Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

As people asked repeatedly about Spider-Man and friend at school, Gavin retweeted this (as maybe a spoiler for Spider-Man HC in spoiler tags even if I think its not a spoiler, just to be sure):

Spoiler

📰|Russo brothers were interviewed by one of Chinese media .here is the translation. they talked about the age of Peter and his friends and their timeline.

D5Ut09CU4AMs_WM.jpg

D5Ut2MWUIAUvomJ.jpg

Lot of laughs from my audience when all the major time travel movies were name dropped and Hot Tub Time Machine was one of them. Sebastian Stan was in that movie too as the bully! Opens up the possibility the actors themselves also exist within the MCU's world. :thinking:

Edited by filmlover

Ragnarok Thor was daft, sure, but he was selfless, smart (ended up getting one-up on Hulk, Loki, Val, Hela...everyone) and grew to be a strong leader. Endgame Thor was everything he criticised Valkyrie for being (and her letting him get away with this didn't sit right either). Ragnarok ends with Thor realising that 'Asgard is a people' and he was finally ready to take the throne; Endgame ends with Thor ditching the throne and his people to be with the guardians because...people wanted to see Thor with the guardians? I know he's been through a lot, but his decisions here (same with Cap's) just didn't feel right.

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Goffe said:

that would explain why people love their mcu so much

This doesn’t even make sense but I’m sure it was a good slam in your head

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Lot of laughs from my audience when all the major time travel movies were name dropped and Hot Tub Time Machine was one of them. Sebastian Stan was in that movie too as the bully! Opens up the possibility the actors themselves also exist within the MCU's world. :thinking:

This movie also referenced The Big Lebowski, which starred Jeff Bridges, who played Obadiah Stane in the first Iron Man film. 

This stuff isn’t new. There are all sorts of instances of the MCU referencing other things that MCU actors were involved in. Just to give an example, this franchise has also referenced Star Wars a few times, and as we all know, Samuel L. Jackson and Natalie Portman were in the prequel trilogy. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Wow, was this film something quite special. Honestly, people complaining about the 1st two hours, I don't get you because I was in it all the way through :ph34r:

I do agree that the old Cap thing was a bit on the baffling end of things and they should've just shown him returning to Peggy. I don't know if the two timelines (the original one and the new one he forged for himself) could converge like that, it seems quite dubious imo. That's definitely my biggest issue with the film.

That being said, apart from other minor quibbles here and there, I feel like the film absolutely nailed it as far as being an epic, emotional conclusion to the 21 films that came before it. I honestly think all acts worked really well as they bring totally different experiences.... the 1st one being an emotional funeral, the 2nd one the Time Heist which I found totally wacky and fun (loved how it took the piss at every trope of some of the other MCU films, like pretty much the entirety of The Dark World's plot or how the Power Stone was unprotected at the beginning of GOTG), and the 3rd the insanely Godly epic war with everyone and their mothers fighting.

RDJ, Evans, ScarJo, Hemsworth, Renner and Rudd were probably the MVP's of the cast. Everyone was good, if not great, but these six were especially stellar imo. Although Holland was incredible in the little short while he was there too.

I didn't mind Thanos' role here, I thought they did totally fine by him, they showed him as a reeeeally strong fighter who could give all of the Avengers at once a run for their money without the Gauntlet, they gave him some great lines and showed him as the psychopathic and selfish monster he really is. He's a lot more of a one dimensional villain here than in IW, sure, but they already estabilished his character in IW and they just gave him a fitting enough conclusion.

I also liked that the humor was kinda awkward, because it felt right for the tone of the film. I didn't find myself LOL'ing like in IW, but I did laugh quite a few times. Fat Thor felt so much like a Taika Waititi trick (so fitting that Korg and Valkyrie were here!!!!) and while maybe a little overplayed and awkward at times, I do feel like, again, it worked for the tone of the film. And it perfectly captured his whole arc in the MCU.

But Stark really did have the most shine, and his + Natasha's endings were absolutely perfect. As was pretty much that whole 3rd act climax. I also don't have any gripes with the Time Heist at all, as the time travel concept used here was pretty clear and allowed for some great shenanigans + pretty much made sense all the way through (apart from Cap's ending, of course.... which would have been perfect if they ditched the old Cap thing altogether and just showed him getting his dance with Peggy). And also, I do like the fact that they didn't unkill anyone who didn't get dusted but still died in IW. Except Gamora, sure, but she returned as parallel timeline Gamora anyway, not as her from the original films, which makes for a compelling plot for Vol. 3 (whenever that ends up happening).

Captain Marvel had a pretty short stint, but even here I got a better sense of her as a character and a personality than in her own movie.... which is tragic if you're Boden and Fleck. And yeah, everyone else was right about on point.

Even from a visual perspective, the film was pretty much mostly on point........ that shot of Cap on his own, with the sun shining on him against the dark cloud in the other side, walking up to the army was pure beauty. Best cinematography from a Russos MCU film, for sure (not that it's much of a match, as only Infinity War comes close, but yeah). Best overall cinematography in the MCU still likely goes to Ragnarok, but again, Endgame is right up there. And speaking of bests, was Silvestri's score the best one in the franchise? Cause every single piece was awesome.

So yeah. Terrific film. Top 5 MCU film for me, beating out Black Panther. Dunno about #1 or anything and, for the moment, I still have Infinity War above it as it was a superior narrative overall. But I'm sure EG may grow higher upon rewatches.

Thanks for the review! Good read. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Oh God, I am giggling. My friend sent me this yesterday and I got stuck in like a time loop for ten minutes and never finished. :rofl:How long did it take you? 

Current Manual Ranking:

God Tier:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

2. Avengers: End Game

3. Black Panther

4. Avengers: Infinity War

5. Captain Marvel

6. Captain America: The First Avenger
7. Thor: Ragnarok

Excellent:

8. Captain America: Civil War

9. Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2

10. Marvel’s The Avengers
11. Guardians of the Galaxy

12. Ant-Man And The Wasp
13. Iron Man
14. Ant-Man

Good:

15. Spider-Man: Homecoming

16. Thor

17. Iron Man Three

You Tired:

18. Iron Man II
19. Thor: The Dark World
20. The Incredible Hulk
21. Dr. Strange

Fuck You Forever:

22. Avengers: Age of Ultron

@MovieMan89

I don’t know if you are just trolling for notes or what with that Iron Man comment. The movie 💯 holds up. More importantly, we would be here without it. Hulk flopped. Just because you don’t like it, doesn’t mean it isn’t great, or doesn’t hold historical significance. There are a lot of films in cinematic history I don’t really like, but I understand why they are milestones. 

I can’t believe -I am- the one having to say this: Respect Tony Stark and his film. He deserves it. 

Nah, the character and performance are incredible, and that’s what elevates the film. I’ve never taken any credit away from that aspect, it will always be fantastic. Replace that with a more typical character/performance and please tell me how it’s not a pretty generic film though. You seem to miss my whole point that IF it didn’t have that going for it, it would be lower tier. The characterization and performance are what keep it from that. That’s my point. And when did I say that any of the other movies would exist without it? Obviously not, how is that relevant to what I was saying?

Edited by MovieMan89

This diehard DC fan Saw it yesterday. Mind blown. This and IW are the Godfather Part 1 and 2 of comic book movies. I laughed, I cried, I cheered three different times in that astonishing third act... this is truly one for the ages. Hats off to Disney and Marvel for giving us such an amazing ride these past 10 years! 👏

• Like 10

The average multiplier for the previous 21 MCU films has been about 2.7. Assuming a $356 million OW, that would give Endgame a total in the $960 million range DOM.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I guess since we can't discuss spoilers in this topic we're ranking again. 

The MCU quiz is very handy since I find ranking pretty nebulous.

It changes with re-watches and moods but as of now

First 12:  A+  to A-

Next 10: B+ to D (only D is TDW)

1. Avengers: Endgame
  2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  3. Avengers: Infinity War
  4. Captain America: Civil War
  5. Iron Man
  6. Captain America: The First Avenger
  7. Iron Man 3
  8. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  9. The Avengers
  10. Thor: Ragnarok
  11. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  12. Black Panther
  13. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  14. Ant-Man
  15. Thor
  16. Captain Marvel
  17. Doctor Strange
  18. Guardians of the Galaxy
  19. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  20. Iron Man 2
  21. The Incredible Hulk
  22. Thor: The Dark World

Damn, that is pretty close to mine... I would just swap IW and TWS and TA into top5 and IM3 way lower. Rest is okay I think :)

PS oops I found Ragnarok, this higher too. Just shift that to 5 and TA to 6 and IM3 between AM&tW and IM2.

Edited by Inuyaki

Moderation:

Not the GOT thread... especially spoilers

DO NOT POST bootlegged screenshots.  Getting tired of asking.

I did not wait for credits. Anything interesting?

On the movie itself, I am still churning it. It has some amazing moments(especially the last hour) but also part of the movie were really make you tune out. I hated Thor in this movie and we never got hulk smash back. They lost the bet with both the characters. Also feeling mixed with Cap in new timeline and how did he age? I thought he was forever young? So it appears he created an alternate timeline and came back to current timeline once Peggy died?
Iron Man was easily the best part of the movie. He has been the MVP of the MCU. He would be a hard act to replace.

Other thing was the scene around all female avengers. Does this mean we could see Female avengers only movie driven by Cap Marvel?

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

This movie also referenced The Big Lebowski, which starred Jeff Bridges, who played Obadiah Stane in the first Iron Man film. 

This stuff isn’t new. There are all sorts of instances of the MCU referencing other things that MCU actors were involved in. Just to give an example, this franchise has also referenced Star Wars a few times, and as we all know, Samuel L. Jackson and Natalie Portman were in the prequel trilogy. 

Then there was Josh Whedon referencing the Buffyverse in
"Age of Ultron". In the scene where Thor has his vision in the Norn pool. one of the things he see is a sign saying "Wolfram and Harte" the Law Firm from Hell..literaly...in "Angel".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Let's not forget the epithath on Nick Fury's fake grave in CA:Winter Soldier...

"Fair Usage" is a huge gift to joke writers....

Of course this kind of thing is easy to screw up....the GOT joke in "Solo" for instance.

Edited by dudalb

17 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Wow, this is worse than Interstellar.

No wonder dumb people like it so much. (the BO)

much watching of Dragon Ball Z best prepared me for understanding how they were doing time travel in Endgame.

Very similar concept except in DBZ Trunks knows he cant fix his future so his goal is to create a new timeline where they don't all lose so at least the people in that timeline don't know the horrors the earth faces. Where as in Endgame they are trying to go back in time to get the tools to help them in the future. The reason that Endgame could not just go for creating a new timeline as the goal is because based on the plot and them wanted to visit multiple times in past movies they would have been creating multiple alternate timelines. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sam said:

I thought fat Thor was played for laughs bit more than it should. But the implications behind the change is still very much in line with his character and resolved perfectly with the talk with Frigga

Hemmy proves he’s still excel in comedy. The scene of him basically recited the plot of The Dark World was hilarious.

Actually, I love that whole Time Heist brainstorming sequence. It’s so fun.

Problem I had with Thor in Endgame is that he is supposed to be haunted

..and pretty much his life ruined..... by his failure to take down Thantos in "IW"  ,That does not fit in well with the way his was largelyplayed for laughs. The problem is not Hemsworth, who did a good job, but the writers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The problem is not Hemsworth, who did a good job, but the writers.

Problem is Hemsworth famously campaigned for these 'laughs'. 

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Problem I had with Thor in Endgame is that he is supposed to be haunted

..and pretty much his life ruined..... by his failure to take down Thantos in "IW"  ,That does not fit in well with the way his was largelyplayed for laughs. The problem is not Hemsworth, who did a good job, but the writers.

If anything, what they did with Thor was kinda perfect. He was reduced to everything Valkyrie was at the beginning of Thor: Ragnarok - a drunk shell of his former self, and a total moron whose idiocy is only fueled by his guilt and desire to forget everything that had ever happened because he didn't make the right decisions in IW. What @ddddeeee mentions is not wrong in the sense that Valkyrie letting Thor get away with being a hypocrite was annoying (him letting go of Asgard is fine by me, though, because he probably felt like adventure awaited him after all that time spending doing jackshit and he no longer wanted to be Earthbound), but at the same time, it totally makes sense and is also a lovely taste of karma for him.

(Plus, it's obvious they wanted to make him more like Ragnarok Thor.)

• Like 1

Endgame was just as good on rewatch. Cried again twice which is strange since I never cry at films. 

Jesus it's so good. I need to see if my hating the ending of IW and fast pace changes if I watch together with End game. Besides that the visuals and fight scenes were better in IW than End Game but how a film ends matters to me. It's why I watched DH1 once, and DH2 a ton. Unfinished for me is meh but it was the right decision rather I like it or not as man did it set up End Game well.

It might be nice to have fast paced nonstop for 2.5 hours, then slow down for 2 and ratched back up. 5.5 hours though....

Did anyone watch both together for the special paired screening? I missed out on that and wish I had done it.