luna

BO.com 100 Greatest Directors PRESENTATION

The rock is one of the great action adventure films made and Bay did it..

Posted Image

Seriously though, no. The Rock probably isn't even in my top 100 action films.

This list started out really well. It even had a few names that I didn't have, but  agree with their inclusion, even if it means that some of my choices (including some choices that I had rather high up) will not make the list. However, it's starting to get bad with the inclusion of Demme, Greengrass, and Baz Luhrmann (seriously?). I hope this list doesn't turn into mostly modern art house guys, instead of some of the great classic directors.

Donner is too low on the list and Reiner is really too low. That doesn't give me confidence.

I'd say there are about 20 directors on my list that I can understand if they don't make the top 100 (even if I disagree with it). However, I hope that the truly great directors get their due. Out of my list, I could accept (even if I don't agree with) the following not making the list:

Walt Disney

Tex Avery (I don't think people truly have an appreciation for classic animated shorts)

John Cassavetes

Joss Whedon

JJ Abrams

Buster Keaton

Charlie Chaplin

Robert Redford

Warren Beatty

Pete Docter

Jerry Lewis

Ben Stiller

John Favreau

Brett Ratner

Shane Black

Joel Schumacher

Joe Johnston

Adam McKay

Gore Verbinski

George Lucas (thought of more as a producer)

The rest of the directors on my top 100 all are all-time great directors and deserve to make the list.

Edited by Walt Disney

I know Disney directed many of his early shorts but I think of him mainly as a producer and studio head.

I think a lot of people do. That's why I will understand if he doesn't make the list. I think George Lucas will be viewed more as a producer, which is why I will understand if he doesn't make the list.

Posted Image

Frank Darabont (born Darabont Ferenc; January 28, 1959) is a Hungarian-American[1] film director, screenwriter, actor and producer who has been nominated for three Academy Awardsand a Golden Globe Award. He has directed the films The Shawshank RedemptionThe Green Mile, and The Mist, all based on stories by Stephen King. He also developed and executive produced the first season of the AMC's The Walking Dead. In 2013, he created the crime drama series Mob City.

• Like 6

Posted Image

Lewis Milestone (born Leib Milstein)[1] (September 30, 1895 – September 25, 1980) was a Russian-born American motion picture director. He is known for directing Two Arabian Knights(1927) and All Quiet on the Western Front (1930), both of which received Academy Awards for Best Director. He also directed The Front Page (1931 – nomination), The General Died at Dawn(1936), Of Mice and Men (1939), Ocean's 11 (1960), and Mutiny on the Bounty (1962).

• Like 2

personally, i don't like this guy. i'll try not to let it show.

Posted Image

David Llewelyn Wark "D. W." Griffith (January 22, 1875 – July 23, 1948) was an American film director, mostly remembered as the director of the 1915 film The Birth of a Nation and the subsequent film Intolerance (1916).[1] He is closely associated with his frequent leading lady, Lillian Gish.

Griffith began making short films in 1908, and released his first featureJudith of Bethulia, in 1913. His film The Birth of a Nation made pioneering use of advanced camera and narrative techniques, and its immense popularity set the stage for the dominance of the feature-length film in the United States. The film has been extremely controversial for its negative depiction of African-Americans, White Unionists, the Reconstruction, and its positive portrayal of slavery and the Ku Klux Klan. The film was widely criticized and subject to boycotts by the NAACP. Griffith responded to his critics with Intolerance, intended to show the history of prejudiced thought and behavior. The film was not a financial success but was praised by critics.

Several of Griffith's later films, including Broken Blossoms (1919), Way Down East (1920) and Orphans of the Storm (1921) were also successful, but his high production, promotional, androadshow costs often made his ventures commercial failures. By the time of his final feature, The Struggle (1931), he had made roughly 500 films.[1] For his pioneering techniques and early understanding of cinema, Griffith is considered among the most important figures in the history of the medium.

• Like 2

Posted Image

Lars von Trier (Danish: [ˈlɑːs fʌn ˈtʁiːˀɐ]; born Lars Trier; 30 April 1956)[2] is a Danish film director and screenwriter. He is closely associated with the Dogme 95 collective – an avant-gardefilmmaking movement – although his own films have taken a variety of approaches. His work has frequently divided critical opinion.[3]

Von Trier began making films at age eleven. Von Trier suffers periodically from depression, as well as various fears and phobias, including an intense fear of flying. As he quipped in an interview, "basically, I'm afraid of everything in life, except filmmaking."[4] His first publicly released film was the 1977 experimental short The Orchid Gardener and his first feature came seven years later with The Element of Crime (1984). Among many prizes, awards and nominations, he is the recipient of the Palme d'Or (for Dancer in the Dark), the Grand Prix, and the Prix du Jury at the Cannes Film Festival.

• Like 1

Posted Image

Lars von Trier (Danish: [ˈlɑːs fʌn ˈtʁiːˀɐ]; born Lars Trier; 30 April 1956)[2] is a Danish film director and screenwriter. He is closely associated with the Dogme 95 collective – an avant-gardefilmmaking movement – although his own films have taken a variety of approaches. His work has frequently divided critical opinion.[3]

Von Trier began making films at age eleven. Von Trier suffers periodically from depression, as well as various fears and phobias, including an intense fear of flying. As he quipped in an interview, "basically, I'm afraid of everything in life, except filmmaking."[4] His first publicly released film was the 1977 experimental short The Orchid Gardener and his first feature came seven years later with The Element of Crime (1984). Among many prizes, awards and nominations, he is the recipient of the Palme d'Or (for Dancer in the Dark), the Grand Prix, and the Prix du Jury at the Cannes Film Festival.

:puke:

• Like 1

Loved seeing Bertolucci and Linklater. Both were in my top 30 I think.

Actually preparing to watch most of Trier's filmography this month. (Nymphomaniac Part I is released here on Feb 13, Part II on March 6). Antichrist is amazing and Melancholia is pretty good (it didn't really rock my world), I'm looking forward to seeing Element of Crime, Europa, Breaking the Waves, The Idiots, Dancer in the Dark and Dogville, and maybe something on top of that if I have time. 

D.W. Griffith....one of the most influential directors of our time is in the 80's? How is that even possible? There is no way you can make a case for him being anything less than top 25. Everyone knows that this list is for the top 100 directors of all-time, right? 

I am glad Lewis Milestone made the list though. Very well deserved.

Edited by Walt Disney

D.W. Griffith....one of the most influential directors of our time is in the 80's? How is that even possible? There is no way you can make a case for him being anything less than top 25. Everyone knows that this list is for the top 100 directors of all-time, right? 

I am glad Lewis Milestone made the list though. Very well deserved.

You do realize this is not a film theory site.  This isn't film class.  How many people here honestly know anything about D.W. Griffith?  Most of us haven't seen anything he's done and furthermore, to have him on a list as one of the the greatest directors of all time, to me, seems silly.  Just because you are the first at something, doesn't mean you were the best.  Directing style and technique have come a long way in 100 years.  If you want to do another thread about the 25 most influential, then he'd probably make my list.  But imo, Kevin Smith knows more about directing than DW Griffith does.  Different time, different era.  First does not equate to the best.

• Like 1

Posted Image

Wesley Wales "WesAnderson (born May 1, 1969) is an American film director and screenwriter. His films are known for their distinctive visual and narrative style.[5]

He was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for The Royal Tenenbaums in 2001 and Moonrise Kingdom in 2012, and for the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature for Fantastic Mr. Fox in 2009.

• Like 7

You do realize this is not a film theory site.  This isn't film class.  How many people here honestly know anything about D.W. Griffith?  Most of us haven't seen anything he's done and furthermore, to have him on a list as one of the the greatest directors of all time, to me, seems silly.  Just because you are the first at something, doesn't mean you were the best.  Directing style and technique have come a long way in 100 years.  If you want to do another thread about the 25 most influential, then he'd probably make my list.  But imo, Kevin Smith knows more about directing than DW Griffith does.  Different time, different era.  First does not equate to the best.

Of course I do. I never took a film theory class. But, you can't compare Kevin Smith's low budget schlock to Birth of a Nation (I mean, you can, but you know what I mean). I mean it's DW Griffith. There was something sorta like directing before him and then there was directing after him. Best director implies the best...not the most recent.

If people don't know anything about DW Griffith, then that's embarrassing.