Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Gotta say I'm looking forward to seeing what the Russo bros do after this. I know they're making an addiction-themed action movie with Tom Holland that sounds like his answer to Oscar nominees Timothee Chalamet (his one time competition to play the same Peter/Spidey) and Lucas Hedges recently playing drug dudes but hopefully they get some nice gigs after handling these movies (and especially after handling the enormous scope of these two) and don't find themselves in a David Yates situation where they seem chained to almost exclusively making movies from within the billion dollar franchise they're famous for.

They have their own production company (with M&M) so they're creating & choosing their own projects and hiring other directors for films they're producing etc

They also have some deal with MGM that I don't understand - why do they want to be involved in MGM remakes of their vault.

Thinking about it,  as much as i had problems with the messy plotting of Endgame, Marvel was smart to bring in the alternate timelines element. It gives them a way to bring back Tony, Natasha, Cap and anyone else they want at a later date without undoing the events of Endgame. I can see them doing a Secret Wars movie 5-10 years from now and bringing back some or all of these characters (digitally de-aged if necessary) and explaining it as the Beyonder just plucking them from the past or an alternate timeline. That would also be the best way to introduce the X-Men to the MCU, since it would explain why no one has mentioned mutants before, as well as addressing the biggest flaw of the Marvel Universe in the comics, namely why people fear and hate mutants but are fine with regular super-powered folk.

Couple of things I picked on my 2nd viewing:

-absolutely LOVE the way they unsnapped the dusted characters and then immediately things go to shit and its so fucking INTENSE that you literally forgot that all the snapped characters are back now! when the portals started opening I was like... wtf is happening and then it finally hit me that THEY'RE BACK!! great use of distraction lol

-the thanos development: I know some people think thanos was lamer here but honestly I don't see it at all. if anything it proves that even with MUCH less screentime he's still so formidable and scary? not only did past!thanos figure out what was going on but he also upped the stakes by learning from it all and deciding that this time he was going to snap everyone's memories of the dusted too. that allowed the heroes to not only have to stop the snappening again but also a MUCH WORSE version of it.

-after watching the battle of winterfell episode GoT, I really started to appreciate how both IW and Endgame use the "canon fodder" army. like on GoT, it was all just so floppy and I could barely see what was going on (that fucking lighting lol). in IW and Endgame, while things are chaotic, I could at least see what character was doing what!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanos isn't lame he's just showing what he is really is. A hypocritical, evil, vindictive, super powerful monster. He cries about Ronan being too arrogant yet he got tricked by a human I'm the end. Still damn he can fight! I love Brolin so much, man he killed it!

Lack of vision is incredibly disappointing (white vision of course) and a little more before Ironmans snap showing the level of peril are the 2 main complaints I had. Still so much better than infinity war which was worse with every viewing. This held up well. Damn Iron Man scene made me cry again. Black Widow as well.

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I guess since we can't discuss spoilers in this topic we're ranking again. 

The MCU quiz is very handy since I find ranking pretty nebulous.

It changes with re-watches and moods but as of now

First 12:  A+  to A-

Next 10: B+ to D (only D is TDW)

1. Avengers: Endgame
  2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  3. Avengers: Infinity War
  4. Captain America: Civil War
  5. Iron Man
  6. Captain America: The First Avenger
  7. Iron Man 3
  8. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  9. The Avengers
  10. Thor: Ragnarok
  11. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  12. Black Panther
  13. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  14. Ant-Man
  15. Thor
  16. Captain Marvel
  17. Doctor Strange
  18. Guardians of the Galaxy
  19. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  20. Iron Man 2
  21. The Incredible Hulk
  22. Thor: The Dark World

Huh. That did a remarkably good job of producing a ranking I agree with.  I got:

1. GotG

2. Infinity War

3. Civil War

4. End Game

5. Ragnarok

6. The Avengers

7. Winter Soldier

8. Dr Strange

9. AM & TW

10. BP

11. SM: Homecoming

12. Iron Man

13. Captain Marvel

14. Ant-Man

15. CA: First Avenger

16. Thor

17. IM 3

18. AoU

19. GotG 2

20. IM 2

21. Thor: DW

22. Hulk

A little surprised BP and IM aren't higher and that AM&TW isn't lower, but generally I'm ok with it.

4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

NY Times interview with Marcus & McFeely - it's a breakdown of the choices they made in the script, they don't get into everything they cover a lot

They wrote a master document in 2015 for the movies while they were filming Civil War

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/29/movies/avengers-endgame-explainer.html

This was insightful thanks. Looks like the leaks and toys about Hulk bursting out last minute in IW were true and filmed. Must have gotten a bad response to change it after all that. 

I feel bad for Chris H, because of the main 3 it's clear EVERYONE thought he was just 'there' (not me though, always been my fave), but people are really unhappy with Thor in Endgame. His character seems so hard to make palatable to everyone all of the time. I know people that hated his change in Ragnarok. Then people who hated his changes in IW. Now this. They're putting all the blame on the Russos, but I don't know if that's fair. This is something the actor wanted. I can maybe get why it's polarizing, but I feel like  it made sense consider the character they've been setting up since Ragnarok. I really hope we see more of him. Maybe a cameo in Guardians to keep him in people's memories, then another solo outing when he comes back for Valkyrie and the others.

Would have been cool to see Tony in Asgard though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thedast said:

This was insightful thanks. Looks like the leaks and toys about Hulk bursting out last minute in IW were true and filmed. Must have gotten a bad response to change it after all that. 

I feel bad for Chris H, because of the main 3 it's clear EVERYONE thought he was just 'there' (not me though, always been my fave), but people are really unhappy with Thor in Endgame. His character seems so hard to make palatable to everyone all of the time. I know people that hated his change in Ragnarok. Then people who hated his changes in IW. Now this. They're putting all the blame on the Russos, but I don't know if that's fair. This is something the actor wanted. I can maybe get why it's polarizing, but I feel like  it made sense consider the character they've been setting up since Ragnarok. I really hope we see more of him. Maybe a cameo in Guardians to keep him in people's memories, then another solo outing when he comes back for Valkyrie and the others.

Would have been cool to see Tony in Asgard though.

I mean the Thor in Endgame was basically Thor of Ragnarok just with a beer belly lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I would have only liked two changes.

- No old Captain America... He should have gone back in time and he did not come back and Bucky smiles as Cap told him what he wanted...Could be a voiceover or recording with him talking to Falcon and a reforged Shield is given. 

A lot of people I know who watched the movie confused in how Captain Comes back as an old man and I do too. Movies with time travel can really get confusing but this really pushed the enevlope in making sense.

This next one is me being a fanboy...

Well you have Thanos with 6 stones and Thor and Captain Marvel and SW.. I wanted some DBZ action with power beams and such and maybe instead of Iron Man solo somehow magically taking the stones, maybe a combined effort all out to save the Universe and where Iron Man still dies.

Edited by Lordmandeep

I thought fat Thor was played for laughs bit more than it should. But the implications behind the change is still very much in line with his character and resolved perfectly with the talk with Frigga

Hemmy proves he’s still excel in comedy. The scene of him basically recited the plot of The Dark World was hilarious.

Actually, I love that whole Time Heist brainstorming sequence. It’s so fun.

• Like 3

I would have rather Captain gave a letter to Bucky who reads it to Falcon presenting him with a special shield made for him.

The initial reveal of Big Lebowski Thor had my audience laughing for 30 seconds.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I would have rather Captain gave a letter to Bucky who reads it to Falcon presenting him with a special shield made for him.

That means we got subjected to more Bucky.

Pass.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I would have only liked two changes.

- No old Captain America... He should have gone back in time and he did not come back and Bucky smiles as Cap told him what he wanted...Could be a voiceover or recording with him talking to Falcon and a reforged Shield is given. 

A lot of people I know who watched the movie confused in how Captain Comes back as an old man and I do too. Movies with time travel can really get confusing but this really pushed the enevlope in making sense.

This next one is me being a fanboy...

Well you have Thanos with 6 stones and Thor and Captain Marvel and SW.. I wanted some DBZ action with power beams and such and maybe instead of Iron Man solo somehow magically taking the stones, maybe a combined effort all out to save the Universe and where Iron Man still dies.

Iron man taking the stones was something he probably programmed into it In case they needed it to be removed. It would have been a little better if he used the Iron Man 3 style of redirecting the gauntlet off of Thanos and into his own hand before snapping. But that’s just a minor preference 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun

1 minute ago, Sam said:

Pass.

Oh my well fine whoever lol

Posted (edited)

I also don’t think Thanos was any worse in this than IW. The one in IW won, completely. The Avengers were only able to reverse it because if access to the microverse. 

As he dies, it seems like Thanos is thinking “wtf did I do to these people”

Edited by HouseOfTheSun

6 minutes ago, Sam said:

Pass.

Watch Disney get Sebastian Stan and not Evans (thus failing to complete the Chris hat trick: they got Pratt last December and Hemsworth the year before) to narrate Candlelight at Disney Land this year because life is unfair like that.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The initial reveal of Big Lebowski Thor had my audience laughing for 30 seconds.

My crowd went 'oooo' when they were teasing him being shirtless, and then broke into hysterical laughter when they realized they'd just been played.

While I enjoyed the movie overall I didn’t think it was great or amazing or anything like that. 

Best part for me was Dr. Strange letting Tony know that this was that one time by just putting up his finger and Tony realizing what he had to do. 

I.....am......Ironman

Tony figuring out the whole time travel thing happened a little too fast but that’s a minor nit pick, really. 

The part where Loki grabs the cube and disappears was a totally obvious set up for his show on Disney+, lol

The moment they decided Hawkey and BW were the ones going to Vormir I knew she was dying. Hawkeye had an actual family to go back to so no surprise there. 

Final battle was good but I was thinking there should have been more dialogue between Tony and Pepper when they were fighting together. 

I liked the scene where they were testing out the time travel with Scott and when they go to get Thor in new Asgard. I thought the whole time travel section was very well done also. 

Think I still like IW better but I’ll watch it again and see. 

Wow, was this film something quite special. Honestly, people complaining about the 1st two hours, I don't get you because I was in it all the way through :ph34r:

I do agree that the old Cap thing was a bit on the baffling end of things and they should've just shown him returning to Peggy. I don't know if the two timelines (the original one and the new one he forged for himself) could converge like that, it seems quite dubious imo. That's definitely my biggest issue with the film.

That being said, apart from other minor quibbles here and there, I feel like the film absolutely nailed it as far as being an epic, emotional conclusion to the 21 films that came before it. I honestly think all acts worked really well as they bring totally different experiences.... the 1st one being an emotional funeral, the 2nd one the Time Heist which I found totally wacky and fun (loved how it took the piss at every trope of some of the other MCU films, like pretty much the entirety of The Dark World's plot or how the Power Stone was unprotected at the beginning of GOTG), and the 3rd the insanely Godly epic war with everyone and their mothers fighting.

RDJ, Evans, ScarJo, Hemsworth, Renner and Rudd were probably the MVP's of the cast. Everyone was good, if not great, but these six were especially stellar imo. Although Holland was incredible in the little short while he was there too.

I didn't mind Thanos' role here, I thought they did totally fine by him, they showed him as a reeeeally strong fighter who could give all of the Avengers at once a run for their money without the Gauntlet, they gave him some great lines and showed him as the psychopathic and selfish monster he really is. He's a lot more of a one dimensional villain here than in IW, sure, but they already estabilished his character in IW and they just gave him a fitting enough conclusion.

I also liked that the humor was kinda awkward, because it felt right for the tone of the film. I didn't find myself LOL'ing like in IW, but I did laugh quite a few times. Fat Thor felt so much like a Taika Waititi trick (so fitting that Korg and Valkyrie were here!!!!) and while maybe a little overplayed and awkward at times, I do feel like, again, it worked for the tone of the film. And it perfectly captured his whole arc in the MCU.

But Stark really did have the most shine, and his + Natasha's endings were absolutely perfect. As was pretty much that whole 3rd act climax. I also don't have any gripes with the Time Heist at all, as the time travel concept used here was pretty clear and allowed for some great shenanigans + pretty much made sense all the way through (apart from Cap's ending, of course.... which would have been perfect if they ditched the old Cap thing altogether and just showed him getting his dance with Peggy). And also, I do like the fact that they didn't unkill anyone who didn't get dusted but still died in IW. Except Gamora, sure, but she returned as parallel timeline Gamora anyway, not as her from the original films, which makes for a compelling plot for Vol. 3 (whenever that ends up happening).

Captain Marvel had a pretty short stint, but even here I got a better sense of her as a character and a personality than in her own movie.... which is tragic if you're Boden and Fleck. And yeah, everyone else was right about on point.

Even from a visual perspective, the film was pretty much mostly on point........ that shot of Cap on his own, with the sun shining on him against the dark cloud in the other side, walking up to the army was pure beauty. Best cinematography from a Russos MCU film, for sure (not that it's much of a match, as only Infinity War comes close, but yeah). Best overall cinematography in the MCU still likely goes to Ragnarok, but again, Endgame is right up there. And speaking of bests, was Silvestri's score the best one in the franchise? Cause every single piece was awesome.

So yeah. Terrific film. Top 5 MCU film for me, beating out Black Panther. Dunno about #1 or anything and, for the moment, I still have Infinity War above it as it was a superior narrative overall. But I'm sure EG may grow higher upon rewatches.

• Like 6