14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Young Adult

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I really liked this movie. It made think about Mavis a lot. Charlize did a fantastic job. She was a narcissistic, selfish and unlikeable person having been one of the most popular persons in her youth. Nothing changed about her. She thought she could just waltz in like her shit didn't stink. She was an alcoholic hot mess. Yet when she faced the public, she did her hair, put on her make up and her hot dress and to the world she was hot shit. I loved Oswalt as the guy who saw the facade of Mavis everyday and got to see the real Mavis in her quest to win Buddy back. He was real with her and tried to set her straight at every turn. Buddy was playing the clueless husband. But was he really as clueless as he pretended to be? Hmmm. And then there was Beth, Buddy's wife who showed Mavis kindness. This story was intriguing to me. To be continued...

Charlize Theron is the movie. Sure, there's strong work from her fellow castmates - Patton Oswalt in particular in a role where he shows surprising dramatic chops - but it's Theron's fully committed performance that ultimately sells the whole movie. On the surface, Mavis is a thoroughly unlikable character, the kind of bitch whose comeuppance we're accustomed to rooting for on or off the screen. But Theron imbues the character with such a dose of humanity and understanding for the very real pain that Mavis has felt (and that seems to guide her self-destructive path) that we're brought to a point of pitying her rather than hating her. It's not quite as outstanding as her Oscar-winning work in Monster, but it's still a great performance that has stuck with me since I saw the film a month ago, and will probably continue to stick with me for quite some time after that. The film isn't a masterpiece, but backed by a performance as terrific as Theron's, it is one of the most overlooked releases of 2011, and worth seeking out now that it is more widely available on DVD.

B+

it was kinda sad, and not the kind of sad where you go aww with a couple of tears , no this was sad yikes pathethic...i gotta say matt and mavis scenes where the best part of the movie probably because she wasnt trying to impress him or be someone else some character du jour as she so obviously was whenever around buddy!plus buddy sure seems to have dodge a bullet ,and settle with the right kind of woman for him! some people just aren't cut out for the homey house +kids+dogs and smalltown life!the whole movie i kept wondering why the hell was she bothering with the town and this guy when clearly she was living this fictional view of both as oppose to dealing with what was going on in her professional life and personal life picking up guys with whom she made no connection....anyway gave it a B

Charlize Theron plays a ---- in Young Adult. I'm sorry, but there's just no other words to use for this shallow, wretched human being. 

Theron does a terrific job (she was robbed an Oscar) playing her, and Patton Oswalt is good too in a supporting role. The script is well written, making this a good character piece thats funny, tragic and immensely watchable.

4/5

Reitman's best. Tone-wise, it's like a darkly comic, sharp and cynical character study straight out of the 70s; ironically, while it would have probably been a small hit and a future cult classic back then, it basically got rejected today. (See also: Killing Them Softly). Mature writing and terrific acting from everybody. One of the most underseen and underappreciated movies in recent years.

• Like 1