Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540 | Endgame Spoilers Allowed

So I finally watched Infinity War and Endgame back to back last night. Some random things I liked and disliked:

- Thanos is very good. I'd known he was the highlight of IW but I was still taken aback at how much Brolin nailed it. I liked him more than most of the heroes.

- It is an absolute miracle these films are even slightly coherent. I dislike MCU action scenes because cartoon physics take over, and that wasn't much different here, but I respect the craft and discipline that went into making it all work tonally. 

- Captain Marvel was every bit as bad as touted. Being smug and overpowered is a fatal combination, and fucking off for most of the movie when you absolutely should be around is the cherry on top.

- Cap is still my favourite but I was surprised at how little he had to do. He didn't need to be in IW at all and despite his speeches was very much a supporting player in Endgame. Black Panther was also squandered. I guess the script was  already locked down before they knew how big BP was going to be?

- Holland was really good, the films lit up when he was around. I shall soon watch his solo films.

- I preferred IW of the two because it was Thanos' story, and he's a good character. The time travel in Endgame was initially fun, but I soon became convoluted and I stopped caring. Endgame's first hour was probably the best single part of both, though.

- They could never decide how strong they wanted Thanos to be, whether he wore the stones or not. In the beginning he beats Hulk, then later he's struggling against people who, well, aren't Hulk. Annoying.

- The magically disappearing CGI armor masks always made me cringe. But that's a problem I've long had with IM's suits: the effect looks more magical than mechanical.

- I was very glad the racoon was chosen to be around for the movies instead of Star Lord.

- Peter Dinklage was astonishingly bad. Sleep acting for a paycheck.

- Fat Thor was moderately fun. They realised Hemsworth is much more comfortable with comedy.

- I still absolutely wouldn't put it past them to resurrect Stark at some point.

- The music was sometimes good, and the first time I really noticed it in an MCU movie.

- Watching 5.5 hours of MCU straight is not healthy.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Decided to watch the Endgame and FFH 'extras' today. Essentially thirty minutes of cast promo hidden as 'featurettes'. Quite embarrassing. 

48 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Decided to watch the Endgame and FFH 'extras' today. Essentially thirty minutes of cast promo hidden as 'featurettes'. Quite embarrassing. 

just a couple weeks ago after rewatching last jedi i watched the feature length making-of documentary in the special features. was especially nice because to see something like that in the features for a major release is so rare these days. seems like you've gotta buy criterions if you want good extras.

9 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

just a couple weeks ago after rewatching last jedi i watched the feature length making-of documentary in the special features. was especially nice because to see something like that in the features for a major release is so rare these days. seems like you've gotta buy criterions if you want good extras.

Pretty much, yeah. Critierion is the only company still doing really good extras.

The days of dvd with tons of GOOD extras like the Special editions of the LOTR films are long past.

An Epic Conclusion and I doubt we will see films at the scale of Endgame or Infinity Wars for a while.

I think this is the major reason why so many casual MCU fans and general audiences flocked to these films compared to other MCU films was the "scale".

Watching Infinity Wars, I was just floored away of how the conclusion was...

Thor Taking a White Dwarf Star to the Chest to create a Axe being helped by a Racoon and a Tree while Iron Man, GOTG, Spiderman and Doctor Strange go into an all out battle against Thanos on Titan while there is a massive land battle between BP, Captain, BW and others against Thanos Army.

Now that is EPIC! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2019 at 7:54 PM, dudalb said:

Pretty much, yeah. Critierion is the only company still doing really good extras.

The days of dvd with tons of GOOD extras like the Special editions of the LOTR films are long past.

Shout Factory does as well 

I dont think it works that way? The total number reported from Disney is still the same and the individual numbers from different countries may varies. 

1 hour ago, Heroicpiglet said:

I dont think it works that way? The total number reported from Disney is still the same and the individual numbers from different countries may varies. 

That’s what I would have to assume as well. 

So, apparently WandaVision has been pushed up to this year. What do you guys think about that? Makes sense. Disney really needs to have something constantly coming out on Disney+ to keep people from unsubscribing. I'm kind of surprised, it's going to be several months before the next big show comes out. 

So, with Mandalorian Season 2 coming out next year and Falcon and the Winter Soldier, I'm guessing the release schedule will look something like this.

Falcon/Winter Solider-July/Aug

WandaVision-Sep/Oct

Mandalorian Season 2-Nov/Dec.

That means the first half of the year, Disney+ won't have any notable content coming out.

They really should have had more of a steady stream of new content. I’m not renewing until I can watch all of Falcon/Winter Soldier in 1 month.