Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

10 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

What on earth made people think $400m domestic for Superman Returns? Batman Begins only did like $205m the year before.

hype, hope, ....

also:

Batman Begins was the first Batman lead movie that followed the last bad ones see 1995' Batman Forever (IMDb rating 5.4) and 1997's Batman & Robin (IMDb rating 3.7)

The time between the last one and Batman Begins was only 9 years, people were still rather sceptical, I also remember lots of people saying too early...

Superman only had 3 movies as a group (ignoring '40 version and such), in 1978, 1980, and 1983, the last one too had only an IMDb rating of 5.0, but left still a way less bad taste in the mouth than Batman & Robin, that followed the Batman similar version to Superman III). And let people more forget about the last one per 23 years between the releases.

I also remember people getting their hopes up per the director being the one who did e.g. X-Men and X-Men II (budget $110m, IMDb 7.4)) in a respectable way (for its time at least), they thought if he gets X-Men with such a budget.... to such a ~ thing and him being a Superman fan, Superman Returns (budget $270m, IMDb 6.1) has to be doing really great.

Lots of people told me that then, me, as usual: before not having seen anything... no chance to guess anything about its BO, wait and see. Superman Returns opened way less than X-Men 2, material and more before release..... dampened already hopes and interest.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

hype, hope, ....

also:

Batman Begins was the first Batman lead movie that followed the last bad ones see 1995' Batman Forever (IMDb rating 5.4) and 1997's Batman & Robin (IMDb rating 3.7)

The time between the last one and Batman Begins was only 9 years, people were still rather sceptical, I also remember lots of people saying too early...

Superman only had 3 movies as a group (ignoring '40 version and such), in 1978, 1980, and 1983, the last one too had only an IMDb rating of 5.0, but left still a way less bad taste in the mouth than Batman & Robin, that followed the Batman similar version to Superman III). And let people more forget about the last one per 23 years between the releases.

I also remember people getting their hopes up per the director being the one who did e.g. X-Men and X-Men II (budget $110m, IMDb 7.4)) in a respectable way (for its time at least), they thought if he gets X-Men with such a budget.... to such a ~ thing and him being a Superman fan, Superman Returns (budget $270m, IMDb 6.1) has to be doing really great.

Lots of people told me that then, me, as usual: before not having seen anything... no chance to guess anything about its BO, wait and see. Superman Returns opened way less than X-Men 2, material and more before release..... dampened already hopes and interest.

Forgot Superman IV: Quest For Peace

https://g.co/kgs/vkzdkA

I can't blame you.  It's probably a protective shield the brain brings down when memories are just too horrific.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Forgot Superman IV: Quest For Peace? 

I can't blame you.  It's probably a protective shield the brain brings down when memories that are just too horrific.

thx a lot

Its not that I have forgotten that movie, its that I missed its existence (no one told me about it, I did not look out for 'worst of the year' titles....)

Superman (1978) had a budget of $55m, a 1987 version got that?

Budget $17 million[2]
Box office $15.6 million[6]

I guess no one really believed into it even before they started with that project?

Other production team...  but still, that's a strange start. 19 years till the next one then.

Still not getting it why they gave such a big budget for Superman Returns.

edit to add: with a ww result of $15.6m I guess a lot of people into CBM have not seen the movie, maybe missed its existence too?

Edited by terrestrial

7 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

thx a lot

Its not that I have forgotten that movie, its that I missed its existence (no one told me about it, I did not look out for 'worst of the year' titles....)

Superman (1978) had a budget of $55m, a 1987 version got that?

Budget $17 million[2]
Box office $15.6 million[6]

I guess no one really believed into it even before they started with that project?

Other production team...  but still, that's a strange start. 19 years till the next one then.

Still not getting it why they gave such a big budget for Superman Returns.

edit to add: with a ww result of $15.6m I guess a lot of people into CBM have not seen the movie, maybe missed its existence too?

After Superman III under-performed by a lot they slashed the budget for Superman IV - and it's shows.  It's cheap and terrible with the only saving grace as Reeve but even he couldn't save it.  $15.6m is the domestic number.  BOM doesn't have the O/S numbers for it, or Superman II & III.

Superman Returns budget was a result of rolling in all the costs and previous contracts at stalled Superman movies into it.   Like John Peters producing cut,  Nicolas Cage's pay or play $20m deal when Tim Burton (he got $5m) was going to direct and all the written and tossed scripts.

https://filmschoolrejects.com/development-hell-why-we-didnt-get-a-superman-movie-from-1988-to-2006-787ced1a8068/

As Burton and Peters argued, the budget ballooned alarmingly, ranging between $140 and $190M, including more than $30M spent on scripts, pay-or-play deals (Cage received $20M, Burton $5M, without a single frame of film being shot), and with the collapse of two of Warner’s would-be tentpoles, Sphere and The Postman, and the failure of Batman & Robin, the studio exiled Superman Lives to the Phantom Zone. “I ‘made’ the movie, only I didn’t film it,” Burton said later. “It was going to be expensive, and they were a little sensitive that they had screwed up the Batman franchise. Corporate decisions are all fear-based decisions,” he added. “They were afraid.” Cage, for one, remains philosophical. “I know that with Tim [on board] and where I was going to go, we would have done something really special,” he said in March. “At least it’s out there in the ether that it could have happened, but we don’t have to make the movie. It’s still interesting to people. I had the win-win situation,” he added, perhaps referring to the $20M he pocketed for not making the film, “because that character is such a bullseye that you have to hit. He’s one of the most precious icons of our country.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

BOM doesn't have the O/S numbers for it

Ahh, o.K.

I just checked at insidekino: here in Germany it got released in March 1988 and did less than 100994 admissions = is not even on the top 100 of the year list (#100 = 100994 admissions)

#1 was Rain Man with a bit over 6m admissions as a comparison

Superman IV managed to reach #69 in dom in 1987

(btw, 1987 #1 had 8.7m admissions here, but only ~ 85000 for #100)

7 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Forgot Superman IV: Quest For Peace

I can't blame you.  It's probably a protective shield the brain brings down when memories are just too horrific.

It still hurts lol I love superman :( That damn movie

2 hours ago, andersonhoran said:

Q6DBorfwLMA.jpg

1 hour ago, andersonhoran said:

ruvcVPTFwmU.jpg

Does that mean they'll finally release the movie in IMAX format on DVD? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lellobaak said:

Does that mean they'll finally release the movie in IMAX format on DVD? 

Reportedly it's IMAX's call and they refused.   That just seems odd to me - that IMAX would have veto power over the aspect ratio on BRs or that Disney would agree to it. 

Yikes at that deleted scene, thank god they cut it.

• Like 6
  • Astonished 1

34 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Reportedly it's IMAX's call and they refused.   That just seems odd to me - that IMAX would have veto power over the aspect ratio on BRs or that Disney would agree to it. 

Oh figured that would be the case. Those IMAX stills gave me hope... :whosad:

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

that makes sense to me. IMAX doesn't want its brand devalued. They want IMAX to be exclusive to - well - IMAX cinemas. You want to see IMAX, you got to buy an IMAX ticket while the film's in cinemas.

If you could get it on DVD, less people buy IMAX tickets, IMAX makes less money.

Incidentally i kind of regret not watching Endgame in IMAX. i mean the entire film was shot on imax cameras, I really should have watched it. Didn't want to fork out the £18 extra, particularly as I really disliked Infinity war.

after loving endgame, wasn't really worth it to do a rewatch just for imax.

Edited by Avatree

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

that makes sense to me. IMAX doesn't want its brand devalued. They want IMAX to be exclusive to - well - IMAX cinemas. You want to see IMAX, you got to buy an IMAX ticket while the film's in cinemas.

If you could get it on DVD, less people buy IMAX tickets, IMAX makes less money.

Incidentally i kind of regret not watching Endgame in IMAX. i mean the entire film was shot on imax cameras, I really should have watched it. Didn't want to fork out the £18 extra, particularly as I really disliked Infinity war.

after loving endgame, wasn't really worth it to do a rewatch just for imax.

You can't recreate IMAX at your home, even on your super large TV though.  But the result is akin to watching an old aspect 4:3 movie and instead of seeing the entire film they cut off the top and bottom to fill you widescreen TV.   

There's a scene near the end where there are other characters there but we don't know because they're lopped off.   Frustrating.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

You can't recreate IMAX at your home, even on your super large TV though.  But the result is akin to watching an old aspect 4:3 movie and instead of seeing the entire film they cut off the top and bottom to fill you widescreen TV.   

There's a scene near the end where there are other characters there but we don't know because they're lopped off.   Frustrating.

obviously cant "recreate imax" but you can see why they want to keep exclusivity to IMax-unique elements.

Also its pretty normal for home video to be the standard letterbox ratio. eg dark knight rises does not change aspect ratio on bluray it's 21:9 the whole time

Who's lopped off? Assuming you're referring to funeral scene i thought the camera carefully pans to everyone's face? although yes easy to miss people in that scene

Edited by Avatree

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

We're still under spoiler embargo for some odd reason so I can't say yet...

its been 2 months since release.