Impact

Best Director-2014 Predictions!

Nolan has never been nominated for best director. I doubt interstellar will be his first.

Neither has Wes Anderson.

Nolan also has two screenplay nods (Memento and Inception), just like Anderson. 

The later release date gives Interstellar an edge over Grand Budapest Hotel at the moment. 

I was thinking of P.T Anderson.

Ohh, well Inherent Vice hasn't really gotten any buzz. Plus, Gone Girl's probably going to steal its hard-R crime thriller thunder. 

Birdman 

Unbroken

The Imitation Game

Gone Girl

Interstellar

Boyhood

Into the Woods

Whiplash

The Theory of Everything/American Sniper/Inherent Vice/Foxcatcher/Selma (last slot seems pretty fluid for BP) 

Seems like the order for likelihood of a BP win at this moment. Could easily change.

I just don't see Inherent Vice making any noise when there's plenty of other directors making a run for the top prize (Linklater, Fincher, Inarrtu, Jolie, Eastwood, Nolan, etc). Interstellar's also going to be the token critically acclaimed blockbuster/"sweep all the technical categories" film (like Gravity, Life of Pi, Hugo, Inception, Avatar, etc) 

• Like 1

Ohh, well Inherent Vice hasn't really gotten any buzz. Plus, Gone Girl's probably going to steal its hard-R crime thriller thunder. 

Birdman 

Unbroken

The Imitation Game

Gone Girl

Interstellar

Boyhood

Into the Woods

Whiplash

The Theory of Everything/American Sniper/Inherent Vice/Foxcatcher/Selma (last slot seems pretty fluid for BP) 

Seems like the order for likelihood of a BP win at this moment. Could easily change.

I just don't see Inherent Vice making any noise when there's plenty of other directors making a run for the top prize (Linklater, Fincher, Inarrtu, Jolie, Eastwood, Nolan, etc). Interstellar's also going to be the token critically acclaimed blockbuster/"sweep all the technical categories" film (like Gravity, Life of Pi, Hugo, Inception, Avatar, etc) 

Interstellar has not be screened all that much. So we don't know if going to be critically acclaimed. Hasn't there only been one screening in Texas and now there is one in California for tonight. 

• Like 1

This category I feel that regardless of if it wins BP is going to Boyhood. The other two uber-ambitious movies are either divisive/too similar to Gravity (Interstellar) or the ambitiousness lies with the cinematography (Birdman). Linklater is the obvious person behind Boyhood and he's overdue for an Oscar anyway.

• Like 1

God how I'd love to see Anderson sneak in here (Wes not PT). I know it won't happen, but if it did I would seriously consider absolving the Academy of all past transgressions. He really deserves his spot in the five here out of all the big contenders I've seen (haven't seen Imitation or Selma yet).

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1