Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

Tony's death was very rough and when Happy's talking to Morgan, the point really hits home.:whosad:

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Nebula was awful in Guardians 1 but has been a real highlight ever since

Seems to be a recurring thing for the MCU I think

- Thor... bland at first, and now a very interesting and deep character with incredible strength but countless failings as well. Also way more popular than he was before Thor 3.

- Nebula, as highlighted so far in this thread.

- Black Widow, basically a femme fatale to fill up the "female quota" of the MCU at first, and now, in this movie she has one of the biggest emotional arcs.

- Captain America, started as a bit of a joke, even in the original Avengers, and the Russos took his character and made something memorable with it.

Tony's been interesting since day 1 though. It started with his struggle with manufacturing weapons, how immoral it is, and now he's literally saved the world. What an arc!

Vision went full reverse though. Started interesting as fuck and now...  :whosad:

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

Of all the characters, they really botched Vision the worst since. He had so much promises in Ultron.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

She didn't do it b/c he has a family-  which so what - she's not worth less b/c she never had the privileged of having a genetic/marital family - and now won't get the chance.  It's because all those years ago when he was sent out to kill her for SHIELD he saw something in her, he saved her life and gave her the opportunity for a new life and to be part of his family and then The Avengers who became her family.   Still, it hurt.  It wasn't fair that she had to die, neither was it fair for Tony but they went out huge heroes making the biggest sacrifices.

I am not saying that she did it because of his family. I am saying that the filmmakers constructed it such that the guy that has a family survives. I think that there is a subtle difference.

Overall i did enjoy the movie. Basically fanservice from beginning to end, but most of it earned :)

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Seems to be a recurring thing for the MCU I think

- Thor... bland at first, and now a very interesting and deep character with incredible strength but countless failings as well. Also way more popular than he was before Thor 3.

- Nebula, as highlighted so far in this thread.

- Black Widow, basically a femme fatale to fill up the "female quota" of the MCU at first, and now, in this movie she has one of the biggest emotional arcs.

- Captain America, started as a bit of a joke, even in the original Avengers, and the Russos took his character and made something memorable with it.

Tony's been interesting since day 1 though. It started with his struggle with manufacturing weapons, how immoral it is, and now he's literally saved the world. What an arc!

Vision went full reverse though. Started interesting as fuck and now...  :whosad:

1. Gillan as Nebula was terrible in GOTG.  Just bad.  Not the character but the acting.  Really good though in GOTG2 and at her best in this movie
  2. Thor was good fun in his first movie  - even if Loki stole the show.  It's TDW that took him a step back
  3. Black Widow was a mono dimension femme fatale spy in IM2 but she's been an interesting character since Avengers and hit her stride in TWS
  4. Steve Rogers was great from the first skinny second.  Marcus & McFeely and Evans had the character down from day one well before the Russos.
  5. Vision was more interesting in CW and AIW as we saw him reach to become human than in AOU when he was a know it all lift the hammer god like 1 day old
Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, acetabulum said:

I'm not sure how that scene could have played out any more differently than it could.  I mean I guess they could play different music, but you want the consistency of being in the same situation, only this time they were sacrificing themselves vs getting viciously flung over.

I'm not talking about the pre-death scene, I'm talking about the actual death scene. Shot and scored identically, so again lost some impact for me.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, chuck0 said:

I am not saying that she did it because of his family. I am saying that the filmmakers constructed it such that the guy that has a family survives. I think that there is a subtle difference.

Overall i did enjoy the movie. Basically fanservice from beginning to end, but most of it earned :)

Tony had a family and he died - a family he got to spend far less than time with than Clint did.

Edited by TalismanRing

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

Awful, just like its predecessor. It’s all fanservice and time travel exposition. Sad moment followed by Sad Violin cue happening so many times was comic (especially the one at Thor’e cabin). Liked Cap Marvel.

0/10

I thought the fanservice was pretty great and thats why it succeded so well.

Directors of a certain other franchise should take note.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Tony had a family and he died - a family he got to send far less than tie with than Clint did.

yes he is the main character. Doing another "family looses its dad" in the same movie would have cheapened Tonys sacrifice. Sacrificing Hawkguy was not an option from a dramatical point of view the way all of this has been set up.

• Like 1

Having had time to digest, I have come to the conclusion that Engame was pretty terrific, right up there with Wonder Woman for me as the top CBMs.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AndyK said:

I thought the fanservice was pretty great and thats why it succeded so well.

Directors of a certain other franchise should take note.

Will there even be time for Simon Kinberg to reshoot X-Men? Again? 

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:
  1. Gillan as Nebula was terrible in GOTG.  Just bad.  Not the character but the acting.  Really good though in GOTG and her best in this movie
  2. Thor was good fun in his first movie  - even if Loki stole the show.  It's TDW that took him a step back
  3. Black Widow was a mono dimension femme fate spy in IM2 but she's been an interesting character since Avengers and hit her stride in TWS
  4. Steve Rogers was great from the first skinny second.  Marcus & McFeely and Evans had the character down from day one well before the Russos.
  5. Vision was more interesting in CW and AIW as we saw him reach to become human than in AOU when he was a know it all lift the hammer god like 1 day old

Mostly agreed, though I found Rogers painfully dull in TFA

• Disbelief 1
  • Not Cool 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm not talking about the pre-death scene, I'm talking about the actual death scene. Shot and scored identically, so again lost some impact for me.

I was thinking about it and I think that's my only problem with that scene too. I actually liked what led up to that moment and how it contrasted with Thanos/Gamora, but the way they used the exact some shot of her splayed on the ground and the camera pulling up felt kinda lame. And that her death doesn't have much gravity afterwards which plenty others have pointed out. Felt like it just happened, everyone was sad for a few minutes then onto the next thing.

Just now, Sam said:

Will there even be time for Simon Kinberg to reshoot X-Men? Again? 

:rofl:

Only if he pays for it out of his own pocket. 

A rumored $200m for that movie already.  Sheesh

I have to ask again - what was with fat Thor? What was even the point in that?

Just got back from a second viewing, and it confirms an important point for me. New Asgard is in Scotland. The Irn Bru is a giveaway. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Showing how broken he was after Infinity War. To me it was a wonderful mix of comedy but also some good pathos especially with his mother. Can't have all the heroes to be shown to still be badass after tragedy strikes. Plus this isn't the end of Thor's story.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:
  1. Gillan as Nebula was terrible in GOTG.  Just bad.  Not the character but the acting.  Really good though in GOTG2 and at her best in this movie
  3. Black Widow was a mono dimension femme fatale spy in IM2 but she's been an interesting character since Avengers and hit her stride in TWS

Thor was good fun yes, but the heights he's reached since are like light years away. Sadly Endgame took a small step back in my opinion but Thor 3 + AIW, his character was absolutely incredible.

Black Widow has had a few moments I agree. But her character work in this movie surpasses the others by far, at least I think.

Personally never really dug Steve until TWS ...

And I fully disagree on Vision. It's been downhill since his inception. He's been reduced to weak love interest, bleh.

Just now, JB33 said:

He was depressed as hell for having failed.  He stayed locked up in his hut eating, drinking and playing video games - for FIVE years.  He obviously stopped a physically strenuous life and he gained a lot of weight.

It was also funny as hell because in every movie there's a shirtless shot of Hemsworth - no matter if it makes any sense - there he is shirtless - and well this time there he was and as the camera slowly panned in as it's want around a shirtless Thor - he was well... fat.    The flip side of everyone caressing and drooling over  the Pirate Angel's muscles from AIW.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Just got back from a second viewing, and it confirms an important point for me. New Asgard is in Scotland. The Irn Bru is a giveaway. 

No it's Norway, they just like imported drinks.