Vanilla

Phil Lord and Chris Miller Appreciation Thread!

Yes.

So far an awesome combo. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, 21 Jump Street, The Lego Movie, Brooklyn Nine Nine pilot all very good. Also with 22 Jump Street coming soon, they look like they are not going to be slowing down. However (if this is true, and I kinda hope it is) they are directing Alvin and the Chipmunks 4? That will be the real test with them IMO.

State what you think.

• Like 9

• Founder / Operator

Yes.

So far an awesome combo. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, 21 Jump Street, The Lego Movie, Brooklyn Nine Nine pilot all very good. Also with 22 Jump Street coming soon, they look like they are not going to be slowing down. However (if this is true, and I kinda hope it is) they are directing Alvin and the Chipmunks 4? That will be the real test with them IMO.

State what you think.

Also, How I Met Your Mother. :)

Totally with you here. Lord+Miller are hitting it big this year, and they completely deserve it.

• Like 5

I can't believe it took 4 post to even mention Clone High. I saw a few episodes on Youtube and just fell in love. I searched online and had to buy it from Canada but I went and bought the Season (Series). It was worth the extra cost. These guys have made 3 movies that should have suck but instead were all great. 

I watched "Clone High" years after it was cancelled, and my first thought was "I love this show, it is so funny", and then my second thought was "This show probably created controversy in India when it aired". And sure enough, apparently India contributed heavily to the show getting cancelled.

There are a few things you cannot satirize in India, Gandhi would probably be at the top of that list. His image is so ingrained that we cannot bear to see other depictions.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/phil-lord-and-chris-miller-of-the-lego-movie-look-back-on-clone-high-their-cult-classic-mtv-cartoon/

Eventually, you guys ran into trouble when some folks in India picked up on your take on Gandhi, and were not very happy with it. [The Guardiancovering the controversy very seriously: “Clone High introduces a character called G-Man, a fictitious clone of Gandhi, who wears dangly earrings, eats junk food and is the ultimate party animal.”]

Miller: We had finished the first season, and I was on vacation in Costa Rica, in the jungle, with no access to phones or Internet. And I finally make my way to a hotel that has a computer station and I see there’s hundreds of articles about our show. “Oh wow, this is exciting! [Pause.] Oh no, this can’t be good. There’s a … hunger strike … in India.” [The protesters] had never seen the show ’cause it hadn’t aired there, but they’d read on the Internet about it. They were very upet that he wore an earring and ate junk food and went to parties. So 150 politicians and Gandhi’s grandson sat in a hunger strike at the MTV India offices, right when the head of Viacom, Tom Freston, was visiting, and he was trapped in the building. And they basically threatened that they’d revoke MTV’s broadcasting license in India if they didn’t take the show off the air. And then the show went off the air. So I guess not any publicity is good publicity.

Was there any chance they would have just waited for it to blow over?

Miller: Everyone at MTV really liked the show, so when the edict came down, they said, “Hey, pitch us a version of the show’s second season that doesn’t have Gandhi.” So we had two different versions: One was just that he was gone and nobody talked about it, and the other was where we kept the same character, but they realized there had been a mistake, and he wasn’t actually the clone of Gandhi, he was the clone of Gary Coleman. And we just called him Gary and everything was exactly the same. And we pitched that, and it went up to the top at Viacom again and it got a big no.

One amazing thing about them is that they make good movies out of material that could have turn terrible pretty easily. Cloudy could have easily been a "only-for-kids" mediocre animation, 21 Jump Street was a "remake" of the ultra cheesy TV series and Lego could have been just a Lego ad/cash grab.

• Like 1