AdamKendall

Space Jam: A New Legacy | July 16 2021 | WB | Malcolm D. Lee to direct, Ryan Coogler producing. Lebron James to star

5 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

That is really weak considering the budget, Max or no Max.

Maybe so, but there's been a big shift over the past couple of years over how movies are evaluated. It used to be that movies made all their money in theaters. If they were lucky, a movie that failed to earn back its money in theaters could make extra money on home video, but studios usually didn't care about that-- they considered a movie a lost cause once it failed in theaters, regardless of how well it did on video later. Take the case of Warner Bros.'s own The Iron Giant. It flopped in theaters, but it was a strong seller on home video. However, studios are usually only interested in theatrical ticket sales, so even though The Iron Giant was literally one of the best selling movies on home video of its day, it was declared a failure. 

But with the rise of studio-owned streaming services, studios have another option for movie releases that gives movies more wiggle room. And that's what we're seeing now. A lot of big movies are getting hybrid theatrical and streaming releases, so even if they earn what would be a disappointing amount of money from the theatrical component, they'll still have a chance to do well on streaming at the same time. Still sticking with Warner Bros. for the time being, that was what happened with Tom and Jerry earlier this year. It earned $124 million on an $80 million budget, which would be a flop in most circumstances. But since it was released simultaneously on HBO Max, and was very successful there, Warner Bros. considers it a success. 

In other words, studio-owned streaming services have forced us to re-consider what counts as a "successful" movie. 

Edited by El Squibbonator

9 hours ago, John Marston said:

can't see this doing well in theaters. This is the perfect movie to stream instead of going out of your way to see it

But, it's also the perfect movie for a bunch of teens/college students/friends or a basketball/Looney Tunes loving family to hang out together with a bucket of popcorn and a crowd...with the presale fill ups at the MTCs due to lowish screen count, you know you're getting an active crowd this weekend, no matter what showing...and a fun, and even lame, comedy is best seen with a whole crowd of fun:)...

And don't discount the PERFECT timing of this movie - NBA finals are now at their peak interest...no real kid movie has opened with any kinda fanfare this month (Boss Baby 2 was too damn complicated in the trailer and Universal advertised its freeness way too much)...

Plus, it has a huge star draw and the right stars for its audience draw in the movie...and it's a simple trailer concept - play and win a bball game...

While it's not a draw for you, movies don't need to draw everyone to have good runs...they just have to overdraw from some, instead:)...this will not draw from the "Oscar movie" audience or the non-grandparent group 50+ (good thing is the latter group isn't seeing movies anyway)...but I can see some over-indexing family, under 25, African American, and Asian American stats coming this weekend...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

So between this and Ready Player One, is there a name for this new genre of "Hey look at this thing we own!" Kind of movies where Having IP is literally the driving plot.

Because if you thought Wreck It Ralphs "Did you know Disney is the best" shit was bad, this is a thousand times more annoying.

Edited by SpiderByte

20 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

So between this and Ready Player One, is there a name for this new genre of "Hey look at this thing we own!" Kind of movies where Having IP is literally the driving plot.

Because if you thought Wreck It Ralphs "Did you know Disney is the best" shit was bad, this is a thousand times more annoying.

RPO doesnt deserve to be mentioned here. What Spielberg was trying to do there wasn't to make some IP showcase. It's not a commercial like Space Jam 2 or a commercial forced into a normal movie like Wreck it Ralph 2. 

1 hour ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

RPO absolutely deserves to put in this category

The key difference is that RPO wasn’t made so a particular studio could flex how many IP’s it owns. It was made by some guy who happens to be a big pop culture fanboy. 

I thought this was terrible. All the actors were awful, the movie even looks like a commercial, and every reference here made my brain hurt. I got my 2nd vaccine dose yesterday so I already felt like shit due to the side-effects and I literally felt like I was dying multiple points throughout this film. The worst film I've seen since Dolittle (although, still not as bad as that abomination). 

Also impressive how Cheadle gave both one of his most nuanced perfornances and his most embarassing in less than a month.

• Haha 1