Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | William Hurt returns as Secretary of State Thaddeus 'Thunderbolt' Ross NOT confirmed | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540

2 hours ago, raulbalarezo said:

They don’t care about spoilers anymore, that’s a lot of spoilers from the 3rd act

Ok, that's obviously silly, but why are you posting the clip in the non-spoiler thread then?

1 minute ago, incognitoo said:

Ok, that's obviously silly, but why are you posting the clip in the non-spoiler thread then?

Because it’s an official clip for the movie, and the users here have the freedom to choose whether to open the link or not

Posted (edited)

So, I FINALLY watched the movie:)...and it's good.

Its greatest achievement is that it is such a rewarding watch.  It's the Return of the Jedi of the series for me...a B+ movie with everything you could possibly want in the finale.

Did it feel like 3 hours?  In parts, YES.

Was the 3 hours used the best way?  In parts, NO.  I would have cut multiple things, and yet expounded on a lot of things to really both give the gut punches even more feel and explain the character motivations.

Was Shazam better - my spouse and I disagreed:).

As just a movie, for me, Shazam is the better plotted, tighter movie.  It's also the one to which I would (and did) take my kids.  My kids would not have liked Endgame - the youngest boys would have been bored and the older girls would have felt they missed too much and not gotten into it.  My spouse thinks he gives the edge to Endgame, but barely.  Of course, when you are talking "this is really good, no this one is double plus good"...well, that's a good fan debate to have.

So, in sum - B+ movie on its merits from me / A- from the spouse...but a well-done finale to my favorite superhero movie Infinity War last year:)...

(No spoilers in this review, but I could go on about cuts and definite adds that were needed to kick this movie into A- territory:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I got what I wanted

well he will have to do it again in couple weeks, never seen congrats for 2nd place

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I got what I wanted

ezgif-1-63f2d327e771.gif

Edited by raulbalarezo
  • Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/04/10/avengers-endgame-infinity-war-box-office-batman-star-wars-harry-potter-twilight-jurassic-park-spider-man/amp/

:rofl:

"But it is just as likely that it’ll open slightly worse or only slightly better than its immediate predecessor." 

Scott just compared it to a bunch of franchises ignoring the movie's freaking presales and hype. 

Then there's this. 

"I mean, I guess Avengers: Endgame could open with $382 million, but it could also open below the second frame of Disneynature’s Penguins. Both things are about as likely," 

First of all, it opened to just $25 million less than that and apparently it was just as likely it would open to less than $1.14 million than $382 million or more. Once again, $25 million away! And it opening to $50 million let alone $1.2 MILLION is impossible so $355-385 million opening was essentially deemed impossible.

"The 35% jump from Clones to Sith (“finale bump” and all) would give Infinity War a $348 million debut. But Marvel already played the “it all ends here” card with Infinity War, and Revenge of the Sith wasn’t three hours long. History shows that it’s as likely for Endgame to open just below Infinity War." 

Ended up opening $9 million higher. And once again there was NO actual indication it would opening lower than Infinity War. He is using irrelevant excuse of "history" meaning anything for Endgame. Please discuss the RECENT history regarding presales and awareness.

"Using this history, we’re arguably looking at an opening weekend between $230 million and $283 million."

That's one of his problems. He's using irrelevant history with movies and is ignoring actual tracking and hype. 

"The difference between a bigger opening and a lower opening than Infinity War will be whether that many people are super-psyched for Avengers 4 in a way that they weren’t for Avengers 3."

And they WERE....because of Avengers 3's cliffhanger and good will which was absent in Age of Ultron. 

"Moreover, it may be a matter of folks who were excited for Infinity War because of Black Panther and whether Endgame can replicate that excitement with Captain Marvel."

People were hyped for Endgame before Captain Marvel. That movie is not the reason people were hyped for Endgame. Infinity War is the reason. Black Panther's breakout performance was actually way more of the reason for IW's hype than CM was for EG. But CM did make some people more excited than they already were. Endgame would have still made a ridiculous amount of money without CM. 

"Again, it’s going to make gobs of money worldwide over the week of April 26. But just don’t be a Debbie Downer if it “only” opens with $257.6 million domestic and/or $838 million worldwide."

That so-called "realistic" worldwide figure is why this guy has no idea what he is talking about. Did this guy forget about China? It opened to almost $700 million from China and the US alone. Also, $257.6 million would be an underperformance based on once again, tracking and hype which were ignored by Scott. 

Not hating, just sometimes amuses me what the professionals have to say about the box office that us "amateurs" are "unaware" of. 😂

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Scott is just clickbait nonsense and by no means should he be considered a professional even though he writes for Forbes.

Anyway, it took 10 years to get from a $100M opener to a $200M opener and that was with the help of 3D. It is going to be a long time before EGs record is touched.

Edited by CloneWars
  • Thanks 2

On 5/9/2019 at 6:19 AM, Charlie Jatinder said:

I got what I wanted

They forgot the best one, drawn by Drew Struzan in Feb 1997. ;) 

StarWars97SpielbergVarietyx2.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Juby said:

They forgot the best one, drawn by Drew Struzan in Feb 1997. ;) 

StarWars97SpielbergVarietyx2.png

Nope. I didn't. Just that Twitter allow only four images in a Tweet.

Kinda bummed that it'll miss the 3 Billion mark. I mean beating Avatar is great but 3 billion was such a milestone.

Damn.

Who would have thought ?

Not him probably.

Love how he uses the old  cliché grounded argument, when you look at how bold the MCU went, being 100% pure and unadulterated  comic book craziness.

Once they decided Thanos would be Hulk-sized the idea of him being practical went out the window.

Any idea on a time table as to when it'll pass Avatar WW? I've seen some people say the 20th.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Once they decided Thanos would be Hulk-sized the idea of him being practical went out the window.

Any idea on a time table as to when it'll pass Avatar WW? I've seen some people say the 20th.

It's not a lock that Endgame will pass Avatar. It's certain possible, but not anywhere near a given.

It it does, it will be fun to see the Cameron fanboys start to scream about the difference in ticket prices between 2009 and 2019, because when somebody brought "adjust for inflataion" up until now,, the fanboys would shout them down, because if you did htat Avatar would no longer be the biggest ticket seller in history.

Edited by dudalb

Inflation!

Exchange rates!

Inflation!

Exchange rates!

My sister!

My daughter!

17 hours ago, dudalb said:

It's not a lock that Endgame will pass Avatar. It's certain possible, but not anywhere near a given.

It it does, it will be fun to see the Cameron fanboys start to scream about the difference in ticket prices between 2009 and 2019, because when somebody brought "adjust for inflataion" up until now,, the fanboys would shout them down, because if you did htat Avatar would no longer be the biggest ticket seller in history.

just go for a fun walk around the Avatar 2 thread ... it all has already been said. 

This movie will most likely beat Avatar, although it looks like $3 billion is probably out of the question. 

1 hour ago, meriodejaneiro said:

just go for a fun walk around the Avatar 2 thread ... it all has already been said. 

I am tempted to go there, if that is what is happening..and point out that on the  adjusted lists, Avatar is #15...coming in behind the 1959 Ben Hur.