AdamKendall

Space Jam: A New Legacy | July 16 2021 | WB | Malcolm D. Lee to direct, Ryan Coogler producing. Lebron James to star

14 minutes ago, Ithil said:

No it doesn't.

Summer 2021 is insanely overcrowded since most of the summer 2020 films got bumped back there (and I'd be willing to bet more big names will join them by years end). It's going up against Uncharted, Top Gun, Purge, Jungle Cruise and The Minions, in just July alone. With Lebron James and the Looney Tunes, two things that don't exactly scream a huge box office draw.

Edited by SpiderByte

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

Summer 2021 is insanely overcrowded since half of the summer 2020 films got bumped back there (and I'd be willing to bet more big names will join them by years end). It's going up against Uncharted, Top Gun, Purge, Jungle Cruise and The Minions, in just July alone. With Lebron James and the Looney Tunes, two things that don't exactly scream a huge box office draw.

All of those movies sound like bombs outside of Minions, and I doubt there’s a lot of overlap between the Space Jam crowd and the Top Gun crowd

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

All of those movies sound like bombs outside of Minions, and I doubt there’s a lot of overlap between the Space Jam crowd and the Top Gun crowd

A sequel to a film meant to cash in on the nostalgia for the original from 20+ years ago? You sure?

And Looney Tunes Back in Action wasn't exactly a smash hit. There's a reason they haven't made a film since then.

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

A sequel to a film meant to cash in on the nostalgia for the original from 20+ years ago? You sure?

And Looney Tunes Back in Action wasn't exactly a smash hit. There's a reason they haven't made a film since then.

If this movie bombs, I very much doubt it’ll be because people were more interested in Uncharted lol

28 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

On one hand 90s/00s kids loved Space Jam and LeBron is still killing it.

On the other hand WAG is completely incompetent in marketing 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Summer 2021 is insanely overcrowded since most of the summer 2020 films got bumped back there (and I'd be willing to bet more big names will join them by years end). It's going up against Uncharted, Top Gun, Purge, Jungle Cruise and The Minions, in just July alone. With Lebron James and the Looney Tunes, two things that don't exactly scream a huge box office draw.

You do realize that not all of those movies will be staying there, right?

Not only are this year's movies still being pushed back but most of the ones scheduled for 2021 and 2022 haven't even finished/started production yet. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst

16 hours ago, TerwillikerInst said:

You do realize that not all of those movies will be staying there, right?

Not only are this year's movies still being pushed back but most of the ones scheduled for 2021 and 2022 haven't even finished/started production yet. 

Yeah, exactly. Space Jam is the one that I'm guessing is not going to be there.

49 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

BB4L had practically no marketing (at least compared to other Jan releases such as 1917 and Dolittle) and it did fine. 90s nostalgia is a pretty easy sell honestly. 

It’s not a matter of no marketing, WAG and WB as a whole is historically known for mishandling marketing for their family films. That said SJ2 will likely be one of their biggest family films. I don’t have much faith in it being a huge breakout especially in a competitive July. That said, if the film is great or at least very fun and WB/WAG doesn’t fuck up on the marketing, I can honestly see something crazy like $300M+ DOM. But for now I think Detective Pikachu numbers seem right ($55M/$140M)