grim22

Weekend#s: Neeson wins. Non Stop 30M | Son of God 26.5M | Lego 21M | Frozen crosses 1B WW

What is the appeal of Son of God? Even if you're religious it looks so aggressively conventional - for a genre that's already steeped in convention - why would you bother making the trip to the theater?

Not to mention it's just the TV miniseries from last year edited down in to a movie. But remember these people literally see themselves as sheep, they think it's their faithful duty to support it. (So Score 1 for the studio.)

Not to mention it's just the TV miniseries from last year edited down in to a movie.

That's the biggest head scratcher for me. It was already on TV, and for free (more or less). I don't think I'd go see a chopped up version of Game of Thrones in theaters.

• Founder / Operator

Surveys toward the end of the week, from sites like Fandango, actually revealed that only about half of ticket-buyers had even seen The Bible. As popular as it was, in hindsight now, it had room to grow its audience with what is essentially the most popular and widely believed story in history.

Plus, people liked The Bible. There's an element of buzz to it.

• Like 3

That's the biggest head scratcher for me. It was already on TV, and for free (more or less). I don't think I'd go see a chopped up version of Game of Thrones in theaters.

I am willing to bet over half of the people going to see it probably weren't aware it was cut out from the Bible when they went to go see it, they were just Christians who saw a movie about Jesus and decided to go.

Plus, either way, for some Christians they feel the need to go and support anything that has to do with their religion, whether it's quality or a scam.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator

I am willing to bet over half of the people going to see it probably weren't aware it was cut out from the Bible when they went to go see it, they were just Christians who saw a movie about Jesus and decided to go.

Plus, either way, for some Christians they feel the need to go and support anything that has to do with their religion, whether it's quality or a scam.

To be fair, the same phenomenon occurs with fanboy franchises, heh.

• Like 12

To be fair, the same phenomenon occurs with fanboy franchises, heh.

True, but the Christian audience is a much bigger one when you tap into it and you can pretty much make a profit by just getting that audience to go, you don't really need to expand much.

Fanboy movies need to expand out to other audiences in order to make a good profit. (Countless examples last year)

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

True, but the Christian audience is a much bigger one when you tap into it and you can pretty much make a profit by just getting that audience to go, you don't really need to expand much.

Fanboy movies need to expand out to other audiences in order to make a good profit. (Countless examples last year)

Fanboy movies also tend to have much bigger budgets, though.

• Like 3

• Founder / Operator

I generally agree, but that's also because Christian movies aren't as expensive to make.

I just don't think it's fair to classify viewers of SOG as sheep to any greater extent than fans that go see dozens of movies every year even though most of them aren't anything revolutionary. This just represents the divide between the online audience and real world moviegoers.

• Like 7

I generally agree, but that's also because Christian movies aren't as expensive to make.

I just don't think it's fair to classify viewers of SOG as sheep to any greater extent than fans that go see dozens of movies every year even though most of them aren't anything revolutionary. This just represents the divide between the online audience and real world moviegoers.

Well again, fanboy films aren't simply previous (highly rated)TV broadcasts edited down in to a film. You cut the first season of that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series down in to a movie and it will tank spectacularly. That $9.4 million OD for SOG would turn in to a $9.4 million total, if that.

Honestly, the majority of Earth's population are sheep.  I think the Bible says people are sheep in that it's not telling them to act like sheep, but that most people literally are sheep and just follow the crowd.

• Like 3