baumer

The LEGO Movie (2014)

102 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

One of the best movies of the year so far, and a contender for one of the bottom spots on my end of the year top ten. As I mentioned in the 22 Jump Street thread, Lord and Miller appear to be putting forth every ounce of their effort in each of their movies, and it pays off in great fashion here. The tongue-in-cheek, almost surreal humor would make this movie extremely enjoyable in its own right, but the real stroke of brilliance is in that third act. The twist is out of leftfield, but it lent more heft and resonance to the film than I think anyone was ever expecting so see in a movie about Legos.

A-

• Like 1

I agree with the positive reviews on here. While some of the humor didn't work for me as good as for most other people, it was still funny. And until the end, I thought: Yeah, this is pretty entertaining, but overrated. Then the ending came around, and I was floored at how good it was. And then I said: Okay, now it's a great movie. LEGO is still one of my Top 5 favorite movies this year. Just a wonderful animation flick with a lot of heart which is also a movie for kids and adults.

Grade: A-

Edited by miketheavenger
  • Like 1

I enjoyed this movie very much. Though I am not sure if the ending with the real people where it tries to give us a "message" was all that necessary. 

I didn't get much "message" - all it does is point out the conflict everyone runs into who's ever played with LEGO: To build something new, you have to dismantle your previous creations. In the movie, the conflict was split to two persons (would be difficult to show otherwise) but it's really an internal struggle - you've built, say, a giant castle using up all your bricks, and play some with it, but there comes the point when you want to do that spaceport you're thinking about - so, is it good-bye castle, or do you postpone your spaceport for a few more days or weeks?

• Like 1

Finally saw this.  Cute movie and visually interesting in terms of the LEGO building though not the LEGO leads for obvious reasons (and I'm not getting into the problems I had the female lead). Which is one of the reasons I didn't much connect with them; the voice acting and dialogue wasn't witty or interesting enough for them to overcome it.

I was more "moved" by Mr. Peabody & Sherman which I also recently saw (B-) though that didn't have nearly as tight or inventive a plot or animation .  Neither is in the same ballpark as Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

Biggest laughs: Batman (in particular his song and the Star Wars encounter), Superman dissing Green Lantern and The Bad Cop/Good Cop.

B/B-

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

I removed my A and dropped it down to low B/high C range. Not as good the 2nd or 3rd time. Once the theater high wears off, the flaws come out in a big way. Loved the ending the first time, but now I realize how stupid it is. I hated having the Legos controlled by live Will Ferrell and the fact that that was even there. I love Will Ferrell, but they couldve ended it normally without humans. The jokes are also pretty forced, and I felt like they tried too hard with them. Obviously half the jokes were for kids and half for adults, like Shrek, but they didnt flow as well. Shrek it was wisecrack after pop culture reference after fart joke and it was as smooth as butter. With Lego you could tell they shoehorned the joke in to be edgy or funny. The voice cast was great, animation was great, and the characters were all great, but the ending and jokes were poo. I feel like most of the love from the movie was just Lego novelty and I dont see the sequel doing as well. A good movie, but not the 2nd coming of animation, and it disappoints after initial view. O-vah-rait-ted.Oh yeah, and I like Chris Pratt, but Emmett is still extremely annoying and obnoxious. He needs to learn some chill for the sequel, and drink some friggin decaf.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2

So all you people on page 1 who saw this on opening night with A+, do yall really feel the same way after another view or nah? Thats the thing about the RTM thread, I always feel like most of the first few reviews are still written with theater highs. It really takes some time to sit back and process the movie. I like going back and seeing what people say later on down the road, because usually peoples views change, even if slightly. Thats just me.

• Like 3

So all you people on page 1 who saw this on opening night with A+, do yall really feel the same way after another view or nah?Thats the thing about the RTM thread, I always feel like most of the first few reviews are still written with theater highs. It really takes some time to sit back and process the movie. I like going back and seeing what people say later on down the road, because usually peoples views change, even if slightly. Thats just me.

Would easily give it an A- or more. Still one of the more clever animated films I've seen in years.

I never played with Legos. So I don't have any particular attachment to the toys specifically.

• Like 2

So all you people on page 1 who saw this on opening night with A+, do yall really feel the same way after another view or nah?Thats the thing about the RTM thread, I always feel like most of the first few reviews are still written with theater highs. It really takes some time to sit back and process the movie. I like going back and seeing what people say later on down the road, because usually peoples views change, even if slightly. Thats just me.

I feel pretty much the same about it. Watched it again on Blu Ray and I still have the Spaceship thing as my sig. (That never gets old)

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1