Impact

Best Actor 2014 predictions!

You can just hand the oscar to Keaton this year.  To me, he is as much of a favourite as Heath was for TDK.

Well, Heath died so that's not the best comparison. The thing is that these performances don't play in a vacuum. Keaton will be competing against four other men and one of them may be better than him.

• Like 1

Then there is Redmayne. Academy isn't very kind to young male actors but there are exceptions. Here is a write-up from earlier today.

In The Theory of Everything, directed by Oscar winning filmmaker James Marsh (Man on Wire), Redmayne delivers arguably the most meticulously crafted performance of the year. He fully embodies acclaimed physicist Stephen Hawking, from his days as a lovesick Cambridge student courting future wife Jane Wilde (Felicity Jones) to his neurodegeneration due to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) to achieving science immortality with the publication of his tome, A Brief History of Time. Redmayne captures Hawking’s physical deterioration vividly, mirroring his slurred speech and facial tics and never drifting into caricature.

“It looks like he’s not moving, but he is,” says Redmayne. “So you’re doing these long takes where you’re looking still, but what you’re doing is your breathing patterns are changing, as are your blinking patterns. What was interesting, for me, was trying to isolate those muscles because he exploits everything he can, and as a consequence, for someone that can move so little, he has perhaps the most expressive and charismatic face I’ve ever seen.”

Redmayne’s career-best performance has earned critical raves ever since the movie premiered at the Toronto Film Festival, with the Oscar prediction site Gold Derby recently running the headline, “Is Eddie Redmayne unbeatable for Best Actor?”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/11/03/eddie-redmayne-s-time-has-come-on-his-heartrending-turn-as-stephen-hawking-and-benedict-bromance.html

• Like 1

^maybe not better, but one of them may have harvey weinstein leading their campaign. i think it's a toss up between them, like what Jake said.

Have you seen Birdman yet? Honestly, I don't think even with Weinstein pushing Cucumber is going to get win this year. And, I am pretty sure it is nowhere near a tossup. Baumer is right, Keaton's performance is way up there. He's gonna win.

• Like 2

the nominees will be

1. michael keaton

2. jack o connell

3. bradley cooper

4. david oyewolo

5. benedict cumberbatch

3 of the 5 will be war flicks, right in the oscars voters wheelhouse. 4/5 are period flicks taking place during a particular 'event' eg a war or a civil rights movement. perfect for academy voters. 1/5 is an art house indie flick in 'birdman'.

most of the nominees will be from unseen films(unbroken,selma,american sniper) so i am taking a hunch, so we have to wait for these to be released.

Edited by Halba
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, Cooper is also getting mega praise out of AFI Fest, too, though not quite as much as Oyewelo. I'd say that Oyewelo, Keaton, and Cumberbatch are locks, with Redmayne and Cooper maybe the favorites for the last two at this point. Carrel, Turner, Gyllenhaal, and O'Connell may end up on the outside looking in.

Cooper's getting good reviews, but the movie itself is getting mixed word. usually when it's a close in an acting category the academy just picks the movie they like more (this explains Bale getting in over Hanks last year. It's clear overall they liked hustle a bit more) so that's why I think Carell or Spall are more likely than cooper.