Neo

Avengers Endgame | Conclusion to The Infinity Saga | William Hurt returns as Secretary of State Thaddeus 'Thunderbolt' Ross NOT confirmed | April 26, 2019 | Review Reactions on page 540

Posted (edited)

To me EG beating Avatar still feels as inevitable as BP crossing 700 did for months. Maybe it will take a few months from here and not necessarily be completely organic, but I'm sure it happens one way or the other. 

And if Disney doesn't do anything to push it over if it needs that, then at the very least it's beating Avatar's first run WW gross, which is 2.749b for the record. 

Edited by MovieMan89

39 minutes ago, danhtruong5 said:

How much tickets sold WW currently for EG? 

More than Avatar.

• Haha 2

"Titanic" is a movie today that is still talked about in random conversations.

No random, casual moviegoer has brought up "Avatar" since it hit ~$2.8 billion, maybe even long before then.

“I got very close to G.I. Joe. I got very close to Gambit in the Wolverine X-Men movies,” Chris admits. “At the time I was upset. I was running out of money. But if I played either of those characters, I wouldn’t have been able to play Thor.”

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

To me EG beating Avatar still feels as inevitable as BP crossing 700 did for months. Maybe it will take a few months from here and not necessarily be completely organic, but I'm sure it happens one way or the other. 

And if Disney doesn't do anything to push it over if it needs that, then at the very least it's beating Avatar's first run WW gross, which is 2.749b for the record. 

It won't beat the inflation adjusted figure for Avatar as I first thought it was going to do, but fingers crossed that it beats the headline figure.

8 hours ago, Juby said:

Re-expansion can't add another $15M. The film will go digital this August and will be on Blu-ray / 4K UHD early September. Also:

No, this isn't correct, and is one of the reasons I am predicting EG will have better late legs than IW.  EG streaming will be exclusively on Disney+, which doens't even launch until November.  

2 minutes ago, andrewgr said:

No, this isn't correct, and is one of the reasons I am predicting EG will have better late legs than IW.  EG streaming will be exclusively on Disney+, which doens't even launch until November.  

They're not doing digital downloads via Google, Apple, Amazon etc?  Or they're just not doing other streaming like when it went to Netflix rather early?

If the first - wow.  AIW was by far their biggest digital download to the point it's BR initial sales were underwhelming.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

They're not doing digital downloads via Google, Apple, Amazon etc?  Or they're just not doing other streaming like when it went to Netflix rather early?

If the first - wow.  AIW was by far their biggest digital download to the point it's BR initial sales were underwhelming.

It’s on pre-order on Apple already.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I don’t think that was announced, but it wasn’t announced when they would be released either. Infinity War was released in digital in July 31, if I’m not mistaken. We just know that it will be in Disney Plus coming December.

1 minute ago, Deja23 said:

It’s on pre-order on Apple already.

That makes more sense.  It's an enormous revenue stream. 

Does it have a date?

As much as I'd like to have it as soon as possible post Labor Day would bode well for at least an IMAX or wide expansion.

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

That makes more sense.  It's an enormous revenue stream. 

Does it have a date?

As much as I'd like to have it as soon as possible post Labor Day would bode well for at least an IMAX or wide expansion.

Don’t think any has been announced yet. Probably end of July-August if it follows IW. 

Posted (edited)

Really sad the Marvel Studios films  don't have proper making-ofs on their blu-ray release ...

The Paramount Marvel studios had big ones, especially Iron Man 1 & 2.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Really sad the Marvel Studios films  don't have proper making-ofs on their blu-ray release ...

The Paramount Marvel studios had big ones, especially Iron Man 1 & 2.

And there's no excuse except cheapness - having to pay the people filming or editing it more when it hist disc - b/c they have the material.

They release bits and pieces when promoting the films and different outlets and countries get different special BTS footage and when they released the special box sets they had other previously unreleased stuff. 

So this happened a while ago, but I somehow just noticed that 60% of the DOM top 5 is MCU movies from the last year and a half. JFC

• Like 2

The Force Awakens was a huge friggin' movie just a few years ago, and Endgame is going to beat it by $700 million WW.  That's just astounding to me, especially after many predictors had stated that Marvel had peaked with Avengers in 2012.  The BO decline of Ultron seemed to at least raise the possibility that the cynics might be proved correct, but subsequent Marvel performance has been spectacular.

That opening week for Endgame won't be repeated for a long time.  The genuine desire to avoid spoilers created a worldwide frenzy that sold 200 million tickets in 2 weeks.  Yes, that wild opening meant the legs would prove to be weak, but as Neil Young (and the Kurgan in Highlander) said:  "It's better to burn out than to fade away."

• Like 2

More praise for Jeff Ford

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/avengers/avengers_endgame/avengers-endgame-sound-mixer-calls-the-crew-an-astonishing-bunch-praises-karen-gillan-a168624

John Pritchett is one of Hollywood’s most veteran and sought-after production sound mixers. In that position, he is the head of the sound department on-set, recording and mixing all the sounds as they occur.

He has received Academy Award and Cinema Audio Society nominations for both Road to Perdition (2002) and Memoirs of a Geisha (2005), as well as a BAFTA nomination for There Will be Blood.

“I just did these two Avengers movies,” Pritchett says, “and the editor on that movie was so good at doing all these kinds of things. He would make beautiful mixes, and show them to us, as, you know….just to let everybody know what he was doing, because he really liked going in there and doing that same stuff. But he loved the stuff I would give him because it was a mix that he could start with. And then if he wanted to tweak it, he could do that. He would add sound effects, he would add music, all kinds of stuff, even though it’s not the finished product."

"He’s great. He’s fantastic, in that, he really isn’t just cutting the movie, he’s telling the story. I mean, he’s actually putting it together... We did like seven weeks of reshoots on this thing because of so many things that he came up with that would make the movie better; that we needed. So we all came back and did all these reshoots, because of him. Yeah, he’s brilliant."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like I've been saying  all weekend, those claiming that The Avengers: Endgame's weekend estimate numbers were a clear sign that Avatar's worldwide record was "safe" were celebrating too early.

The actual numbers for both the domestic Memorial Weekend (4-day) and overseas (3-day) are in, and The Avengers: Endgame faced what is arguably it's toughest competition in Aladdin. While Aladdin is acting like an unexpected hit at the box office, The Avengers: Endgame managed to stay very close to what The Avengers: Infinity War did at the same period of time in the domestic front: while the 2018 film did $22,454,542 during it's 4-day Memorial Weekend, The Avengers: Endgame managed to gross $22.063.855, according with The-Numbers. A drop of around $300k from Infinity War, but still very much around what Infinity War did at same period.

What is impressive and surprising given the weekend estimates though is how much The Avengers: Endgame grossed in the 3-day overseas weekend: while The Avengers: Infinity War grossed $14.4m (OS-C) at the same period, the estimates during the weekend were of $15.3m for The Avengers: Endgame, only to be updated today with another estimate by Deadline that it was actually $16.3m during the foreign weekend. All these numbers were actually good, considering that China ended its run abruptly last Thursday, but I'm happy to report that all these numbers were in fact below actuals, since the 3-day overseas weekend were impressive $17,103,811. To give you all some perspective, the overseas estimates were in fact understimated by more than $4.1m.

With that all said, what I'm saying is that The Avengers: Endgame is still very much on path of beating Avatar's worldwide record, and the fact that it managed to stay considerably above Infinity War in the same period of time overseas, it leads me to think that will easily make around $50m more from the overseas market, considering that Infinity War last year made $56m more overseas OS-C from this last weekend forward.

What's more, as of today, The Avengers: Endgame is officially crossing the $100m threshold so what I'm actually saying is...

L1iLR3v.gif

...bring me Avatar.

Total Lifetime Grosses:

Domestic$803,395,591   29.9% (Weekend actuals - Updated until Monday, 05/27, per The-Numbers)

Foreign$1,883,456,050    70.1% (Weekend actuals - Updated until Sunday, 05/26, per Box Office Mojo)

Weekly Nikki Finke Countdown:

The Avengers: Endgame box office cume actuals up to this Monday (domestic) and Sunday (foreign) is at $2,686,851,641.

This means that up until yesterday and not accounting overseas Monday numbers, it needs $101.113.446 to top Avatar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Foreign$1,883,456,050    70.1% (Weekend actuals - Updated until Sunday, 05/26, per Box Office Mojo)

Actuall weekend overseas was $4 million bigger than est.? :apocalypse:

5 minutes ago, Juby said:

Actuall weekend overseas was $4 million bigger than est.? :apocalypse:

Yep :ohmygod:

• Like 1