CJohn

LEGO's Ninjago | Lego Movie Spin-off | September 22, 2017 | Trailer on page 3

4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Will there be enough decent movies for the animation category for the Oscars this year ?

Sweet lord ...

Lego Batman seems to be the most "likely" candidate at this point and that may get ignored due to it's super early release in the year. If reviews for Coco are stellar then that'll probably win. If they aren't, and Lego Batman doesn't get a nomination... then we're probably looking at the first year where a foreign animated film with a super limited release actually wins Best Animated Feature.

In my opinion, once again, Warner Bros erred in its strategy, just as it erred in the DC universe. The spin-offs should have been released after the sequel to 'The Lego Movie'.

I think maybe it was a requirement of LEGO, if it was, the ambition to sell more 'building bricks' undermined a promising franchise.

• Like 1

Hahaha, this godawful movie concept finally is judged by the stupid people who've already fallen for the same stupid trick TWICE!!

It should have died before being born, two movies ago - but I'll still be pleased with the following:

third fucking lego movie gets trashed with 20% Rotten

fourth fucking lego movie bombs like there's no tomorrow

fifth fucking lego movie NEVER GETS MADE!! :) Like they should have done with the first one - if the world didn't have enough people who are easily parted with their money - just to watch something as ugly as a piece of shit getting dry.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

When I mean saved, I mean zero family competition basically. Perfect scheduling really helps. If Boss Baby had been in the middle of summer it wouldn't have been nearly as big.

Beauty and the Beast was still doing massive numbers.

15 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Unless it is truly horrible, Coco is a sure fire  nominee for best animated picture, given what a weak year it has been for Animatation.

I think Lego Bats and Captain Underpants are looking at spots, just by the critical acclaim they got...after that, it will almost certainly be Coco, unless that movie's a disaster...and then 2 open spots for the taking...

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think Lego Bats and Captain Underpants are looking at spots, just by the critical acclaim they got...after that, it will almost certainly be Coco, unless that movie's a disaster...and then 2 open spots for the taking...

With a 6.9 avg CU wouldn't even have broken the top dozen animated films last year.  Your Name never should have had a preliminary US release last year. 

There have to be far better prospects than that (or Lego Batman) coming form Foreign and Independent Animation

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

With a 6.9 avg CU wouldn't even have broken the top dozen animated films last year.  Your Name never should have had a preliminary US release last year. 

There have to be far better prospects than that (or Lego Batman) coming form Foreign and Independent Animation

Yeah, but the animated category tends to be the one with movies average GA have heard of...it gets them to watch the show.  I can't imagine, if Coco's bad, that we'll get 5 foreign/independent films in that category.  GA usually knows at least 3-4 of the nominees...

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah, but the animated category tends to be the one with movies average GA have heard of...it gets them to watch the show.  I can't imagine, if Coco's bad, that we'll get 5 foreign/independent films in that category.  GA usually knows at least 3-4 of the nominees...

In 2015 the Animation Nominating Committee passed over LEGO for Song of The Sea, Princess Kaguya and Boxtrolls.

The Animation branch don't seem to care about popularity.  It so happens that major studios have been putting out high quality animation so big studio films do regularly get nominated.  The more popular films do tend to win because most of the academy don't take voting on Animated films seriously, most don't watch them even if they bother to vote.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

In 2015 the Animation Nominating Committee passed over LEGO for Song of The Sea, Princess Kaguya and Boxtrolls.

The Animation branch don't seem to care about popularity.  It so happens that major studios have been putting out high quality animation so big studio films do regularly get nominated.  The more popular films do tend to win because most of the academy don't take voting on Animated films seriously, most don't watch them even if they bother to vote.

But Boxtrolls did get a big US release...and they still had Big Hero 6 and How To Train Your Dragon 2...so 3 spots were for GA friendly fare...since DM3 and Cars 3 aren't good enough for nominations this year (and lets not even talk Smurfs 3 but not 3, Nut Job Never, and Emoji), some mainstream movies have to take their spots...I don't think Boss Baby or Leap are gonna get the spots over Lego or CU...so that leaves Coco, Ferdinand, the Star, My Little Pony, and Ninjago (did I forget any?) to have 3 of those movies take one or both of those 2 out...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But Boxtrolls did get a big US release...and they still had Big Hero 6 and How To Train Your Dragon 2...so 3 spots were for GA friendly fare...since DM3 and Cars 3 aren't good enough for nominations this year (and lets not even talk Smurfs 3 but not 3, Nut Job Never, and Emoji), some mainstream movies have to take their spots...I don't think Boss Baby or Leap are gonna get the spots over Lego or CU...so that leaves Coco, Ferdinand, the Star, My Little Pony, and Ninjago (did I forget any?) to have 3 of those movies take one or both of those 2 out...

Boxtrolls was nominated because of excellence in stop motion - not because it was a wide release that made $50m.  The committee loves stop motion.

I just read though that the voting pool for nominations has changed which might mean better news for mainstream studio films - sadly.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/03/oscars-2018-best-animated-feature-predictions-1201789024/

This year for the first time new Academy voting rules are enlarging the voter pool for animated features, which used to be voted on by as few as 200 members of the shorts and animation branch. Now 7000 Academy voters will be able to vote — as long as they opt in and see enough of the movies.

• Like 1

Wow, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3 and Captain Underpants above this one on RT? It's now at 48%.

That wasn't expected given how I thought critics support this franchise. I didn't like Batman Lego at all, but critics supported it strongly. So I thought that would extend here.

I'll still check it out though. 

2 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

Wow, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3 and Captain Underpants above this one on RT? It's now at 48%.

That wasn't expected given how I thought critics support this franchise. I didn't like Batman Lego at all, but critics supported it strongly. So I thought that would extend here.

I'll still check it out though. 

Boss Baby is ahead of it too.

• Like 1