Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | William Hurt returns as Secretary of State Thaddeus 'Thunderbolt' Ross NOT confirmed | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540

4 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Moderation

CAPTAIN MARVEL SPOILERS ARE NOW ALLOWED UNTAGGED IN THE ENDGAME THREAD.

Given the unique circumstances of the release of Captain Marvel and the upcoming release of Endgame for the purposes of this thread Captain Marvel can be discussed without spoiler tags.  This is a special case due the close proximity of the release dates.

THIS IS NOT AN INVITATION TO GO NUTS WITH JOKE POSTS SPOILING CAPTAIN MARVEL.

This is simply for free discussion about Captain Marvel and how events in it may flow into Endgame.

A reminder also that leaked images, videos or pirated content are not allowed.  Only officially released material is allowed to be posted and discussed.  When it comes to Endgame itself this is a SPOILER FREE environment.  There will be an Endgame Spoiler Thread open from next Wednesday, 24th April.

N.I.R.D.

Regards

BOT Staff

That’s not what the thread title says.... who to believe...

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's what happens when you don't have enough representation. A single character  becomes the standard bearer or target for all women (same with Black, Hispanic, Asians, LGBTQ etc) instead of just one single character with a distinct personality and behavior.

It's why fans over reacted like crazy about Black Widow in AOU when a similar story line or line of dialog uttered by man wouldn't raise  a blip - as it didn't for Banner.

The only solution is more women leads and co-leads. 

Even though women's rights were a fraction of what they currently are and characters were largely circumscribed by societal gender roles and a lack of scope and choice, and female directors were an even more rare breed than now, there was a far greater variety of characterizations, varying strengths and flaws, personality types in the 30s and 40s when women lead films, that also made big box office, were common place.  

Not every medium suffers from this.  Books don't, even if some genres or rather sub genres do, - b/c there are far more of them and a far greater representation of creators.   Indie films also have more character variety.  So does TV/ streaming in comparison to larger budget studio films.

I think that the problem isn't representation of women in general cause there have been movies with female leads since forever. the problem is action genre. there are different expectations for women in action genre than in comedy/drama/other where we have variety and 3 dimensions and what not. but in action genre, there are 2 fractions: one that insists women are unconvincing in badass roles ( and casting that prefers waifs or just not athletic types helps them make the case) and one that insists women in this genre must be invincible and better then men to drive the point of superiority equality. When these 2 points clash, we get female characters who are lacking because they aren't feminine and feel more like virtue check box then real character and that's deliberate in order to please both sides. So instead of creating complex, interesting characters, writers think they've done the job if they give such character Yass Queen Slay moments cause their goal is to simplify and overemphasize "strong" aspect of the character and that's without exception physical strength, general coldness and big body count. 

Edited by Valonqar

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

And I think the X Men are just too potentially lucrative for them to remain on the shelf for that long.

Yes, the X Men need a break, but I doubt it will be a full five years..more like 3, imho.

Well, considering that Marvel has 3 solo movies (BW, Eternals and Shang Chi) and 3 sequels (BP2, DS2, CM2) with 3 others (AM3, GOTG3, SM3) not far behind, 3 to 4 years seems like the absolute earliest it could be (just from speculated projects, not including any others that we're not aware of).

Unless you mean 3 years for an announcement, that would translate into 5 years until the movie opens.

It does blow my mind (as I was typing this) that Ant Man is a character that will (most likely) get a full trilogy. 

Anyone know how they filmed both movies back to back?  Like, how do they have time to edit the first movie while filming the second??

Just now, acetabulum said:

Anyone know how they filmed both movies back to back?  Like, how do they have time to edit the first movie while filming the second??

These huge movies edit as they go along, which is much easier when shooting on digital.  The editors on AIW said it helped they were filming AEG when they started editing b/c if they needed a pick up shot, alternate take etc the cast was already there - which is why unlike all other Marvel movies AIW didn't have scheduled re-shoots.   

AEG finished most of primary filming in early January so they then had 3 months + to fully devote to AIW.  The Russos said it was still a killer schedule.  They had far more time and leeway with AEG.  They finished filming AEG (not just pick up but stuff they hadn't done yet) in Sept/October and they still just locked in a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 4

Just now, TalismanRing said:

These huge movies edit as they go along, which is much easier when shooting on digital.  The editors on AIW said it helped they were filming AEG when they started editing b/c if they needed a pick up shot, alternate take etc the cast was already there - which is why unlike all other Marvel movies AIW didn't have scheduled re-shoots.   

AEG finished most of primary filming in early January so they then had 3 months + to fully devote to AIW.  The Russos said it was still a killer schedule.  They had far more time and leeway with AEG.  They finished filming AEG (not just pick up but stuff they hadn't done yet) in Sept/October and they still just locked in a couple of weeks ago.

Not sure it change much shooting digital or not for the rough ongoing editing job, when you shoot on film you still have a digital camera feed you can use to feed monitors and do editing work on at the end you can even just scan the film frame that match the one you used in your edit if you want I imagine.

Spielberg for example shoot film and is editor has is trailer on set and they work during the night editing the day of shoot.

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

AEG finished most of primary filming in early January so they then had 3 months + to fully devote to AIW.  The Russos said it was still a killer schedule.  They had far more time and leeway with AEG.

Yeah that is just crazy to think about how they could do all that and put out a good product AND still be creative at the same time.  Whewwwwww!

Posted (edited)

I have no doubt Marvel's solo films will continue to get bigger and bigger but replicating the team chemistry and dynamics of the original Avengers in a team setting is going to be a big challenge. 

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I have no doubt Marvel's solo films will continue to get bigger and bigger but replicating the team chemistry and dynamics of the original Avengers in a team setting is going to be a big challenge. 

And even if they achieve it, subjectively people will remember the original has the best I would imagine. It is really hard to beat the first.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Very difficult, which is why I think they're going to cool it on big team-ups for a while. Maybe do a crossover or duos but a full blown team up with an all new group should wait until people have a little more distance from the OG6.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Very difficult, which is why I think they're going to cool it on big team-ups for a while. Maybe do a crossover or duos but a full blown team up with an all new group should wait until people have a little more distance from the OG6.

In 10 years time, around 2029 or 2030, a new Avengers vs X-Men movie starring the new Avengers, the new X-Men casts, and RDJ coming out of retirement and making a return as IM will give EG a run for its money. You heard it here first 😎.

13 minutes ago, UserHN said:

In 10 years time, around 2029 or 2030, a new Avengers vs X-Men movie starring the new Avengers, the new X-Men casts, and RDJ coming out of retirement and making a return as IM will give EG a run for its money. You heard it here first 😎.

congratulations...you are a prophet :sparta:

• Haha 2

I'm hoping for a Logan style film in 30 years with RDJ and Tom Holland.

6 minutes ago, CoolK said:

congratulations...you are a prophet :sparta:

hes a survivor

• Like 1