CJohn

LEGO's Ninjago | Lego Movie Spin-off | September 22, 2017 | Trailer on page 3

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Lego Batman was Sunday but it had screened in some countries before the embargo due to weekend previews. 

Yup, they seem to be lifting the embargoes literally an hour before the first countries watch the movie. Wonder Woman embargo went up an hour before Taiwan and Hong Kong shows I think, similar thing with every other movie they released. Looking at it like that, The House embargo also went up an hour before the US previews which was the only market it released in. It's a really good standardization IMO, makes it so that no one can read anything into the embargo dates. 

The mission statement seems to be "Regardless of the quality etc., we will only allow reviews an hour before it plays to audiences"

• Like 3

WB held previews for Storks and LEGO Batman, so this doesn't really make sense. Before this year Sony didn't really hold previews for family films, but even they held previews for both of their animated films this year (though pretty much every Emoji showing was added the day of). I don't think the movie will be bad, but reception is probably going to be a bit muted.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not a single theater around me is holding Thursday night showings. That seems concerning.

To be fair, Hotel Transylvania 2, Peanuts and Kung Fu Panda 3 didn't have Thursday previews and they did fine. (To be honest, I don't really understand why some studios even have previews for some of their kids movies on school nights in the first place)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

To be fair, Hotel Transylvania 2, Peanuts and Kung Fu Panda 3 didn't have Thursday previews and they did fine. (To be honest, I don't really understand why some studios even have previews for some of their kids movies on school nights in the first place)

Because money is money :lol: Fox started doing previews for the kids films out of summer with Trolls last year, and as I said above, Sony did it this year too.

Considering the Lego franchise will have some fan following irrespective of the movie (be it Lego Movie or Lego Bat or Ninjago or Lego this Lego that), they should have had previews imo. Usually those who catch previews, being fans more or less, tend to spread better wom and are tolerant towards the movie.

5 minutes ago, Steele131 said:

:jeb!:

I don't know exactly what WB is thinking with the Wednesday embargo. Yeah, they just did it with It, but that had a fuckton of buzz with a social media embargo that lifted early. There is basically no buzz among older audiences for Ninjago. Maybe WB knows this won't appeal to older audiences and they're doing a Wednesday embargo to limit damage? Bad reviews won't affect this early on because of how barren the market is for family films, but older audiences have many other options to choose from.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 3

Apparently others haven't, though.

Since the first trailer came out for this it's struck me as the LEGO franchise going through the motions. The faux stop-motion style and aggressive self-awareness just don't seem as novel anymore. Maybe it's that they don't feel as good a fit for an Asian theme; was kind of hoping they would go for more of a parody of the samurai or wuxia genres as opposed to just transplanting the same manic action-comedy motifs of the LEGO/LEGO Batman movies.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

I don't think this movie is really intended to necessarily be a big hit here, tbh.  It makes sense that they'd make it though because Ninjago is apparently pretty much the only foothold LEGO has in several Asian countries despite their numerous attempts to break in with their toys over there.  They're probably really just hoping to schedule a release in Japan and China to boost sales and hope to force more expansion of their other products.

Ninjago actually has a pretty large fanbase even here in the US compared to LEGO's other lines.  Apparently it was partly the popularity of Ninjago line that led to Chima line going under (Ninjago fans HATED Chima).  The big worry I'm seeing is in the commentary of the LEGO fan communities.  Some fans are not happy that the movie is a reboot and not in continuity with the Ninjago cartoon (which is not a surprise, considering Ninjago is going into its 8th season).  Lego may also be hoping to get more kids hooked into Ninjago via the movie with the possibility that they will then watch the cartoon (which coincidentally has just gone up on Netflix recently).  They literally release a new bunch of sets with every season of the cartoon and are showing no sign of stopping anytime soon.  If they get even a small percentage of the kids who see this movie to get their parents to buy them new Ninjago sets every season, it'll be more than worth it for LEGO.

Not sure why WB would be behind it considering as far as I know they only get a percentage from sets of their own properties... but they may have some kind of deal in place where they get revenue from Movie sets or else they may have worked out something to get a higher percentage on the DC sets (perhaps they even got a higher cut of the LEGO Batman sets or something).

• Like 1