AdamKendall

Space Jam: A New Legacy | July 16 2021 | WB | Malcolm D. Lee to direct, Ryan Coogler producing. Lebron James to star

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Wreck it Ralph 2 actually takes some subtle shots at Disney.

The subtext doesn't really praise Disney that much. It acknowledges Disney as a corporate machine where the IP 's are nothing more than employees.

Space Jam 2 is self-aware in the exact same way lol (the people working at WB are shown to be inept morons, which is probably true, and the evil algorithm was created by the studio). They're both still pretty vapid commercials.

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

It was made by some guy who happens to be a big pop culture fanboy. 

The book, yes. The movie not really. It was made by someone who might've had the biggest influence on modern-day pop-culture (it's between him and Lucas) and is trying to comment on that (Halliday is literally Spielberg).

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

The book, yes. The movie not really. It was made by someone who might've had the biggest influence on modern-day pop-culture (it's between him and Lucas) and is trying to comment on that (Halliday is literally Spielberg).

Yeah, I was referring specifically to the book, but my point is that since the film is based on the book, it can’t really be grouped in with something like A New Legacy, which really is just a cynical excuse for WB to show off their IP’s. 

34 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Qfup3Zi.png

If the new Space Jam can't beat the original Space Jam opening weekend, 

it will officially confirm that the Michael Jeffrey Jordan is and always has been the undisputed Greatest Of All Time. 

But were either in a movie as good as Airplane! ? #CheckMate

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Wreck it Ralph 2 actually takes some subtle shots at Disney.

The subtext doesn't really praise Disney that much. It acknowledges Disney as a corporate machine where the IP 's are nothing more than employees.

Another important distinction: It's mostly backdrop. Space Jam 2 is much more shameless about it.

At least Sonics incredibly blatant and crammed in product placement was because they had to pay for the redesign.

Edited by SpiderByte

Just saw it. 

If you like the first film you’ll like this. It’s fine. Damn near identical to the first apart from the son/dad dynamic. And yes - the porky pig rap scene has a set up here that makes the joke work.

It’s probably one of the bigger negative critical over-reactions I’ve seen in some time. I doubt anyone willingly choosing to watch a Space Jam sequel would come out of this upset.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, AJG said:

Just saw it. 

If you like the first film you’ll like this. It’s fine. Damn near identical to the first apart from the son/dad dynamic. And yes - the porky pig rap scene has a set up here that makes the joke work.

It’s probably one of the bigger negative critical over-reactions I’ve seen in some time. I doubt anyone willingly choosing to watch a Space Jam sequel would come out of this upset.

Just to expand on this a little.

There is absolutely no way any critic can crow on about this being an "IP fest" that's a  signal of the "death of cinemaTM" and at the same time give Ready Player One and Lego Movie a pass.

Most of the IP stuff here boils down to characters jumping up and down in the background. The use of IP is far more overzealous in RPO and Lego and is downright integral to those movies, it's highlighted when you see character that are shared between the three films like Iron Giant, Gremlins, Batman, and the HP stuff. 

I see how some critics are trying to over correct from their Ready Player One hype (just because it's a Spielberg film doesn't mean it's somehow deeper than just an incel upset that there's ads in his video game) but some of these Space Jame reviews are just silly. 

The early "non critic" reaction seems to be that #2 is better than #1...A- Cinemascore seems to bear that out.  Now, I can't wait til Tuesday to see if I agree (I never mind the "IP Fest" stuff if it's done well - I love Lego Movie and Lego Batman - so that won't be any kinda dealbreaker in my rating:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Just to expand on this a little.

There is absolutely no way any critic can crow on about this being an "IP fest" that's a  signal of the "death of cinemaTM" and at the same time give Ready Player One and Lego Movie a pass.

Most of the IP stuff here boils down to characters jumping up and down in the background. The use of IP is far more overzealous in RPO and Lego and is downright integral to those movies, it's highlighted when you see character that are shared between the three films like Iron Giant, Gremlins, Batman, and the HP stuff. 

I see how some critics are trying to over correct from their Ready Player One hype (just because it's a Spielberg film doesn't mean it's somehow deeper than just an incel upset that there's ads in his video game) but some of these Space Jame reviews are just silly. 

Not sure about RPO, considering how much online moaning was going on before it opened for several of the same reasons as this is dealing with. (It’s not like it had fantastic reviews ultimately.)

The nitpicking I do roll my eyes at is “why you referencing stuff kids won’t get?” Because that’s been an undercurrent in cartoons in general since I suppose the beginning? 

• Like 4

Saw it, wasn’t better than the first but it was still solid. Felt the soundtrack - which was a monster part of the first- was lacking in this movie. James’s acting was fine- loved that he poked fun at himself. Felt the plot was inferior the villains were inferior (monstars > goon squad) but considering the digital era it made sense and that’s all that matters.  Kids of this era will love it just like kids from the past era loved the first one. 

People wondering why there’s “hate.” Remember, the first wasn’t well received either critically so who cares. I wonder if people were saying people “hated” Jordan because of the reviews.

For many Lebron James is the MJ (GOAT) of the gen Z and younger millennial generation, but while being a better human being, better role model (and sorry if this is going to hurt his hardcore fans), he simply is NOT QUITE what Jordan was in the pop culture zenith of popularity in the US and Worldwide. Why that is? That’s up for debate. I do think there’s a bit of that for people going on in this movie and it’s a waste of time. Lebron is Lebron. MJ is MJ. Space Jam 3 (if there is one) should continue to star the GOAT tier ball player of the generation (so wait another 15-20 years for the next lol). 

14 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Qfup3Zi.png

If the new Space Jam can't beat the original Space Jam opening weekend, 

it will officially confirm that the Michael Jeffrey Jordan is and always has been the undisputed Greatest Of All Time. 

Lol, I think it blows past that, especially if it wasn’t covid. I think it would be better to compare adjusted. 

Edited by jaybox

This movie was fun! I really liked the DC Comic section. I also liked the father/son dynamic. Most importantly my son enjoyed it, so that always makes me smile. Watched it on HBOMAX, since children my son’s age cannot be vaccinated at this point. Wish we could have seen it in a theater.