Derby Summer League: Signups due by 4/22/19 Read more... ×

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | William Hurt returns as Secretary of State Thaddeus 'Thunderbolt' Ross NOT confirmed | April 26, 2019 *** No Endgame Spoilers

Just now, Spaghetti said:

Deluxe confirmed the 3 hour (and 57 second) runtime and that the attachments are The Lion King and Star Wars IX.

3D shows have Toy Story 4 and Aladdin btw

10 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I don't see how TDKR is any bigger than

HP:DH2 - HP2 opened to $169 vs. TDKR opened to $162 w/ no 3D & an epic buzz kill shooting, TDKR clearly sold more tickets even with the shooting

The Avengers - Hollywood Reporter says $35m of opening weaken gross from 3D bump; $172m in standard sales; TDKR was going to destroy this pre-shooting

Iron Man 3 - wtf gtfo

Avengers: Age of Ultron - wtf gtfo 

Avengers: Infinity War - on similar level

In fact Batman v Superman- LOL

10 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

In hype, it could be. Coming off TDK, the hype was insane. Previews was 60% over Avengers but....things soured the weekend....

Looking back now it may be hard to remember how hyped it was.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dark-knight-rises-pre-sale-tickets-25-million-351301

"$35m of the Avengers $207m came from 3D" - The Hollywood Report; standard sticket sales put Avengers opening weekend at $172 million which, frankly, TDKR was going to obliterate. 

No shooting & TDKR would have held the admissions record until AT LEAST The Force Awakens. Infinity War likely only other film in that ballpark.

10 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

DC had bigger previews than Marvel. Marvel was (is) FSS brand.

Even BvS had bigger previews than Civil War.

BVS was crazy hyped, its opening day would have easily topped $100m had reviews and wom been better.

9 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It's TFA and AEG. No offense to TDKR. Hype was lit there too. Not unlike Spidey 3. Insane hype there too.

You're severely downplaying TDKR.  With the most basic and conservative of needed adjustments, TDKR is the #2 opening day of all time. The threads still exist; go read the buzz and predictions thread for TDKR.  

9 hours ago, rerga said:

Man, I'd kill to know what numbers TDKR would have done without the trajedy and the addition of 3D

Me too. These are the big fat variables. 

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

Crazy to think that not even 7 years ago movies started at midnight until Aurora changed everything and it's been early showings ever since. I imagine theaters must be fine with it though. They get to have those last shows at 10:30 (unless it's a megaevent movie like this) and don't have to be open super late.

Probably would have added $10m more to TDKR's opening too

8 hours ago, Nero said:

The Dark Knight isn't even in the same league as TFA and EG. It only over performed in US. OS was so so nothing like EG is

People here forgetting how epic the hype around TDKR was.

The big variables with TDKR are:

-No 3D which gives Marvel movies a big bump

-Horrible tragedy just KILLED the buzz over the weekend; initial Friday estimates of $90m careened down to $75  as word spread

-Previews started at midnight which obviously limited showings; given that it did $30m in sneaks w/no 3D, this would add greatly

All we know is even with these things, opening Friday inflates to $88m, 8th all time; reasonable adjust would be $88m + $5m in previews = $93; +10m due to removal of mass shooting buzzkill   = $103m, +10% due to 3d = $114m which feels right.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/?page=single&adjust_yr=2019&p=.htm

Level the playing by adding 3D (at least a 10% revenue boost), removing shooting, growing sneaks and it's clear TDKR would have 2nd biggest opening day on that chart.

Just now, Sam said:

Pratt is good comedy-wise (though quite limited in certain types of comedy), but he’s just tragic when attempted drama. And boy, it is real tragic.

Lol Not tragic at all. I'm not sure how anyone could watch The Guardians movies and not at least acknowledge the dramatic moments feel genuine. I mean, that moment towards the end of the first movie when Peter listens to the tape his mom left, teary-eyed, Gamora walks up and he smiles...that's more poignant than any moment I've ever seen with Evans as Cap.

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Pratt is terrible in everything outside of Parks/Rec, LEGO and GOTG. Even then, I thought he was pretty bad in Guardians 2.

He played the part of whiny man-child well enough but in GOTG2, sometimes his petulant act towards Rocket become a bit too mean-spirited for me. 

Though rewatching IW, I like his character more, I think he’s real funny with some of his facial expressions.

1.) Black Panther

2.) The Winter Soldier

3.) Guardians Of The Galaxy Volume 2

4.) Iron Man 3

5.) Infinity War

6.) Iron Man

7.) Guardians Of The Galaxy

8.) Ultron

9.) CA1 

10.) Thor: Ragnarok

11.) Avengers

12.) Ant Man and The Wasp

13.) Ant Man

14.) Doctor Strange

15.) Captain Marvel

16.) Civil War

17.) Homecoming

18.) Thor

19.) Iron Man 2

20.) TIH

pile of burning garbage 

21.) The Dark World

Pratt's shtick has wore paper-thin with me. I don't enjoy his screen presence at all.

3 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Lol Not tragic at all. I'm not sure how anyone could watch The Guardians movies and not at least acknowledge the dramatic moments feel genuine. I mean, that moment towards the end of the first movie when Peter listens to the tape his mom left, teary-eyed, Gamora walks up and he smiles...that's more poignant than any moment I've ever seen with Evans as Cap.

You do you, bud. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Far greater range? Sorry but nope, I don't see it. Despite naming all those genres he's done, he is still only really known for playing Cap and that's not just because Cap is the most famous character he's played. It's also because Evans is lacking in screen presence, charisma and is simply not that great of an actor. He is good enough but no performance really stays with you because he simply isn't that memorable on screen. 

Hemsworth is by far the best actor, I don't even see it as debatable, frankly. And I really don't see how you can suggest Pratt isn't a good romantic lead when Evans is worse, lol. Peter/Gamora standout for me, certainly more than any pairing Evans has ever had. 

I'll let Patti Lupone speak for me b/c you're so wrong I need to bring in a Diva to sort you out (I'll even include the part where she's not afraid to insult film stars so you know she's not kissing ass)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/patti-lupone-i-dont-need-to-see-film-actors-on-stage-836624.html

The American star said: “I don’t necessarily need to see film actors on stage, because they can’t.  “Not in my country they can’t. Can I just say, Uma Thurman in The Parisian Woman, anybody see it? Holy shit! I’m sorry, I’m sorry.  “I’m not sure there is a stigma any more (about film actors doing theatre), perhaps there should be.”

She later added: “I have to qualify that – there are a lot of film actors that have made their career in film that come to the stage and are brilliant.

“One of the examples of that is Lobby Hero right now on Broadway with Chris Evans and Michael Cera, and there is a British girl in there, Bel Powley, she’s fantastic, they are all incredible.

Chris Evans has never been on Broadway before, he’s making his Broadway debut. The stage presence, the command, the diction was incredible, but then there are people for some reason who feel they need to come to the stage and I don’t know why, because they don’t have the theatrical ability.”

Or maybe just Danny Boyle who maybe knows a thing or two about film and actors.

Look quickly at Chris Evans, however, and you're bound to miss the most important thing about him — this boy can act. "Well, he's a superb actor, and I'm not saying that just 'cause he's in my film. I think he's brilliant," director Danny Boyle said of the 26-year-old actor, whom he cast in the sci-fi epic "Sunshine." "He's a very talented guy, a thoroughbred really. He's a bit of a Mary Poppins — he can pull anything out of the bag."