Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

2 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Showing how broken he was after Infinity War. To me it was a wonderful mix of comedy but also some good pathos especially with his mother. Can't have all the heroes to be shown to still be badass after tragedy strikes. Plus this isn't the end of Thor's story.

This. Thor had pretty much given up on life and taking care of himself. His life pretty much had no purpose, hence why he got fat. It made sense. It seems some people didn't like that. But., I've seen people gain a lot of weight after a tragic event, a bad breakup, a death of someone close, etc. This sort of thing actually happens irl.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

This. Thor had pretty much given up on life and taking care of himself. His life pretty much had no purpose, hence why he got fat. It made sense. It seems some people didn't like that. But., I've seen people gain a lot of weight after a tragic event, a bad breakup, a death of someone close, etc. This sort of thing actually happens irl.

Yeah I thought fat Thor was a really effective way to show how far he'd fallen

• Like 2

Film Snobs: film is fan service.

Fans: We waited 11 years, fuck off 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And, anyone who says this undid previous Thor development is wrong. This is just a further evolution of the character.

20 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I have to ask again - what was with fat Thor? What was even the point in that?

Wikipedia:

Chris Hemsworth as Thor:

An Avenger and the king of Asgard, based on the Norse mythological deity of the same name.[9] Thor now wields a mystical axe known as Stormbreaker, after the destruction of his hammer Mjolnir in Thor: Ragnarok.[15] In the film, Thor has become an overweight, drunken ruler of Asgard's refugees in Tønsberg, Norway. Referencing this drastic character change, Hemsworth said, "I just had an opinion. I wanted to do something different this time. Each film I’ve wanted to, in particular, the last couple, and they were on board," and added, "We shot for many hours and days and discussed how far could we push (Thor) and what we could do different."[16]

I thought it was hilarious and also in-character. Thor isnt the person to sink in grief and sorrow. Its realistic imo that he would try to drink and eat away his problems.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Scarlett was definitely an MVP in the movie. Very glad we're getting a solo film with her. 

I’ll be glad if it can move the present day plot forward in some way, which seems... possible but tricky.

40 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Tony had a family and he died - a family he got to spend far less than time with than Clint did.

Need at least two kids to really ensure your survival, I guess.

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I’ll be glad if it can move the present day plot forward in some way, which seems... possible but tricky.

It seems weird that we are getting her film unless it somehow ties into Phase 4 somehow. My guess is it involves Skrulls and Avengers 5 is Secret Invasion. That's the only reason a prequel would make sense.

i kinda hate it and loved at the same time

3 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Need at least two kids to really ensure your survival, I guess.

I guess they also have to be blood or adopted b/c being a surrogate dad to Peter and Harley counted for shit

Wonder how many kids Cap has now, if any with Peggy. Does this mean his children are living in some alternate reality?

1 hour ago, TServo2049 said:

I will say that there were a few moments that almost reminded me of classic-Zemeckis-era Silvestri. Only a couple. Much as I like the Cap and Avengers themes, I do wish his modern scores felt a little closer to his older stuff. (I LOVE the Back to the Future scores.)

The Back to the Future scores are great but tonally stuff like that would feel completely ridiculous in movies like Infinity War and Endgame. I do feel like Silvestri upped his game for these two compared to Captain America 1 and Avengers (both of which I liked).

yeah I think they should not have brought back old man captain america

Should have had Captain tell Bucky what he wanted (so he gives the mantel to Falcon) and Captain has his dance.

Think old man Captain really messed up the timelines issues. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Just got back from a second viewing, and it confirms an important point for me. New Asgard is in Scotland. The Irn Bru is a giveaway. 

May have been filmed there, but the in-universe location is Tønsberg, Norway.

Posted (edited)

Captain Marvel's underdevelopment in her film feels even more pointless now. She's the only one who it felt like really had no place in the film and no real payoff by being in it. They should have waited to introduce her until after this one and focused on taking their time writing a tighter script and arc for her film. She's the only character I genuinely couldn't care less about moving forward. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3
  • Not Cool 2

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Should have had Captain tell Bucky what he wanted (so he gives the mantel to Falcon) and Captain has his dance.

Was just going to write something along these lines. I mean they could have had him return as old man Cap through the quantum gate thingy... that would probably not have messed up the time travel stuff that much.

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

We got old man Cap in the comics. This does allow Marvel to give him a cameo here and there if he is up to it. Also, if Evans changes his mind, they can use the time machine thing on him and move time through him and make him young again. So, it allows the possibility for his return if he ever so desires.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

It's messed up with or without old man Captain.