Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

Personally I find IW better then Endgame.

Endgame is like the epic finale and it was great to watch but the time travel storyline had some issues.

IW was just an epic ride. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

apart from the Cap paradox at the end

Curious what you’re referring too, there’s no paradox (thankfully, or I’d have to rate the movie like 6/10 instead of 9.5/10).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

When it comes to time travel, the only problem I have with the film is that the scene at the end with Cap sitting on the bench was set up in a way that made it seem like the movie was contradicting its own rules just for the sake of being more dramatic. If Steve had teleported back to the time travel platform as an old man, the scene would’ve worked fine, but the way it was actually handled obviously confused a number of people. 

He doesn't need the platform just as he and Tony didn't need it when jumping from 2012 to 1970 or all the times Steve had to jump around to return the stones.    He needs it maybe to return to that exact moment and space in time but that's not when or where he returned.  He might not have even returned from the past but the future.  (which might explain his extreme aging - with his ell regeneration even being 115 or 180 yrs old if you count the ice time he wouldn't look that old).

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

He doesn't need the platform just as he and Tony didn't need it when jumping from 2012 to 1970 or all the times Steve had to jump around to return the stones.    He needs it maybe to return to that exact moment and space in time but that's not when or where he returned.  He might not have even returned from the past but the future.  (which might explain his extreme aging - with his ell regeneration even being 115 or 180 yrs old if you count the ice time he wouldn't look that old).

The impression I got was that in order to go back to the present, they needed to be teleported there through the platform. What was the platform even for then? 

Watched the Blu Ray last night with the Russo brs/Writers commentary. Lots of interesting stuff in the commentary.

29 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The impression I got was that in order to go back to the present, they needed to be teleported there through the platform. What was the platform even for then? 

They most likely built it for control since it was the first time they were time traveling.  It probably serves as a beacon to return to that exact place and time - or rather a second after you left so you don't overshoot and wind up in the future.    But Steve has been bopping around the universe and time lines and just spent at least 70 years in an alternate time line.  He could have returned from any time or any place and then decided to make a dramatic entrance by sitting near the lake.    He also had a lot of time to pick up a new or different technology (from a Howard, Tony or Pym) .  I just see it as a way 1) to make his return more dramatic 2) leave room for a lot of what ifs they could explore later.  Nothing about it though contradicts what we already saw or was explained in the movie.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I am still not able to digest time travel tbh. Whatever they did in MCU, that all was believable to some extent.

Time travel is simply bullshit. Just shoving some quantum blah blah. Handing your biggest film with time travel bull shit. Ugh.

Ten years from now, I can see hating Endgame for that, just like I think The Avengers is average stuff now. Infinity War on other hand will stand test of time.

Also Also, I didn't complained about it till now. In Infinity War, the children of Thanos, were big PITA of The Avengers. In Endgame you just killed them in seconds. Fuck off.

ffs Okoye lift Glaive on fucking spear. Give me a break.

Maw took on Tony, Strange, Wong and Spidey in Infinity War. In Endgame, he did what? 

TIme Travel is no more improbable then Instellar flight,frankly. Both shred equally the basics of modern physics.

And I don't think it is more improbable then Dr. Strange's magic.

If you  reject time Time Travel you are going to reject a lot of great science fiction, going back to HG Wells "The Time Machine" in 1895.

But, yeah, Time Travel is risky stuff, much more so then Insteller Flight.. They got away with it, IMHO, in Endgame but should probably avoid it in the future.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, infamous5445 said:

I bet Markus and McFeely have different interpretations of time travel than the Russos just to keep conversation going about the movie. They're playing us.

Confirmed in the film commentary.

47 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Confirmed in the film commentary.

Wait, what’s this now? What do they say exactly? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

but Wait, what’s this now? What do they say exactly? 

They got into a whole discussion of various theories about the ways time travel might work. In the end, surprise, they admit they  chose the theory that would work best for the story.

Minor issue anyway.

You either aceppt the time travel premise of you don't.

Still amused on people who  balk at time travel have no problem with the other wild scientific imprbabilties in the MCU.

Though I agree it should be a one time gimmick.I would hate to see it become the deux de machina of the MCU;when writers write themselves into a corner; let's just fix it with time travel.

Edited by dudalb

A couple interesting bits from the commentary:

The Brie Larson made  her first appereance as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel in her scenes in the first half of the film. They were shot before filming begun on Captain Marvel.

And, what surprised me,

Spoiler

is that they actually had all the actors there for the shooting of Tony Stark's funeral . I felt pretty sure they had shot it in segments as the actors were available, but no, it was done in one day with all the actors there on the set.That was some pretty heavy duty talent, at least 3 Oscar winners.

I thought it was common knowledge that the CM stuff were filmed before her own movie?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cookie said:

I thought it was common knowledge that the CM stuff were filmed before her own movie?

Yeah the script was still being written for CM.  Geneva Robertson-Dworet was hired by mid-August to take over the scripting duties for Captain Marvel

Brie started working in Sept 2017 on AEG.   CM didn't start filming until March 2018.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, dudalb said:

They got into a whole discussion of various theories about the ways time travel might work. In the end, surprise, they admit they  chose the theory that would work best for the story.

Minor issue anyway.

You either aceppt the time travel premise of you don't.

Still amused on people who  balk at time travel have no problem with the other wild scientific imprbabilties in the MCU.

Though I agree it should be a one time gimmick.I would hate to see it become the deux de machina of the MCU;when writers write themselves into a corner; let's just fix it with time travel.

There are 2 ways that time travel can work. They chose the multiverse way, and the Russo’s appear to understand that in interviews. M&M... don’t appear to understand that in interviews. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

There are 2 ways that time travel can work. They chose the multiverse way, and the Russo’s appear to understand that in interviews. M&M... don’t appear to understand that in interviews. 

After a bunch of contradictory interviews M&M admitted they didn't understand Time Travel and the Russos probably knew more and had it right - or at least paid attention to the physicist they brought in to explain it more  (or Bruce when he was saying it's not like Back to The Future and no Rhodey strangling baby Thanos wouldn't change the past or anything in their present).  

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Menor said:

Even in IW they weren't all that formidable except for Maw. The handling of the Black Order is probably my biggest criticism of these two movies.

Atleast corvus gave fight to Captain America in Wakanda before stabbed by Vision. Here he was lifted on spear by Okoye while charging to each other.

6 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

He doesn't need the platform just as he and Tony didn't need it when jumping from 2012 to 1970

dafuq I didn't notice this loophole. More I think about it, more meh it is becoming.

• ...wtf 1

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

dafuq I didn't notice this loophole. More I think about it, more meh it is becoming.

That's not a loophole though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

That's not a loophole though. 

Iirc tony build the device to act as kinda time travel gps not time traveler itself.