Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

What was Avatar's first run worldwide gross? Remember, it had the benefit of A) staying in theatres for forever, and B ) a re-release.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, JB33 said:

What was Avatar's first run worldwide gross? Remember, it had the benefit of A) staying in theatres for forever, and B ) a re-release.

$2.749b

It was re-released as a different cut with extended footage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(2009_film)

By the end of its first theatrical release Avatar had grossed $749,766,139 in the U.S. and Canada, and $1,999,298,189 in other territories, for a worldwide total of $2,749,064,328.[5]

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2019 at 1:11 AM, Doctor Stark said:

What would be the minimum Endgame needs to gross for Disney to be able to push it over if they decided to? I’m thinking around $2.760 billion, placing it a little under $30 million away from Avatar. Best I can see unless it starts to get some ridiculously amazing drops is $1.920 billion foreign and $850 million domestic, about $20 million from Avatar. Anything beyond that would be up to Disney.

Most movie re-releases make very little this close to their original run. The best case for this is probably the movie which shall not be named, which was re-released with non-trivial bonus footage, and had a unique gotta-see-in-3D-theaters aspect, was much further out from original release, before the blu-Ray, and with heavy marketing made a whopping extra $30M. I don't think $30M is in the cards for Endgame. Endgame’s popularity means it might have $10M extra in the tank if Disney throws $20M worth of marketing at it, for a paper loss of $15M. I don’t see why Disney would go that route, especially since victory wouldn’t be guaranteed. They would lose money just to MAYBE get the record by a whopping 0.1% and (slightly) hurt the marketing for their biggest upcoming sequel. No, I think if Disney pushes it over the top, they’ll let it happen organically. Or they’ll use Hollywood accounting and say they “found” money in India or something weird like that and everyone will kind of laugh. But I don’t see how it happens organically, it’s already sub-$1M/day on weekends and $50M requires a huge multiplier from its current position for a movie that’s already out of the top 10 and getting shoved off screens. I expect the #Spendgame hashtag to be about as successful as the #AlitaChallenge.

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

It sucks when movies keep making millions every weekend in theaters that they are forced to keep showing it, its the same era when mcu started, not so long ago. Avatar had no advantages, it earned its place as the highest grossing film ever. 

• Thanks 1

It needs about another $40M to go. Blu-Ray doesn't come up until end of July. This tells me that Disney is planning a push with FFH. 

1 hour ago, CloneWars said:

It needs about another $40M to go. Blu-Ray doesn't come up until end of July. This tells me that Disney is planning a push with FFH.  

I guess they could just "transfer" the needed amount from the box office of FFH if they want to?

Disney should have canceled blu-ray/digital until 2021 and do a massive re-release next june :D +150M confirmed :D

43 minutes ago, Thomas Beck said:

I guess they could just "transfer" the needed amount from the box office of FFH if they want to?

I dont think so... FFH box office is Sony's

1 hour ago, Heroicpiglet said:

I dont think so... FFH box office is Sony's

Really? I thought it was part of the MCU?

3 hours ago, CloneWars said:

3 months after release is usually when they release Mcu movies on blu-Ray.

1 hour ago, FrozenUnicorn said:

Really? I thought it was part of the MCU?

Of course it is, but Sony are the ones distributing it. 

• Like 1

Just now, TimmyRiggins said:

Will there be fudging? Mmm.

they could, its not like the movie will fall short that much,that they can do anything

On 6/16/2019 at 6:18 AM, JB33 said:

Thanks!

Huh, I thought the re-release accounted for far more than that.

So a lot of people seem to think when they use the "IT GOT A RERELEASE THAT'S CHEATING !" excuse. Not to mention Avatar didn't have anyone to beat, and it's a different cut anyway.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

So a lot of people seem to think when they use the "IT GOT A RERELEASE THAT'S CHEATING !" excuse. Not to mention Avatar didn't have anyone to beat, and it's a different cut anyway.

?? 

Posted (edited)

Kevin Fiege said Disney is re-releasing it next weekend with extended footage

Edited by B-Rabbit
  • Astonished 3