baumer

BO.com top 100 movie lines of all time: May the force be with you, number 1

Hahahah! Beatty's scene is totally epic, because just when you're starting to think "Is this guy for real?" he snaps out and goes "Am I getting through to you, Mr. Beale?"

Paddy Chayefsky, man. Fuck.

After I saw Network for the first time I few years ago, I practically wanted to write a book about it. There is so much there.

• Like 1

I'll get some more done later tonight.  If anyone else wants to take a crack at a few, please do so.  Tele, your favourite movie comes in at number 27, why don't you do that one.   :nothingtoadd:

I gotta admit I didn't really like Network when I saw it for the first (and so far only) time back in 2011. I enjoyed some of the satire (especially the ending) but in other spots I remember it felt pretty obvious (granted it definitely wasn't in 1976), I couldn't complain about the performances but none of them really blew me away. And I fucking hated all the shouting, it was effective at first but after a while it began to feel like all of the hysterics and big speeches were there just so everyone in the cast could get an easy Oscar nomination. And with at least half the characters being little more than one-note personalities taken to the extreme in service of the satire (Finch is the old man who's MAD AS HELL AND HE'S NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE, Dunaway is the cold heartless bitch who only cares about ratings, Duvall is the tyrannical boss always shouting at the top of his lungs, basically it felt like Holden's character was the only believable human being that was on screen for more than 10 minutes) it was pretty hard for me to actually care about any of it.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

27. Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. —Casablanca (1942)

Yeah, yeah, another CASABLANCA line.

Posted Image

CASABLANCA ends with this line, which somehow manages to be warm and cynical all at once. Rick Blaine, the troubled club owner who’s just given up the love of his life so that she can continue to be the wife of a resistance leader, is left stuck in Casablanca with the chief of police, Captain Renault, a suave scoundrel (played by the immortal Claude Rains) who’ll cheerfully sell his loyalty however it’ll best serve his own interests. He and Rick have been friends and occasionally enemies, and as they walk off together, this line is how Rick sums up what will come.

Ironically enough, this line wasn’t even in the script, and wasn’t even thought up until production was already wrapped. The line was written by Hal Wallis, the producer, and Bogart had to be brought in a month after production had ended so that he could dub it.

Even then, there were initial plans to have an additional scene, showing Rick and Renault and some Free French soldiers on a ship, in order to capitalize on the Allies invading Africa in 1942. But it was too hard to work out Claude Rains’ schedule, and then immortal studio exec David O. Selznick decided “it would be a terrible mistake” if they changed the ending they already had. And so one of the most iconic endings ever managed to survive.

Summing up the CASABLANCA experience overall, Julius Epstein (one of the co-screenwriters) later said the script contained "more corn than in the states of Kansas and Iowa combined. But when corn works, there's nothing better."
Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 7

Casablancas a great movie and all, but y'all should have limited this to 2-3 lines per movie

No, there were no rules for this list.  There were more than 500 lines submitted and voted on.  This is how they came out.

I think with 5 lines Casablanca is the most represented movie on the list, and it deserves it 'cause I can't think of another single movie with such an absurd amount of truly iconic lines. It's perfectly fine by me.

The Godfather films might be close.  I realize it's multiple films but still....