I see someone talk about them dismissively, like saying Russos are "journeyman directors" for example. IMO there are not many directors and writers in the industry who could have pulled this off. I unironically think they are brilliant. My favorite thing in their movies has always been their characterization. I don't remember anymore who of them said it, but there was this quote of how they try to always keep in mind that every character is somebody's favorite character and they try to do it justice. You can see that attitude everywhere across all these four movies. At times, I feel like I can almost sense all the love and care they have put in for all these characters. Russos said that they weren't iniatially interested in Cap as a character but you would never believe it from these movies. While I didn't really like his ending in this movie I trust that Russos and co contemplated it for long and thoroughly and I have a feeling I might end up agreeing with their reasoning over time. They turned Natasha, a somewhat 1-dimensional badass sex symbol, into a fully rounded and complex woman and gave her important platonic relationships. They somehow made me care about Hawkeye. In CW, IW and EG Tony has been better written than ever since IM1. As a huge Tony fan I was at the time nervous that they would ruin his character in CW and just make him play villainous role for Steve (comic wise I don't think his character ever recovered from civil war arc) but instead they gave me back that Tony I fell in love when I was 10. Even almost every minor character whether introduced in their movies or somebody else's feels so well-rounded. I think poor Sharon is pretty much the only exception.

IDK, I feel like I could write a massive thesis of this movie and probaly will at some point lol, but right now I just feel so happy and thankful. Sad, but happy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Glad this movie touched someone like this. We tend to forget that in our typical internet cynicism sometimes.