Shawn Robbins

Weekend numbers Feb 14-16

I hope no one is counting on JA to "revitalize" sci-fi. Not that it necessarily needs to be revitalized, There are still big hits like Inception and Gravity, there are still smaller hits like Prometheus and Super 8, and stuff like Iron Man, Avengers, and Hunger Games are all partly sci-fi too. Let alone Transformers, Star Trek, or Star Wars. I heard there might be sequels to Avatar, Terminator, Jurassic Park, and ID4 too.etcetcetc Quality-wise, I've loved movies like Oblivion, Looper, Moon, Dredd, and a million more. If anything, the problem with sci-fi these days is that there's just so darn much of it. It's hardly special anymore, and needs to look visually revolutionary (Avatar, Inception, Gravity) to really stand out. Speaking of sci-fi, we watched Europa Report last weekend. A decent movie, but I can see why it never played in more than a handful of theaters. By the way, for any sci-fi fans here, how many of you have seen The Last Push? That's some legit science fiction right there. Be warned, there's a distinct lack of explosions or special effects, and the movie isn't perfect, but it definitely gets to the heart of what sci-fi is all about.

If any movie is going to 'revitalise' Sci - Fi next year, id put my money on Interstellar rather than JA. Not that it needs revitalising anyway, the genre just needs better films.

Check out the Sci Fi movies of last year in order of highest domestic box office1. Gravity - 97% RT score2. STID - 87% RT score3. Pacific Rim - 71% RT score4. Elysium - 68% RT score5. Oblivion - 54% RT score6. After Earth - 11% RT scoreIt just shows the Sci Fi genre isn't dead, it just needs better movies, or is that a coincidence?

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 2

Check out the Sci Fi movies of last year in order of highest domestic box office1. Gravity - 97% RT score2. STID - 87% RT score3. Pacific Rim - 71% RT score4. Elysium - 68% RT score5. Oblivion - 54% RT score6. After Earth - 11% RT scoreIt just shows the Sci Fi genre isn't dead, it just needs better movies, or is that a coincidence?

You forgot Catching Fire.

If you were the Wachowski's how would you convince WB to give you a gazillion dollars for yet another attempt ?...'we are the guys behind Matrix' ought to be passé by now.

Edited by a2knet

In fact Hollywood is rather adventurous with scifi last year. ELYSIUM, ANOTHER EARTH, OBLIVION & AFTER EARTH are all attempts to give fresh twist on the traditional genre conventions with varying degrees of success. 

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 2

If you were the Wachowski's how would you convince WB to give you a gazillion dollars for yet another attempt ?...'we are the guys behind Matrix' ought to be passé by now.

JA looks to be the big wild card of summer IMO. As you said "From the makers of the Matrix" was not a selling point once Revolutions was done. "Speed Racer" and "Cloud Atlas" both had ambition but failed badly,

If JA gets good reviews, and the visuals are amazing on the big screen, it may be able to pull off a Gravity. If not, it will be another Speed Racer.

One thing is for sure, the movie does have a look all its own. The Wachowskis give us good looking movies if nothing else

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

I keep forgetting it's a Sci Fi.

When we will be able to send men in space, it is going to be awesome.

Imagine the possibilities.

Gravity is truely a visionary film about what awaits us just around the corner : space travel !

Bravo Cuaron for such ambitious filmmaking !

I really liked Oblivion . I wish it had a higher score

Yeah oblivion grew on me with repeat viewings. It was something new

I thought Oblivion had a great 1st half and then it came down crashing in the 2nd half. A lot of genuine innovation and creativity imo went to waste, especially with that ending.

Also, though After Earth was not that good and I wouldn't watch it again, I did not find it the absolute disaster everyone said it was. It was not Lady in the water or Happening bad imo.

Edited by a2knet

Transcendence and Interstellar look like great scifi movies.  Jupiter Ascending looks very risky, wouldn't be surprised at all if it bombs and/or is shit, but I appreciate big budget boldness in the age of really safe comic book movies.  It looks like it could either be something along the lines of The Fifth Element/something else or some dumb Twilight shit in space.

I really liked Oblivion . I wish it had a higher score

Oblivion was a love letter to the entire scifi genre and scifi fans, and it was fun.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 3

Frozen's run is spectacular.

This weekend: $8-8.5m
Feb 21-23: $6m 
Feb 28-Mar 2: $4m
Post Oscar bump: March 7-9: $6m

I still think Iron Man 3's $409m is safe but Frozen will come within shouting distance.

Edited by lilmac