JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

from where did you get this data, is it updated since that?

A lot of the info was sourced from a site that no longer exists (moviemarshal). However more recent releases can be calculated using info from screen Australia.  (Ave ticket price). The older has been calculated over the rereleases - at least site I lifted part of this from made sense in that way. 

For reference I have endgame at around 5.8m admissions (estimated - $ / ticket AVE) which is good enough for 9th.

31 minutes ago, JJ-8 said:

A lot of the info was sourced from a site that no longer exists (moviemarshal). However more recent releases can be calculated using info from screen Australia.  (Ave ticket price). The older has been calculated over the rereleases - at least site I lifted part of this from made sense in that way. 

For reference I have endgame at around 5.8m admissions (estimated - $ / ticket AVE) which is good enough for 9th.

Endgame admission I am told is around 5.3mn, the numbers for Avatar looked like actuals, so I thought maybe some site is updating it. Checked screen Australia found nothing.

5 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Endgame admission I am told is around 5.3mn, the numbers for Avatar looked like actuals, so I thought maybe some site is updating it. Checked screen Australia found nothing.

I got the 5.8 by dividing the total 84m by the average ticket price (14.5) on the screen Aus website. I suspect the average may be higher for the big blockbusters where people are willing to pay more premium to see a film. 

Update on Reopening cinemas in Australia.  

Source :- Inside Film - https://www.if.com.au/kriv-stenders-brock-over-the-top-takes-the-pvod-route-as-more-cinemas-re-open/

I've noted that the expectation is currentlky the first major release is Mulan here in Australia. so most will be playing re-runs of older films rn.

Majors

Capital cities ~ either 25th June or 2nd July

(Per comments by Hoyts CEO)

Reading Cinemas 

• Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia -  Opened last thursday
  • Queensland - this thursday (today here)
  • Victoria - 22nd June
  • NSW - to be confirmed

(I just checked and indeed, Reading has reopened in QLD - at least newmarket has - pretty much showing the films that were in play when cinemas closed ~ there does appear to be less sessions available than normal too.  the latest session is 7.15pm (there no 2 sessions starting near each other)

Village Cinemas

• Tasmania - already open
  • Progressing open rest of country from 22nd June to 2nd July

Independants 

Melbourne - Classic, Lido, Cameo, Wallis - reopen 22nd June

The Ritz (Sydney) - 1st July

Wallis Cinemas - NExt Week ?

By the looks, most locations outside of Victoria are reopening by the 2nd July. 

not a lot of info for when village cinemas open there. (Village are already open in locations outside of Vic)

edit - reading cinemas are open everywhere. Hoyts not open anywhere yet. Very hit and miss

It looks like Event are still holding off opening the theatres that don’t have allocated seating. Shellharbour is opening but Wollongong with no allocated seating is still closed. 

They must be adding seat allocation. 

12 minutes ago, JJ-8 said:

By the looks, most locations outside of Victoria are reopening by the 2nd July. 

not a lot of info for when village cinemas open there. (Village are already open in locations outside of Vic)

Maybe some answers shortly. 

Update 

5 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

It looks like Event are still holding off opening the theatres that don’t have allocated seating. Shellharbour is opening but Wollongong with no allocated seating is still closed. 

They must be adding seat allocation. 

I think you are right.  Same goes for Strathpine.

Looking @ Event's Coming soon list, i think either the location distributors haven't bothered to advise (some changes only just happened i guess) :thinking: or we are getting the films earlier that the US :excited:

Current list of Coming Soon Films (according to Event QLD)

I've bolded the films which i know have moved the US Release Date.

02 July The Personal History of David Copperfield

02 July Love Sarah

09 July Waves

09 July Escape From Pretoria

12 July Never Too Late

16 July The Broken Hearts Gallery

16 July The King of Staten Island

16 July Unhinged

23 July Babyteeth

23 July Mulan

23 July The Burnt Orange Heresy

30 July Tenet

30 July The High Note

06 August Empty Man

13 August Bill and Ted Face the Music

13 August Wonder Woman 1984

<that will do for now>

7 minutes ago, JJ-8 said:

Looking @ Event's Coming soon list, i think either the location distributors haven't bothered to advise (some changes only just happened i guess) :thinking: or we are getting the films earlier that the US :excited:

Current list of Coming Soon Films (according to Event QLD)

I've bolded the films which i know have moved the US Release Date.

02 July The Personal History of David Copperfield

02 July Love Sarah

09 July Waves

09 July Escape From Pretoria

12 July Never Too Late

16 July The Broken Hearts Gallery

16 July The King of Staten Island

16 July Unhinged

23 July Babyteeth

23 July Mulan

23 July The Burnt Orange Heresy

30 July Tenet

30 July The High Note

06 August Empty Man

13 August Bill and Ted Face the Music

13 August Wonder Woman 1984

On the NZ event cinema website Mulan is still 23rd of July but Tenet has a date of 13th of August and Bill and Ted a date of 20th of August i this two have moved to the US dates. I imagine Mulan will change very soon, maybe tomorrow as it will be a weekday.

Just now, Jamiem said:

On the NZ event cinema website Mulan is still 23rd of July but Tenet has a date of 13th of August and Bill and Ted a date of 20th of August i this two have moved to the US dates. I imagine Mulan will change very soon, maybe tomorrow as it will be a weekday.

Yeah would think so... but you move all those out.. what does that do the release calendar - cinemas in NZ and AUS can't survive without the bigger releases long term.  :raining:

10 minutes ago, JJ-8 said:

Yeah would think so... but you move all those out.. what does that do the release calendar - cinemas in NZ and AUS can't survive without the bigger releases long term.  :raining:

I agree, but also don’t see Mulan and Tenet having a staggered release. It’s a tricky situation for Cinemas around the world with how global the Box Office has become. 

1 hour ago, Jamiem said:

I agree, but also don’t see Mulan and Tenet having a staggered release. It’s a tricky situation for Cinemas around the world with how global the Box Office has become. 

It's a tough one for sure... but realistically cinemas in QLD are reopening with David Copperfield and Sonic as their headline releases (ie. on the biggest screens and most screens). and there isn't going to much additional releases until 31 July now (assuming unhinged moves in AUS in line with the US change) - going to be a tough sell when u can buy sonic for $21 at the moment on blueray - especially if that's gotta sell for the next 4 weeks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JJ-8 said:

It's a tough one for sure... but realistically cinemas in QLD are reopening with David Copperfield and Sonic as their headline releases (ie. on the biggest screens and most screens). and there isn't going to much additional releases until 31 July now (assuming unhinged moves in AUS in line with the US change) - going to be a tough sell when u can buy sonic for $21 at the moment on blueray - especially if that's gotta sell for the next 4 weeks.

Trolls World Tour and The King of Staten Island are coming out as well, although I don’t think either of those will pull in huge numbers. You’re right it’s going to be a hard sell until international blockbusters or huge local titles start coming out. 

• Like 1

Between 1 state in shutdown, lack of new product, half price tickets I can't a see big weekend incoming. (Doubting we will get near the limit of sales at the moment.)