Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | William Hurt returns as Secretary of State Thaddeus 'Thunderbolt' Ross NOT confirmed | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540

Posted (edited)

So the after this is done, The Avengers sub-franchise will be the 4th highest grossing domestic. Behind The Wizarding World, Star Wars and of course, the MCU.

Adjusted it'll be around 7th. Behind Bond (25 films) and Batman / X-Men (11 films each). Just ahead of Jurassic Park (1 film more, this one is nuts too) and Spider-Man (3 films more, will pass Avengers with FFH again)

More impressive is that, if it reaches $915m, it will surpass Star Wars adjusted average (including Rogue One, Solo and Clone Wars. But nothing will ever be as impressive as just the main episodes average)

WW, it'll also be 4th (behind Wizarding World, SW and MCU) but it can pass just Potter if it reaches 2.75b.

So it needs around TFA for DOM and around Avatar WW for this :hahaha:

Edited by expensiveho
  • Like 1

Watch the films two more times at Malaysia and Singapore, still get the best feeling ever.

• Like 1

Down on RT : 95%

Up on MC : 78

Posted (edited)

Well, now having seen all of the 22 films in the series - and not wanting to create a separate thread for this, so I'm just gonna put it right here, it felt right to the old ranking thing according to my own personal opinion. Don't worry, no Endgame spoilers. So, yeah. The 22 MCU films, the Infinity Saga if you will, ranked from worst to best, starting now:

Spoiler

Iron Man 2

A Frankenstein's monster of subplots that achieves absolutely nothing of note beyond introducing Black Widow and teasing The Avengers. It has a few nice qualities which keep it from being as unwatchable as other comic book movie tragedies, but it also bears nothing resembling a cohesive narrative, a bunch of WTF moments that even Sam Raimi during Spider-Man 3's production would be impressed, subplots that no one will remember a day later, zero sense of real peril and urgency.... and the occasional moment that actually does work every now and then, created by either the mostly wasted (apart from RDJ and Sam Rockwell) but still good cast and/or the few decently crafted and entertaining action sequences. And.... that's pretty much it. It's a bad film, bottom line. Again, not outright terrible, or as terrible as other worse films in the genre, that being because of the good cast and action, and Hell, if you had focused on some of the elements at play here (like how the government wanted to take away the Iron Man suit for its own delight), you could have created a pretty solid sequel. But the little pieces of the puzzle that are actually good are clearly overshadowed by the majority of the puzzle being bad, and other big pieces being ironically entertaining.

Spoiler

Thor: The Dark World

Nothing screams "bland Marvel movie" quite like a superhero film with the most idiotically generic villain you could possibly come up with (Malekith might be the MCU's worst villain), horribly unfunny and stupid side characters taking wayyyy more screen time than they deserve, Natalie Portman sleepwalking through a film she clearly didn't want to be a part of, murky and ugly visuals for a space/cosmic adventure, and a boring and overexpository science mumbo-jumbo script. The few things keeping The Dark World from sinking to the bottom of the pit of the MCU are the interesting and charming Thor/Loki chemistry, the high point of the film, as well the creative 3rd act climax fight, some of the fish-out-of-water humor with Thor, and a few other select scenes every now and then (like the funeral of Thor's mom or Thor blowing up the rock dude at the beginning). The movie still sucks and is easily one of the worst in the franchise, but it's safe from being the worst due to a clearly stronger and more heartfelt narrative than that of IM2, which is perhaps the more entertaining wreck as far as fun goes, but that's just on an ironic enjoyment perspective most of the time.

Spoiler

The Incredible Hulk

Again, much like Thor 2, this film is a negative representation of the "bland Marvel movie" stereotype. Ed Norton is solid as Bruce Banner and the film does a few interesting things with the characterization and the arc of Banner, it's fun to see William Hurt and Tim Roth chew up the scenery while they can, the very few scenes that actually feature the Hulk I sure enjoy..... even if I don't like the way the Hulk looks here (sorry but I find both the CGI bad and the actual style poor), it has one of the best and smartest opening credits sequences in any superhero film - one that cleverly dodges origin story tropes - and there's some stuff in the middle of the film that's okay (mostly with the aforementioned arc of Bruce Banner). Otherwise, this is a largely uninspired, forgettable, dull affair with virtually nothing of note happening, and a lead couple with even less chemistry than Hemsworth and Portman.... yeah, I don't like Liv Tyler as an actress, and she has -100% chemistry with Norton. And that's about it as far as this movie goes. Solid lead with a watchable'ish arc, chewy villains, good Hulk smashing (bad CGI aside), and everything else being just a bunch of nothing. As a matter of fact, it's so much nothingness that its lack of personality becomes irritating on its own. It's more consistent and has a stronger narrative than The Dark World, which hits higher highs but much lower lows, therefore it is superior, but it serves no good as much else other than background noise. Say what you will about Ang Lee's Hulk, but at least it was far more ambitious and interesting for what it was, even if it was also a terrible movie.

Spoiler

Captain Marvel

Yet again continuing with the trend of bland filmmaking, the (2nd) most recent entry in the series is a shocking drop-off in quality from what we've seen lately. Generic is easily the best word to describe this thing. Generic hero facing generic villains with generic stakes on the line for a generic plot. It's so generic that I feel generic writing it. But Captain Marvel's biggest sin, the one that really writes home how uninspired it truly is - because it could've gotten away with its simplicity if it actually had a sense of personality, and as much as it tries to present itself as a 90's sci-fi buddy comedy, that feels more like a mish mash of different movies with a barely thrown together conductive string - is that it removes its lead heroine's sense of personality with so much armor around her that it practically shows fear of depicting Carol Denvers as anything other than invulnerably strong, and gives her personal stakes that not only I at least was 10 steps ahead of her when it comes to knowledge, but I just didn't care for nor found them exactly urgent. And I ended up knowing just as much about who Carol is at the end of the film as I did at the beginning. Way to go for an origin story.... even The Incredible Hulk did a better job with Banner's characterization than this film. What rescues this thing from being inferior to said film is I guess a marginally better plot in comparison to Incredible Hulk, as well as its really good cast (and yes, Brie Larson does a good job with the weak material she's given), its quite solid comedy, a few good action scenes, a much more striking visual identity with some particularly excellent camera work (and even still, Captain Marvel's visual presentation comes across as bland more often than not, not to mention the inexcusably bad visual effects), a shocking and heartwarming twist with the Skrulls and a really good (if sometimes misused) soundtrack. Otherwise, Captain Marvel is another aggravatingly mediocre film to the point where its mediocrity should be criminal.

Spoiler

Avengers: Age Of Ultron

This has to be one of the most frustrating movies in the entire comic book genre. There are so many little pieces of pure brilliance in here, whether we're talking about screenwriting, acting, setpiece designing and whatnot. The ensemble cast? Apart from Aaron Taylor-Johnson, who was ehh, all great. James Spader's performance as Ultron, specifically? So much fun.... much moreso than what the character deserves, really. The special effects? Mostly quite good. A lot of individual scenes, like the party scene in Avengers Tower, Black Widow calming down the Hulk, Vision lifting Thor's hammer, or Ultron and Vision's dialogue at the end? Absolutely phenomenal. Visual identity-wise? A marked improvement from the original Avengers film. And the overall ride, as a whole, is mildly entertaining, with some of the spectacle giving you just enough awe to at least not bore you all the time. However, it is undeniable how much of a messy, jolted earthquake of a film this is, where you could clearly tell that Joss Whedon's pure vision was compromised by studio prorities. The film's barren necessity to set up Phase 3 stuff would have been okay if naturally interwoven in the narrative, which is exactly the opposite of what happens. Some stuff in this film outright makes no sense, is stupid and should not exist. Ultron as a villain has a fine enough motivation, but his origin is rushed, nonsensical and feels empty, not to mention that he himself is anything but scary and menacing, or even funny as he was trying to be. As a matter of fact, the humor as a whole is painfully awkward, with only the occasional laugh every now and then. The action, while well choreographed and conceptioned, is also way too visual noisey and honestly unexciting for my tastes. And the pacing is way too rapid fire for a film packed with too much content that needs to be unpacked, making it feel all the more empty when you regard my already unexisting investment in its main premise. So much so that, despite how fast and furious it is, it somehow bores me every now and then. It's so much, and yet, it's so much nothing at the same time. This is a total rushjob mess and one of the most disappointing blockbusters I've ever seen. Outright bad film? Wouldn't go that far. But it's not far from it, in all honesty.

Spoiler

Thor

This is a weird one, for me. On the one hand, I think it's one of the better jobs anyone could do with an origin story about an arrogant space God....? On the other hand, it still doesn't rise above meh, despite Kenneth Branagh's valiant attempt. Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston are easily the MVP's of the cast as Thor and Loki respectively, they both did a really good job in their first major impression out of the gate. The cinematography is.... clever'ish, as it depicts Asgard in the most epic, awe-inspiring, jaw-dropping way possible, while the New Mexico stuff is dirt cheap Michael Bay'ified with an odd obsession with dutch angles, and yet that kinda works because it only makes the Asgard stuff look even cooler in comparison. The fish-out-of-water humor with Thor is honestly hilarious (who can forget the iconic "ANOTHER!" scene). And, yeah, if I haven't mentioned already, Asgard and other space realms are easily the most interesting aspects of this film outside of its main hero and villain. Anthony Hopkins is great too, btw. But again, well intentioned as the film is, its own small scale condenses it down to a bunch of side characters no one cares about and a character arc that feels insanely rushed to the point where even 13 year old me noticed how rushed it really was. Thor goes from point A to point Z in an absurd amount of no time. The action is also really not that good. And yeah, I guess Thor is not an incredibly interesting character and what they did here was the best they could do, and it was fine, but nothing that pops out much. It's an ehh film that doesn't offend and doesn't satisfy either. It exists. That's about everything I can say about it.

Spoiler

Doctor Strange

BOT has a hate bone for this one, and imo, it's completely understandable. Every complaint thrown at this movie, I agree with it at least to an extent: its stellar supporting cast is wasted to the point of blasphemy, its writing is awfully stilted with an overabundance on exposition and reaaallllly hit-or-miss humor, the film's structure is laughably similar to Iron Man's, its cinematography and color grading look straight out of a TV hospital drama, the pacing is kinda off as sometimes it moves too slow and sometimes it fast forwards on interesting bits, and the overall experience screams mediocrity, in all honesty. So why do I rank it above Thor, a film that I think has an obviously better villain, probably better cinematography and way better humor? Because, again, it has an immensely more cohesive narrative than that film. Stephen Strange's arc from arrogant know-it-all doctor who learns to accept not only different ideologies, but also humility and kindness is very similar to Thor's arc in his 1st film, but way better structured (even if it has to be done at the expense of ripping off Iron Man's structure), and Cumberbatch's performance is pretty good. As are the performances of all of the cast, despite the majority of cast members having really weak characters (except Cumberbatch and maybe Tilda Swinton). But really, this film is all about the magic, the effects and the ideologies. It approaches its otherwordly magic shenanigans with a very real and interesting thematic (if you believe hard in yourself, everything you want will come your way), and that ideology hits close to the heart of this viewer right here. And let's be honest: this movie boasts some of the greatest visual effects I have ever seen in a movie, and considering this is a film where the effects are the storytelling, that is huge praise to be given. The way how the world is bent, twisted over and turned upside down, people creating all sorts of whips, swords and shields out of thin air, its very LSD-like cosmic trips, the astral plane fight sequence which was amazing (Hell, all of the action is great in the film), the really creative conclusion to the 3rd act (despite the horrible CGI on Dormammu)..... this film is all about the magic, the themes and the action, and when you combine it all with a pretty decent lead character arc, it comes out alright in spite of all of its issues. That being said, I still think this film is only okay at best, and I don't think Scott Derrickson was the best choice for director neither for this or its inevitable sequel, but there is a world of potential for a great Doctor Strange film in the future, even if this wasn't it imo.

Spoiler

Ant-Man And The Wasp

Another Marvel movie that gets completely right down to the center of what the stereotype Marvel movie looks like: a visually bland film that does nothing of note except everything that we've seen already, mostly done better before, and is a downright forgettable experience that one can choose not to watch and they'd be missing out on hardly anything relevant. That being said, for what this film chooses to be - a sci-fi action buddy comedy - it's fine. I gave Doctor Strange huge praise for the things it gets right, and I feel like that movie hits much higher highs than this one.... but again, similarly to how Thor 2 compares to The Incredible Hulk, it also sinks to much lower lows. Ant-Man And The Wasp is a more consistent experience as nothing about it is offensive in any way. Hell, if anything, it might be the most inoffensive sequel they could have possibly crafted for Ant-Man, and I mean that as both a positive and negative, because 'inoffensive' is really one of the best words to describe it as a whole. It's certainly charming and funny enough, with Paul Rudd getting some good laughs, Evangeline Lilly kicking some major ass, the effects being good, Michael Peña nailing it yet again, the lead antagonist, Ghost, being.... fine for what she was supposed to be (I guess), Cassie being super cute and adorable, Michael Douglas (who was really good yet again) and Michelle Pfeiffer having tremendous chemistry in the few scenes they were together, the action is mostly entertaining and creative with the shrinking/growing stuff, the end credits scene is awesome, and....... that's it. There are questions that were definitely left unanswered and should've been answered, there's somethings that don't make a lot of sense, there's characters who do absolute jacksquat and are wastes of their talent, the 1st act is a bit dull and awkward sometimes, and the film manages to kick into some sort of gear but it still never really reaches fifth gear. Still, it's a funny enough little romp with good action and some nice personal stakes for its main characters. It's so unremarkable that it hurts, but it gets the job done far better than the other mediocrity fests that I've listed so far. It's alright, overall.

Spoiler

Iron Man 3

Is it safe to say that this one is the Last Jedi/Batman Returns/Temple Of Doom-type for the MCU: the one that you are either totally on board for its bold-ass choices, or you despite every inch of its existence and wish nothing but demise for the creative team behind it? Because it kinda feels that way, to be honest. But I'm usually the type of dude who is always.... down the middle when it comes to that sort of controversial films. I recognize the pros and cons of all of them, and the same thing is the case here: I recognize Iron Man 3's pros and cons, and overall, I think the film is okay. Certainly better than what a lot of people give it credit for, cause I see so many who think it's outright garbage and I totally disagree. But I also see some who think it's amazing and I wouldn't go that far either. On the pro end of things, once again, it has a really good cast for the most part, I like how the film uses Tony Stark - from his PTSD, which is sadly dropped halfway through the film, to how he basically he ditches the Iron Man suit and has to truly *become* Iron Man himself - I adore the action (easily the best action in all of the Iron Man films and some of the best action in the MCU period - especially the plane rescue sequence and the climax with all of the stupid but still cool Iron Man suits), and, I'm gonna be honest, I actually kinda liked the Mandarin twist. I know, I sound like a crazy person, and trust me, I too am sad that I didn't get to see Ben Kingsley kill it as the menacing, terrifying monster that he was promising to be in the 1st half of the film. However, it was also a funny, unpredictable twist that dodged showing a character who is known to be a gigantic stereotype in the comics, and it depicted the actual villain as a genius who managed to trick everyone into doing his bidding while staying in the shadows and never showing his face. And it actually manages to touch on some very real and current topics, as fear is a good money maker in real life for big bad corporations. Sadly, the pay-off was a totally underwhelming real villain who was just another corporate jackass with some sour grapes towards Stark. Also, the Extremis thing was pretty lame and just felt like they were making it up as they were going along; some of Stark's choices are absolutely baffling and idiotic to say the least (how the hell did you not prepare yourself when you gave your address to an international terrorist); it's the 1st time in the MCU where the comedy felt wayyyyy out of place and completely threw away all sort of real fear that I could have felt for Stark (and yeah, the film did have good jokes, but more often than not, they were definitely not well balanced and awkwardly positioned); and, again, the pay-off to all of the Mandarin build-up was very much a letdown. Even if the scene with the suits was badass, but why the hell didn't Tony just use them to stop his mansion from getting blown up? Bah, whatever. This without even going into the whole thing with the kid played by Ty Simpkins, which was.... fine, cute, I guess, or Rebecca Hall's totally wasted character, or a bunch of other subplots that were in and out of the film like a snap. So yeah, this is a complicated film to talk about, and I think it works best if you see it a Shane Black romp rather than a piece of the MCU, kinda like how The Last Jedi is perhaps better appreciated if you simply see it as a Rian Johnson work of craft rather than a Star Wars movie. But overall, I think it's okay.

Spoiler

Thor: Ragnarok

This movie, were it not for one HUUUUUUUGE problem that I have with it, would be in my top fucking 5 for the MCU, because everything - except one thing - about it is totally awesome! The cast is great and everyone feels like they're trying to steal the show. Thor is given a completely different characterization from what had come before, and it works because you've been with this character for long enough to allow him to develop a unique personality, and this film gives him that personality that he sorely needed. His arc here is actually kinda great, and he truly learns what's the meaning of not just being who he is, but to be a king and a leader. Everyone in the cast is very entertaining, though I think everyone will obviously highlight Taika Waititi's Korg, because of Goddamn course you will. This is also the best Hulk movie imo, and it's the most entertaining Jeff Goldblum performance in a long time (he was Goddamn hilarious). Cate Blanchett's Hela is kind of a one-dimensional villain, but she is having such a blast chewing up the scenery like a Goddess that you don't give a damn about that and just adore everytime she shows up on screen (and my God, she might be the hottest comic book villain of all time.... she looks Hela good). The action is so badass and well designed, especially that final fight in the Rainbow Road or whatever that Asgard bridge is called, when Immigrant Song blasts as Thor is raining down on those assholes..... holy SHIT, it's badass and amazing. The Thor/Hulk fight is an MCU highlight too, from an action and comedy perspective - Hell, that whole second act is terrific for the most part, easily the best part of the film. The cinematography is peak MCU, it is beautifully shot with a really interesting, vibrant and bold visual identity that smartly deviates from anything ever done in the genre. Some shots are basically Italian Renaissance works of art, which is a BRILLIANT choice for a Thor film - this is especially evident during Valkyrie's flashback, which is my favorite scene in the film. Absolutely jaw-dropping stuff. Tessa Thompson is great too, on that note, with Valkyrie being probably my 2nd favorite female character in the MCU (behind Black Widow) and her chemistry with Hemsworth dwarfs what the dude had with Natalie Portman in the 1st two films, which were cleverly taken the piss out of in this one. And a great score by Mark Mothersbaugh too. So, why does this rank only #13? Is it because everything else is so awesome that it's overwhelming? No. It's because Ragnarok has one massive, massive, massive problem: it doesn't give a fuck about its own plot. It doesn't take almost anything seriously. And when I say that, we are talking "Ant-Man And The Wasp, which joked about putting 'quantum' in front of everything, took itself more seriously" amounts of no fucks given. If you're on board for that, great! But remember that this is a movie where the stakes are, y'know, the mass genocide of hundreds of people and the total destruction of an entire realm? And the film actually does want you to care and feel empathy when the villains are about to kill innocents, so it's not like it's going for a This Is The End-type of vibe where you are really diling in on the comedy all the way through. And even if the movie had actually done that, which means that me not caring for innocents dying is exactly the pretended emotion, that's not a choice that I sympathize with because I personally don't like seeing the death of helpless people as a tee-hee haha trick unless extremely carefully done. But nooooo, the film actually does want you to care. Only its own presentation feels like the movie doesn't care itself. The protagonists certainly have no urgency and they treat every single thing - including the destruction of Asgard - as a joke. So why the Hell should I care? And that issue is way too massive for me to ignore. If you actively make me not take the plot of your film seriously at all to the point where it's completely irrelevant to me if everyone dies or not, then I think you kinda failed. The film way overplayed the "taking something that should be sad/serious and turning it into a joke" trick to the point where it became seriously annoying and it destroyed all sort of tension that this plot absolutely should have had. At the very least, if you were gonna do that, then don't try to play the empathy card for the innocents later down the line, because then you are actively telling me you want me to feel tension for them, but you failed at creating that tension beforehand. You either commit entirely to the comedy, or you actually take yourself fucking seriously for the sake of this story. That is my big gripe with Thor: Ragnarok and what prevents it from reaching the brilliance that it clearly had in grasp, because as purely an action comedy film, it is damn near perfection, but it 100% fails at committing to creating emotional investment from my end towards the actual end goal. With that rant put on record, is it still a good movie? Yes. That's because everything besides the plot is so ridiculously amazing that it elevates the film in spite of its one big failure. But it's "just" good imo. It's not great, just good.

Spoiler

Spider-Man: Homecoming

In similar fashion to how I feel about Doctor Strange, I view a good amount of the complaints thrown at Homecoming as valid. It absolutely is another example of Marvel Studios' films being pretty bland, having rather uncreative vision when it comes particularly to visual/stylistic presentation. The film's weakest point, besides the brutally cheap-looking cinematography and special effects, is actually the action.... which, for a big superhero blockbuster, is not only surprising, but deflating. Nevermind the fact that some of its action beats are literal copy-pastes of Spider-Man 2, but the action in this film is flat out boring and unexciting, period. Also, Peter Parker kinda gets away with doing somethings that he really shouldn't and gets no payback, which was.... unintentionally funny, I presume. And similarly to Ant-Man And The Wasp, the film is mostly inconsequential in the long scheme of things. That being said, while Jon Watts clearly proved that he's no good when it comes to big action setpieces and visual effect-heavy shots, it's very clear by the tone, pacing and lowbrow scale of Homecoming that a big action setpiece and visual effect-heavy film isn't even quite what he set out to accomplish. Rather, this is definitely a small stakes coming-of-age comedy about a kid trying to impress his mentor and juggling his superhero life with his high school loser life. And as that kind of film, Homecoming delivers. All it really needed was the script and the cast to pull that off, and it has the script and the cast to pull it off. It's really funny, it's quite charming, it's well paced, Tom Holland is a perfect embodiment of both Peter Parker and Spider-Man, his supporting cast of school mates is all good, I like the arc of Peter literally growing from a spider-"kid" to Spider-Man and not have to ask for training wheels (aka help) or to be something that's bigger than what is better for him to be, and Michael Keaton is awesome as Vulture, one of the few good MCU villains, with a valuable motivation and truly menacing intensity. The twist was legitimately shocking, and that scene of him, Parker and Liz in the car is an MCU highlight.... I have no way of thinking how could anyone have pulled it off better. Yeah, the action kinda sucks, the cinematography is bland and the main hero dodges learning a few lessons, but ultimately, Homecoming achieves what it sets out to achieve. It never desired to be as big as the Raimi films, or really anything big, period. It's its own little corner of adventure that's really well written and entertaining, with a stellar cast to boot. One might find it weird that I sung the praises of Ragnarok and then ranked it under Homecoming, but here's the thing: Ragnarok's one major flaw is that it fails to make me care about its main story. I cared about Homecoming's story. And as much as Ragnarok is better than Homecoming (and most other MCU films) at just about everything except the hero, the villain and the plot, those three alone are strong enough elements to place any film over any other film when you really think about it. So yeah. I liked this. It's good.

Spoiler

Captain America: Civil War

Another BOT "fave", oh brother. I reviewed this one in some form of detail not too long ago and might be repeating myself here, but whatever, we're going with it nonetheless. So Civil War has kind of a bad reputation around here. Hell, I feel like around these streets, its "rival" Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice has more cred. And in some aspects, yeah, it is the better film. One thing that absolutely is no good in Civil War and was good in BVS is the cinematography. CW has the worst cinematography in the MCU. It looks awful. Dullishly and uninterestingly shot apart from a few decent wide angles, shaky cam-galore where shaky cam barely belongs, and abysmal color grading with absolutely zero contrast and all grey tones. The film looks fugly in the eye, and that's kind of inexcusable for a huge blockbuster superhero film like this. Apart from that, BVS also has BY FAR the better score. Henry Jackman's CW score is really dull sounding. And finally, BVS has the better opening sequence.... CW's opening sequence is kinda ruined by the shaky cam. Other CW problems are similar to BVS's problems, even if less aggravating, like an overcomplicated and overconvenient villain plan (albeit Zemo pays off way better and more interestingly than "Lex Luthor") and an anticlimatic ending (though it makes sense why the film ended the way it did). And everything else, CW does not only better than BVS but does well period, and that's what makes it a good movie. It's a good movie, people! The Russos' worst, sure, but still good. The complaints over Bucky being too important are a little moot, because this is a sequel to The Winter Soldier as much as to Age Of Ultron, therefore it makes sense that Cap wants to protect Bucky - an innocent man and a fellow surviving friend from back in his day - from being framed for things he didn't commit OR didn't commit on purpose. Bucky is a bit of a boring character, sure, but he works but what he has to be: Cap's good friend and an honorable dude at heart. Is it a bit over the top how much Cap wants to protect him? Maybe, but there's a lot of people who would take bullets for their best friends, and it was estabilished these two were/are best friends, and literal soldiers who would probably take actual bullets for each other. Plus, even though the argument over the Sokovia Accords is somewhat overshadowed by the fight over Bucky, the Accords are still what rip the Avengers apart, and Bucky is only the replica that further accentuates the fracture. The importance of the two is balanced just fine. Everybody has a totally credible motivation for standing where they stand, all of the ideologies at balance are interesting and created legitimate conflict in my opinion on the matter, the urgency of the complex yet well designed story for these characters is really enhanced by the aforementioned balance between the fights over the Accords and Bucky respectively, and by God, the action is incredible (bar that 1st action sequence with the New Avengers). I might have my issues with how the airport fight is a little "too funny" for what is basically the coming ahead of what the film had been building up to all 2nd act long, but the airport fight is not only not the endgame of the movie (it's just a "capture the flag" type fight for both teams), but the film itself recognizes how it's basically just a childishly padded street fight between two sides that really don't wanna hurt each other but have no choice. Yes, the film plays it safe with all of its choices, but that's because these characters are trying to play it safe all of the time, and with reason. The script is very smart in making that clear. Plus, the real 'civil war' is all happening psychologically, as these people, who don't want pain for one another, grow to spite each other and even themselves more and more as the film goes on. And the real physical civil war blows ahead in the excellent 3rd act fight - no, no one will convince me that Tony Stark was out of character, or that he didn't have the right to be pissed at the man who killed his parents, even if he was technically innocent. While Cap was a bit of a douche in hiding that info too, but I also don't blame him in hiding that information BECAUSE Bucky was innocent and he probably knew Stark would blow up. And the fight itself is tremendous. As is the vast majority of the action in the film, with another standout sequence being the Black Panther chase sequence. Panther was actually the MVP imo, although Spider-Man and Ant-Man were both really cool too, even if a bit shoehorned in. So yeah, there's a lot to unpack when it comes to Civil War and I can see the reasons why the film is controversial around here. It's safe, it's bland, it's very ugly from a crafting perspective, it's a bit of a slow burn (the 1st act can get a bit dull at times), the characters can come across as assholes to each other, its tone is sometimes a bit messy, the ending is anticlimatic (albeit it's a fallacy when y'all say that it makes the film inconsequential - it doesn't, the Avengers are broken at the end and Stark isn't any less mad at Cap because of a buddy buddy letter where Cap apologizes for what he did), it even has one or two WTF moments (look, I know Emily VanCamp is hot and all, but I know I'm not the only one who was uncomfortable with Cap making out with Peggy's niece). But I really feel like most of y'all are too harsh on it and that if you watch it with enough attention, you'll see that the film is probably less good in your heads because you had crafted a different movie before you even saw this one. And it's fine if you disagree with these choices... Hell, I too wanted the film to be more intense. But the film's purpose was purely to divide the Avengers before the events of Infinity War, not to be as epic or memorable as the actual Civil War from the comics. And taking it for what it is, it's quite good. Albeit, still the worst Cap film and the worst Russos MCU film.

Spoiler

Captain America: The First Avenger

This one is insanely underrated. I don't get the hate. I really don't. And I never did. I've always thought it is very good! I mean, sure, it has its problems, but 99% of all films do. This movie has so much heart and so much soul that it oozes pureness right out of its veins. And most of that comes entirely from Chris Evans' almost flawless performance as Steve Rogers. Here's a dude who would literally take a grenade to save his comrades without hesitation and wants to help out everyone without giving a fuck about being more helpless than a fly. Not just for the good of 'Murica, but for the good of everyone out there. And not a lot of superhero films are about superheroes who are just good people at heart who want to help others. That pureness is probably what makes Steve Rogers such a striking character. The supporting cast is all pretty good too, ranging from Tommy Lee Jones Tommy Lee Jones'ing to great effect, to Hugo Weaving chewing up the scenery as the Red Skull, to Dominic Cooper's great showing as Howard Stark, to Hayley Atwell absolutely nailing Peggy Carter, with Steve and Peggy being one of the very few MCU couples that I truly feel for. And Steve's rise to becoming Captain America is one that's quite entertaining and even joyful to see... it really does remind me of other super fun anti-Nazi adventures like Raiders or The Rocketeer (directed by Joe Johnston, as was this movie). The disappointing elements of the film are definitely the action, which is montaged to all Hells (couldn't we have actually seen Cap be a badass more than just a couple of times?), as well as all of the MacGuffins at play that sometimes lead to a dulling down of the plot. But nevertheless, the film is still engaging and enthralling most of the times and you care about what happens to its characters (even if you don't really feel Bucky's "death", you still felt for Cap; and you especially felt for Peggy at the end). And the ending, in particular, with Cap waking up in modern New York and telling Fury that he had a dance coming was just perfection. Oh, and Alan Silvestri's score is totally awesome and fuck Marvel for not bringing back Cap's theme permanently! So yeah. First Avenger is quite good. It deserves more credit than it gets. Fuck da hatarz.

Spoiler

Ant-Man

Another film that's a bit on the underrated side of things... at least nowadays, because wom seemed pretty damn great back in 2015. Don't know if people find it dated or not, but I sure don't. Again, does it have issues? Sure, and I agree with most of them: it is, like Doctor Strange, too similar to Iron Man; it has a very generic villain; its 1st act is a bit off at times when it comes to the pacing and the comedy (seems to be a trend for the Ant-Man movies, cause the same thing happened with the sequel); and it is a bit on the disposable end. That being said, as far as disposable comedy superhero flicks go, this one is one of my faves. I really liked this, for similar reasons why Homecoming works for me: a movie like this needs a great cast and a funny script to work. Guess what? Ant-Man has a great cast and a hilarious script. This is one of the funniest MCU films, it sometimes makes me laugh to tears. They really knew where to pull the strings here, and whether that's all Edgar Wright's ideas or some of it is Peyton Reed's vision, I dunno, but if the two converged for this stellar script, than all the good for it. Paul Rudd is really great and charming here, and you root for Scott Lang from basically second one right away until the end. Michael Douglas is also terrific as Hank Pym, and Goddamn, is Michael Peña a comedy genius or not. Credit to TI as well, but Peña really stole the show. Evangeline Lilly is good too, but Hope doesn't do a whole lot in this film.... her shot came in the sequel and she did good there too. This movie does lowkey boast some of the MCU's best CGI. The effects are excellent. Even if they don't always look real, they look GOOD. It's really fun to see the world from tiny Ant-Man's perspective, and the ants are all so adorable and charming and fun, one just wants to spend all day seeing Lang interact with the little ones. I felt a lot more sad for Ant-ony's death here than I did for Quicksilver in Age Of Ultron, for Christ's sake! And Hell, the whole idea of Mission: Impossible with ants sounds ridiculous, but it was believable all the way through.... even if overpadded when they could've resolved it sooner. So yeah, I really like this movie. It's very enjoyable, has a nice redemption story, a stellar cast, a hilarious script and great effects. Well done here to everyone involved.

Spoiler

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2

This one is not underrated by BOT, but it definitely is by the outer internet. A lot of people out there seem to think that this movie is some sort of gigantic letdown. Well I say "screw those people, they don't know what they're talking about" cause this movie kicks ass! Now, if you go into it expecting it to be a huge stakes mega blockbuster where there's tons of information about the foregoing MCU, you're walking into the wrong movie. And I imagine that rubbed some people the wrong way. It certainly took me by surprise the 1st time I saw it, but in all honesty, considering how well it was really done, I never felt bothered by that. And the complaint that this film is just a bunch of jokes and nothing else couldn't be further from the truth. Now, it is true that some of it is too much, I will give you that. Drax is basically a comic goof in this movie, and compared to the good balance between the comedy and the drama with his character in the original, that's a bit of a disappointment, albeit Dave Batista kills it. The humor with Mantis being ugly, and Taserface.... also a bit awkward. The yellow alien people? Totally unnecessary. And some of the stuff with Ego is a little bit on the mess side of things. Apart from these gripes, Guardians 2 has incredible visuals (easily one of the most beautiful looking films in the MCU), stellar character studying (yeah, some of the points made in the film had already been made in Vol. 1 and feel like backtracking - particularly with Rocket - and sometimes the points are hammered down a bit too much, but it doesn't matter because they resonate the most in this movie all the same), a great cast, and tremendous emotional beats that actually did move me. Especially those final 15 minutes of the film, which are almost flawless. Love the opening credits sequence too. Everyone is good, but Michael Rooker totally steals the show as Yondu, almost every scene with him is the best. And Baby Groot.... how can you not love Baby Groot? Seriously? The laughs are here, the music is here, the team chemistry is here - all of which are things that Vol. 1 did better imo, but are still well done here. And comparatively, Vol. 2 amps up the visuals and the emotional beats tenfold. This is a great, fresh sequel that smartly does its own thing and allows the Guardians films to keep a very individual identity separate from everything else in the MCU. It doesn't try to outdo or outspectacle the 1st film.... it simply builds on its foundation in clever ways. That's a good sequel does. I think Vol. 1 is overall better, but Vol. 2 is still really good.

Spoiler

Black Panther

And we go from one movie with incredible visuals.... to one where the CGI is straight out of a PlayStation 2 disc. That being said, it is also the one superhero movie that got nominated for Best Picture, so it must've done SOMETHING right. I mean, even Crash has its qualities, after all. But all jokes aside, yeah, I know Black Panther is definitely low on the visual effects scale of things, I know its pacing is not the greatest and I know it leaves a little to be desired in some aspects of its cinematography - particularly when it comes to action, cause a lot of the action scenes in the film are either poorly lit or poorly shot, and then made worse by the turrible CG - but the movie is so much more than just these few gripes. The film means something to a lot of people. I am not a black person, so I'm not going to pretend like it has the same impact on me that it would on a person of said color, but I completely understand why the film is such a big deal for anyone who dons black skin. And well, it's a really good film regardless of how culturally important or not it is. At its heart, it's a royal drama about a leader who is conflicted between a world who needs help and a futuristic, awe-inspiring population who needs solid leadership after the odd choices of past kings. And it's really interesting to see the lead villain, Killmonger, basically be the one to teach some form of morality to the main hero, who learns the right lesson from Killmonger without following his bloodthirsty ideals, but that's not to say that Killmonger doesn't have a point deep down (which is such clever writing for a villain). Chadwick Boseman is good in the title role, but the weird thing is that he's totally overshadowed by all of the supporting cast, from Michael B. Jordan's superb take as Killmonger, to the great women of Wakanda (Okoye, Shuri and Lupita Nyong'o's character in particular), to Winston Duke's totally ridiculous M'Baku, to Andy Serkis hamming it up in epic scale as Klaw. The one really good action scene in the film, the Hong Kong chase, is pretty amazing and almost makes up for the shortcomings of the other ones. Which themselves have their qualities too, due to the strong character work that goes around them. And yeah, I criticized the cinematography of the film and part of it comes probably from Marvel/Disney's fault for not letting Ryan Coogler's team work on the project for a longer amount of time, but Rachel Morrison does conjure up some absolutely beautiful shots, not to mention that all of the non-action scene camera work is top notch. The worldbuilding of Wakanda is tremendous, with the set and costume design as well as the Wakandian people themselves blending the Afrofuturism with the tribal nature of a nation that hasn't expanded much beyond Africa in ways that are quite inspired. And fuckin' hell, Ludwig Goransson's score is INCREDIBLE and a worthy winner of the Best Original Score Oscar. But Killmonger and the great arc that T'Challa goes through really are the winning aspects of Black Panther. This is a really good movie. No, it's not perfect. Absolutely not even close. But it is quite good, and again, while it doesn't mean as much to me as to someone who is of race, for obvious reasons, at the end of the day, film is a universal language and it should speak to all of us equally. And Black Panther was a beautiful transmission of a very topical message that transcends mere commentary about race relations: the message that, if you can, go out and help people who need that help. Don't just take everything you have for granted. Who cares if the CGI is PS2-worthy or not, if a film that move that kind of emotion on me, than fuck it, I'll take my hat off for it regardless.

Spoiler

Iron Man

The one that started it all. Having seen Avengers: Endgame, it really hit home how the success of this one movie made all of this happen. I don't think even Kevin Feige, Jon Favreau or Robert Downey Jr. saw that coming, but we owe this insane cinematic achievement that the MCU has become to those three (and to a lesser extent to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, who created all these ridiculous characters in the panels, and sadly, never got a chance to see the conclusion to this 22-film build-up, but still left an invaluable legacy behind). But rewatching it recently, Iron Man wasn't just a flavor of the day type thing.... it still stands the test of time as one of the best in the series, and without a doubt one of the superhero origin story films ever made. I would even argue that 2/3 of this film are practically flawless, with the only last third becoming problematic. Even 11 years later, the effects, the writing or the atmosphere of it all don't feel hugely dated. If anything, Iron Man's dirtier, grimier, grittier tone compared to many other MCU films still makes it feel fresh in today's perspective. Albeit what really makes it work is obviously RDJ's impeccable performance as Tony Stark, an egotistical billionaire tech genius who sees his life turned upside down when he's abducted by terrorists and escapes their grasp with the creation of what would be the 1st Iron Man suit, which he then takes the concept of to create more, grander special things for himself. This film has some intense themes going on.... it's not quite as digestible if you're, say, a young one, as even the 1st Avengers movie. There's terrorism, war toys, war toy marketability, alcoholism and all sorts of adult shit going on here, so Iron Man, ironically considering that it started the franchise that is stereotypized as jokey and fluffy, is not jokey and fluffy...... all the time. A lot of it IS jokey, although I don't know about fluffy. But there are definitely quips, lots of them, and guess what? The majority of them are funny and quotable, and only create an amazing edge to a character that RDJ was born to play. This movie was more fun and more fresh than other superhero films at the time, but even to this day, that freshness is still somewhat present in there. The 1st two thirds - the origin of how Stark became Iron Man, all the way until the big dogfight between Mark 3 and the Air Force - are practically perfect. Like, I don't think I would change a thing about them. Iron Man going to the Middle East and killing those terrorists is one of the most satisfying, inspiring moments in any superhero film ever. And the grungy, industrial guitar themes of the film certainly add to its atmosphere... when they're actually audible (yeah, we all saw the essay on Marvel's music problem and I agree). Supporting cast is also pretty good. And, while the 3rd act is really cheesy, really out of place and really lame compared to what had come before (and this is coming from someone who wouldn't rank Jeff Bridges' Obadiah Stane as one of the worst MCU villains, but c'mon, it felt like something out of a totally different film), it made up for it with a perfect ending ("I am Iron Man") and still the most iconic end credits stinger to date. What else can be said about Iron Man that hasn't been said? This film created a juggernaut franchise and an instantly iconic character/actor combination, while also still standing the test of time as a great superhero film on its very own right. A legend of the comic book genre.

Spoiler

The Avengers

If there's one film in the series whose greatness has definitely been a little undercut by the unfriendliness of time, it's The Avengers. Compared to all of its sequels - even Age Of Ultron - it looks considerably more dated, particularly from a cinematography perspective. I would even go as far as to say it looks like a pilot for Agents Of SHIELD. The 1st act also starts off a little on the slow side. And.... well, it doesn't exactly bear what I'd call a deep plot, with some deus ex-machina and some seriously headscratchy dumb moments. The whole film is quite dumb. But, let's be real for a second: do you give a fuck about how dumb it is? Of course you don't. Is this film an absolute (no pun intended) marvel in ensemble filmmaking and screenwriting to the point where these two are absolutely perfect, and you are so invested in all of the characters that the third act is some of the most fun you'll ever have watching a superhero film? Hell yes! The fact that they actually pulled The Avengers off is amazing on its own, because a film like this, even before it came out, sounded nigh impossible to exist. How could every character be well integrated in the movie without the juggling of so many different tones making it feel like a bunch of different movies, and how could everything be kept together in one cohesive string? Well, Joss Whedon did it. Everybody is on point, not just because the casting done by the previous films was pure beauty and it came together beautifully here, but because Whedon's script was so impeccably good that it was hard to fail. It didn't matter which of the characters was your favorite going in: they all had their shine. Even Hawkeye. Loki, despite how dumb his plan was, was such an interesting, entertaining and menacing villain and a formidable foe for the Avengers, and man, did they step up to the table. Despite the slow 1st act and the logic gaps, acts 2 and 3 are damn near perfection and an incredible conclusion to the previous films, as well as a perfect bridge for everything that would come after. You could even watch The Avengers without having seen the other Phase 1 solo films and still be invested because the film is so well written, so well acted, so well conceptioned and just so much fun that it's almost impossible to dislike. The comedy? Gold. The interactions? Gold. The action? Fucking gold. Just..... yeah, it's one of the greats. Dated? Sure, but still one of the greats. Oh, and while the entire score isn't overtly memorable, the Avengers theme by Alan Silvestri? At this point, hard not to make a case for it as iconic.

Spoiler

Avengers: Endgame

This might be a bit of a kneejerk reaction since I only saw it once and pretty recently. However, I find it hard to think that it's not a permanent stay in the top 5, at least for now. I will avoid spoiling just in case you're one of the few out there who hasn't seen it yet, but all I'll say is that I feel like all three hours are used to tremendous advantage, the ensemble cast is terrific with Paul Rudd and the original Avengers being the standouts in my opinion, the third act being undescribably epic, emotional and certainly a special way to tie all loose ends..... and the actual final scene of the film is a baffling little piece of WTF'ery and the one major gripe that I have with it, as it pushes the envelope of the rules the film set. There are a few other minor quibbles every now and then and some bold choices that I'm sure some will not get on board with, but I found myself enjoying the ride all the way through and most of it was so well made, with a terrific cast, a great script, stellar Silvestri score and a smart structure that pays off the previous 21 films incredibly. There's just not much else to say. The film absolutely killed it and came just a short grasp away from perfection.

Spoiler

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

There are some movies that look good and come out good. There are some movies that look great and come out great. And then there's movies that look good and come out great. That was the case with The Winter Soldier for me. This is a film that, from start to finish, I can hardly pinpoint anything that I particularly find to be a negative. The pacing is perfect, the cast is perfect, the script is perfect, the twists and turns are (mostly) unpredictable, the action is impeccably choreographed, the film has some of that shaky and grey cinematography that I'm usually not huge on BUT feel like was mostly well used here, the score by Henry Jackman, while nowhere near as good as Alan Silvestri's for The First Avenger, also works enough for the context of this particular film's intensity, and it turned Cap from a likeable, heartfelt hero to a full on ass-kicking machine that would even leave Batman intimidated by the threat ahead of him. Black Widow is also such a perfect compliment to Cap, as the chemistry between ScarJo and Evans is flawless and extremely entertaining, while the Winter Soldier himself is such a scary, threatning, intense villain that every time he shows up, the mood of the film changes completely. One of the few MCU villains completely done justice. The humor is also smartly balanced, self-contained and clever, and Falcon and Cap's also great chemistry really helps that out. If there are issues with the film, I guess that the "dead but not really" trick is done a bit too much to the point of eye rolling, and there are a few wasted side characters. That aside, this is just an awesome movie with an incredibly interesting 70's political thriller, conspiracy theory-like atmosphere that it is impossible not to take the film seriously even when the film is making light of itself every now and then. It just does it right, and it's the point where Captain America was turned into the MCU's most noteworthy badass and a true crowd fave, and you can thank the Russos for really giving him that shot of adrenaline that, even despite how well he came across in his 1st solo movie, he kinda needed.

Spoiler

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Is Guardians more imperfect than, say, Winter Soldier or maybe even Endgame? Perhaps. And that mostly comes down to the villain, as Ronan The Accuser is an infamously hokey villain with an ehh motivation that you know is nothing more than just Thanos' little puppy at the end of the day. I like him more than Malekith, Whiplash or Yellowjacket, to name some other MCU moron villains, but that doesn't mean he's much better. A bit of a waste of Lee Pace's talent. I guess Karen Gillan's Nebula also stuck out like a sore thumb as a bit of an over the top mince when the film originally came out, but nowadays with the full context of the series, her character is fully understandable, which only makes this film better in hindsight. And apart of that......... I guess maybe one or two inconsistencies every now and then? Otherwise, Guardians is everything a superhero film should strive to be. It has a completely individual, impossible to duplicate identity and vibe to it, with its perfect mix of a superbly written and absolutely hilarious script by James Gunn, a pitch perfect cast of rag-tag unlikely heroes that sound on paper like the stupidest things ever but are executed so well that you can't help but buy every single thing that they say and do, gorgeous space opera set design and visuals, a spectacularly well chosen soundtrack that people still associate with the film to this day, great action, and really fresh and funny ideas and takes on just about everything. This is the first MCU film that felt like a full-on comedy, which it totally delievers on, and yet it's also somehow one of the most emotionally powerful films in the series. One could argue that its emotional beats are a bit sudden, but they never feel unearned because, again, they're tightly scripted and superbly well acted. Vol. 2 is stronger in the emotional department, but the 1st movie still pulled the heartstrings on me quite a bit. And it's just such a unique, vibrant, delightful ride that, much like with The Avengers, one just has to be dead inside not to like. Yeah, it's a totally dumb and stupid movie, but guess what? It tooootally works. Even the villain kinda works to an extent because he does get a moment of menace every now and then, and you do wanna see the Guardians kick his ass when all things are said and done. So yeah. I fucking adore this movie. It's one of my favorite superhero movies ever and it has been since it came out. But, as far as the MCU goes, only one film surpasses it.

Spoiler

Avengers: Infinity War

Again, I don't know if Endgame can climb higher on this list without the advent of time, but after watching it, it only enhances just how well they pulled this off. Now yeah, one could say that it does have the element of "just bear with it" because of the whole logic that there's only one outcome out of 14 million in which they win. I'm sure one could think of a million ways where they could stop Thanos, but I guess that somehow, the universe would end up in the same sorry state of defeat nevertheless apart from this one outcome. You just kinda have to go with it. There's also one or two conveniences every now and then that do make you scratch your head a bit. But, as a whole, Infinity War is almost perfect for everything it needs to be. At its heart, it's the tale of a man(?) who is on a crusade to do the thing that he thinks is the right thing, and in his deranged, psychopathic mind, never for one second doubts the nobility of his choice, and how everyone else is pulling all sorts of strings to stop him, only for (both purposeful and accidental) incompetence by even our own heroes, as well as Thanos' sheer own power, to consistently get in the way, and creating one of the most instantly memorable villains of our generation, and an ending that left the same shock and awe in unsuspecting audiences as The Empire Strikes Back did in 1980. Hell, people call this movie the new Empire, and with good reason. Not to say it's as good as Empire, but Goddamn, for the superhero genre, Infinity War is just superb. The many different hero combinations are so clever - from Iron Man and Doctor Strange, to Cap and Panther, to Thor, Rocket and Groot, and so fort - that every new interaction feels fresh and exciting. The script is so tightly created that every single joke lands, and - unlike your Age Of Ultrons, Ragnaroks, Iron Man 3's and, to an extent, Civil Wars of the world - none of it compromises the actual tension of the film, which is palpable with a butter knife. Thanos inflicts fear from the very 1st scene. You take him seriously and you know people are fucked with this guy, and his character is so interestingly designed and so multi-dimensional that he really is the highlight of the film. One could even say he's the protagonist while being the antagonist at the same time. He's quotable, he's intelligent, he's cunning, he's mad powerful (did you see how he beat up the Hulk?), he's a total psychopath.... and yet, the movie's aura of naturally allowing you to understand his point of view while not necessarily making you agree with it (he's still the villain, after all) makes him compelling to the point where one could even internally argue with oneself if they might or might not agree with Thanos to an extent, similarly to Killmonger in Black Panther. The CGI motion capture work on Josh Brolin is, well, spectacular, and Brolin's performance is also absolutely spectacular in the role. Pitch perfect, dare I say. The action is also great, and if few scenes get a little Ultrony in their visual noise, but the film knows when to pull back on that just on the tip of danger, the better action sequences of the film are awe-inspiring.... especially the incredible battle in Titan where the Avengers and Guardians face Thanos on his own. Doctor Strange is done better justice in this film than in his own solo movie, by the way, I'm sure that a Russos Strange film could be Winter Soldier levels of awesome. And yes, the ending, as obvious of a cliffhanger with resolution left to exist as it may be to anyone with a functioning brain, is..... well, it was an instant culture zeitgeist moment when it happened, it pretty much estabilished Thanos as easily the villain of all villains in the MCU and probably the greatest of them all since Heath Ledger's Joker, and it works so well not just due to the shocking nature of who bites the dust (no pun intended), but due to the total lack of music that accompanies it, as well as the stunned reactions of those who get to live. On that note, Silvestri's score is second or third to his own for Endgame and possibly Goransson for Black Panther as the best in the whole franchise. Infinity War was a massive endeavour, and it is not just a miracle that a film with these many characters, tones and subplots juggled into one giant package is actually cohesive in any way, but that actually all of them come together to create one incredible ride of epic storytelling with amazing characters, action and shocks. This is the kind of film that happens when all of the right talent is reunited at the right time, and all of the right talent was reunited at the right time to create it.

Anyone that disagrees with this list is wrong and doesn't know what the fuck are they talking about :ph34r:

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well, now having seen all of the 22 films in the series - and not wanting to create a separate thread for this, so I'm just gonna put it right here, it felt right to the old ranking thing according to my own personal opinion. Don't worry, no Endgame spoilers. So, yeah. The 22 MCU films, the Infinity Saga if you will, ranked from worst to best, starting now:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Anyone that disagrees with this list is wrong and doesn't know what the fuck are they talking about :ph34r:

Thanks for this! Good read.

Passing The Avengers in Australia today.

• Like 4
  • Astonished 2

Avengers: Endgame has now passed Jurassic World's total box office, making it the #5 highest grossing film!

Endgame is also on course to sink the Titanic for the #2 spot before the end of the weekend.

On 4/29/2019 at 9:41 PM, K1stpierre said:

I’m not a sith, so I never deal in absolutes.

However, with that said....

This OW record will never be beat. We won’t see anything like this again (at least not in our lifetime).

It’ll be broken in under 10 years - wouldn’t be surprised if it was half that time. But it’s gonna stand for awhile 

Posted over at Blu-Ray.com 

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, jaybox said:

It’ll be broken in under 10 years - wouldn’t be surprised if it was half that time. But it’s gonna stand for awhile 

I think the natural inflation of ticket prices guarantee it will probably be broken in Ten Years.

Posted (edited)

Assuming a $476 million first week (so a $22.6 million Thursday), it's INSANE to think that this can drop 50% EVERY week and still make $952 million in it's domestic run. 

*Edit, the movie made $21.4 million on Thursday and the week one total is $473.8 million*

Dropping 50% every week gives these results

April 26-May 2: $476,000,000

May 3-9: $238,000,000

May 10-16: $119,000,000

May 17-23: $59,500,000

May 24-30: $29,750,000

May 31-June 6: $14,875,000

June 7-13: $7,437,500

June 14-20: $3,718,750

June 21-27: $1,859,375

June 28-July 4: $929,688

July 5-11: $464,844

July 12-18: $232,422

July 19-25: $116,211

July 26-August 1: $58,106

August 2-8: $29,053

August 9-15: $14,527

August 16-22: $7,264

August 23-29: $3,632

August 30-September 5: $1,816

September 6-12: $908

Total: $951,999,098

But obviously.....it won't be dropping 50% every week, maybe on select weeks yes, but I believe Spider-Man: Far From Home will boost numbers quite a bit as fans will want to rewatch Endgame so it can be fresh in their minds before they continue with Far From Home which is confirmed to be the end of Phase 3. Also Toy Story 4 and The Lion King might have double features and also the reception is out of this world. 

By comparison, Infinity War had a weekly average drop of 37.1% and if you don't count its first week drop, it dropped an average of only 36% a week from its second week until its closing date.

Endgame has undoubtedly more competition so let's put the week 1-to-2 drop at 56.2% (0.2% less than Infinity War) and make the average weekly drop from that point on slightly higher than 36%. Let's say.... -39.5%

Assuming Endgame is in theaters for 20 weeks like Infinity War was

[EDIT: Made $473,894,638 actual for first week so I will make the second week drop slightly lighter at 55.8%, the third week drop slightly steeper at 40.1% and the rest of the drops the same -39.5% average to balance things out]

Week 1: $473,894,638 actual (Apr 26-May 2)

Week 2: $209,641,362 (-55.8%)

Week 3: $125,559,280 (-40.1%)

Week 4: $75,963,364 (-39.5% from now on)

Week 5: $45,957,835

Week 6: $27,804,490 (May 31-Jun 6)

Week 7: $16,821,717

Week 8: $10,177,139

Week 9: $6,157,169

Week 10: $3,725,087 (Jun 28-Jul 4)

Week 11: $2,253,678

Week 12: $1,363,475

Week 13: $824,902

Week 14: $499,066 (Jul 26-Aug 1)

Week 15: $301,935

Week 16: $182,670

Week 17: $110,515

Week 18: $66,862

Week 19: $40,451 (Aug 30-Sep 5)

Week 20: $24,473

Total: 1,001,370,108

So IMO, I'd say this has a very good chance at hitting $1 billion domestic due a mix of very strong word of mouth, amazing repeat viewing value, and what I previously mentioned about Spider-Man: Far From Home's effect on said repeat viewings. There is just too much going for this movie!

FUCK IT I'M ON THE $1B DOM HYPE TRAIN!! 

Edited by Arlo245
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

Posted (edited)

7a9d49822f3e0c83900c0fc8178b27bb.pngnow i am thinking  i think thor should be 4

Edited by AnDr3s

Just finished 2nd viewing  Imax was almost full at 10:00 in the morning on a working day. Crowd was quieter than opening day crowd but still more clapping/cheering/shouting than any other movie gets on opening day. There were also a lot of people who were seeing this for the second or more time. 

I was happy that the crowd was quiet however. Last time it was so loud I couldnt even hear the score most of the time but this time I could hear it properly and really appreciate it. The score is freaking awesome!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

They need to stop teasing me and post the whole damn thing. 

• Like 2

Another BTS video but not spoilery - doesn't even mention which movie (don't click onto read the comments)

Just now, Sam said:

They need to stop teasing me and post the whole damn thing. 

Stop teasing me Marvel!  They could release a 2 hour cut and I'd pay to see it at the movies. 

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, AnDr3s said:

7a9d49822f3e0c83900c0fc8178b27bb.pngnow i am thinking  i think thor should be 4

Do you have the link this sorting quiz?

today my 2nd viewing but now in IMAX 3D

Hmm, not far off, top & bottom 6 are on point while all those in the middle could easily move up or down a few places.

No Valkyrie or Goose? Pfft.

MCU Hero Characters - Result

1. Captain America
  2. Iron Man
  3. Black Widow
  4. Thor
  5. Spider-Man
  6. Hulk
  7. Nick Fury
  8. Falcon
  9. Rocket Raccoon
  10. Ant-Man