Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

On 7/30/2019 at 5:26 AM, Menor said:

MCU fandom isn't at the level of SW fandom yet only because IW and EG were so well received. There is just as much toxicity potential as shown especially by the toxic CM trolls. The minute the MCU makes a movie as polarizing as PT/TLJ it will devolve given how large the fandom is now (larger fandom = more trolls)

I think another factor is that MCU puts out three movies a year, so even if they make a polarizing film, they can probably rectify the damage two movies later. Other franchises don't have that luxury. Also, another thing about the toxic SW fandom is the fact there was a 16 year gap between ROTJ and TPM. A large gap allows people to grow much more attached to the past. Also, the gap between ROTJ and TFA is well over 30-years. So, I think these large gaps between films also plays a large role in toxicity. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

:hahaha:

on on hand, i'm glad they took this out cause it would've undercut the threat of the 3rd Act Battle.  on the ANOTHER Hand, OMGOGMOGLALALFMAO . ROCKET >>>>> Everyone But Steve Rogers

• Like 4

On 7/30/2019 at 8:26 AM, Menor said:

MCU fandom isn't at the level of SW fandom yet only because IW and EG were so well received. There is just as much toxicity potential as shown especially by the toxic CM trolls. The minute the MCU makes a movie as polarizing as PT/TLJ it will devolve given how large the fandom is now (larger fandom = more trolls)

The vast majority of the anti-Captain Marvel trolls weren't MCU fans at all. Rather, they were a combination of incel/MRA types. The incel faction took offense at some comments Brie Larson made about the predominance of white males among the press corp on most film junkets. They've been out for her blood ever since, generating scores of YouTube videos excoriating Larson that get hundreds of thousands of hits. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/arts/why-the-success-of-captain-marvel-is-a-defeat-for-trolls

There was a previous trolling campaign targeting TLJ and Black Panther that was spearheaded by angry alt-right white supremacists. These efforts were announced on Facebook and received a lot of press at the time. This same group of impotent white males were behind the failed CM takedown. The idiot who organized the hate-mob gave interviews admitting their desire to keep women and minorities out of (all) franchises, primarily motivated by hatred of TLJ & Disney. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/black-panther-reviews-fanboys-rotten-tomatoes-boycott-798445%3famp=1

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Talkie said:

The vast majority of the anti-Captain Marvel trolls weren't MCU fans at all. Rather, they were a combination of incel/MRA types. The incel faction took offense at some comments Brie Larson made about the predominance of white males among the press corp on most film junkets. They've been out for her blood ever since, generating scores of YouTube videos excoriating Larson that get hundreds of thousands of hits. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/arts/why-the-success-of-captain-marvel-is-a-defeat-for-trolls

There was a previous trolling campaign targeting TLJ and Black Panther that was spearheaded by angry alt-right white supremacists. These efforts were announced on Facebook and received a lot of press at the time. This same group of impotent white males were behind the failed CM takedown. The idiot who organized the hate-mob gave interviews admitting their desire to keep women and minorities out of (all) franchises, primarily motivated by hatred of TLJ & Disney. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/black-panther-reviews-fanboys-rotten-tomatoes-boycott-798445%3famp=1

What a garbage post. You know not everything is the white males' fault. Not everyone who had a problem with Brie Larson's comments are incels. Jesus. 

I mean, I get your overall point and I agree, I really do, but we really need to stop painting everyone with the same fucking brush. I know a black female who hated Brie Larson's comments, for instance. The left can be just as toxic with their extreme intolerance and finger pointing.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, JB33 said:

What a garbage post. You know not everything is the white males' fault. Not everyone who had a problem with Brie Larson's comments are incels. Jesus. 

I mean, I get your overall point and I agree, I really do, but we really need to stop painting everyone with the same fucking brush. I know a black female who hated Brie Larson's comments, for instance. The left can be just as toxic with their extreme intolerance and finger pointing.

Yikes at this whole thing but lol

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Yikes at this whole thing but lol

Great argument! When you have nothing to say, just lol right?

Edited by JB33

15 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Great argument! When you have nothing to say, just lol right?

Your argument was "my imaginary black friend agrees with me". An LOL is all you deserve. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Your argument was "my imaginary black friend agrees with me". An LOL is all you deserve. 

My point is that you can't pin everything on white males. It grates me so much. What grates me even more is the amount of sad people nowadays who happen to be male and white who constantly apologize for being so. They join the choir in constantly vilifying "white males".

Again, so grating. I told the poster that I generally agree with what he was saying - that sad, sad people go on sad campaigns against movies that happen to feature female heroes or minorities. It's pathetic, but target whoever actually did it without putting a label on them. Don't just sum it all up with "white males". Also, hear out people's arguments instead of instantly labelling everyone who was annoyed with Brie Larsen as an incel.

• Like 2

Won't someone think of the poor white males.... constantly attacked and blamed for everything. I don't know a more oppressed group. 

• Haha 11

4 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Won't someone think of the poor white males.... constantly attacked and blamed for everything. I don't know a more oppressed group. 

Had to know I'd hear from you lol.

All I'm asking is that the same standards be applied to everyone. Stop lazily going with the narrative that every bad person = white male. It's annoying, insulting and people who talk like that are insufferable.

No one is saying that only white males hate Brie Larson. The point is "incels" instigate the hatred and circlejerk around it with multiple videos/facebook groups/whatever

• Like 7

12 hours ago, JB33 said:

In my post I cited only the group of people who orchestrated the trolling campaign against the three films in question. They happen to be white males from the alt-right and incel factions. Nowhere did I say that every white male was involved in the trolling. 

And by the way, I'm a Black woman who thinks that Brie Larson made a valid point. I can't back up my opinion by citing my friends and family because we never talk about petty online nonsense. 

• Like 15

21 hours ago, Talkie said:

Think a lot of the DCEU or at least anti-MCU fans tagged along for those rides too, which ends up bumping those numbers.    Should I also say Zack Snyder cultists?  :P

Edited by honestbharani
  • Like 1

Everyone is half right. It was a multi-racial coalition of incel/MRA types that went after Brie Larson, not exclusively white ones.

5 hours ago, honestbharani said:

Think a lot of the DCEU or at least anti-MCU fans tagged along for those rides too, which ends up bumping those numbers.    Should I also say Zack Snyder cultists?  :P

The first post on Facebook calling for a boycott of Black Panther certainly invoked the bizarre conspiracy theory that accuses Disney of paying off critics - both to give Disney films good reviews and to slam DCEU movies. I'm not sure they were being honest, however, since the leader told multiple news sites about their white supremacist and misogynistic motivations. Pretending to support Snyder might have been to mask their less acceptable drives.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MaxWilder said:

Everyone is half right. It was a multi-racial coalition of incel/MRA types that went after Brie Larson, not exclusively white ones.

There are some Black youtubers who jumped on the Brie-hating bandwagon. However, I got the impression that most of them saw how many hits other channels were getting and decided that they wanted in. Some of them make thousands of dollars/euros/etc off those videos so you can't blame them. (But I do. :lol:)

• Like 2

On 7/29/2019 at 10:05 PM, Gamora said:

Like Tony stans didn't do worse during Civil War and, quite frankly, aren't still at it? Ha!

I like Bucky but his worse stans are bad. Still nothing compared with Tony stans though, they're everywhere and trash literally every character to make him look better. I actually get embarrassed reading some of the shit they come up with, he's the character with the most screentime and the narrative kisses his ass at every turn and they still feel like he's underappreciated and victimised. 

I was on the Russo twitter and some one was complaining about how Tony suffered so much in the last 2 films getting stabbed, starved to death and killed off in a heroic sacrifice . I thought it was a joke at first but then I saw more comments trashing the Russos.:sparta:

• Like 1

Incel, MRA type...speak english please. The word you're looking for is asshole. Quit inventing new shit to say the same thing....also, stay off my lawn. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1