JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Only a 4m weekend. That's way poor. Can that guarantee a 20m total?

If it was a normal holidays I would say yes, however with 6 mainstream films coming out on boxing day, plus Sherlock not long afterwards, I don't see it having the normal legs. But it should still play well and WOM is pretty great so nothing is out of the question yet. My site may just be really down for it :)

If it was a normal holidays I would say yes, however with 6 mainstream films coming out on boxing day, plus Sherlock not long afterwards, I don't see it having the normal legs. But it should still play well and WOM is pretty great so nothing is out of the question yet. My site may just be really down for it :)

Let's hope so. Thanks. :)

just reposting from this weeks US domestic friday thread..... (some good info i tracked down tonight :) )

while in the US i would agree 3D isn't as dominant, i think the 3D landscape is very different. in saying all that i'm thinking admissions between 90m and 92m is where we will be at the end of the year (92m was what we got to last year which is very close to matching the record from back in 2001 & 2002 where we reached 92.5m admissions (same in both years - approximately of course)FYI it should be good enough for 5th all time most admissions in a year. and an outside shot at 4th.1. 2002 - 92.5m2. 2001 - 92.5m3. 2010 - 92.1m4. 2004 - 91.5m5. 2009 - 90.4m.. 2011 - 81.8m (to date)- jajang

2011 to date is 1022m - excludes takings outside the top 20 + I'm missing data from 1st and 2nd january this year meaning those 2 days aren't included either. (i've got the weekend data but not the breakdown atm : ( )so my guess this is closer to 1050m hence i think 1.1B is all but locked at this point.EDIT (in addition to this) - 1022m i've quoted is up to the 11th December. the 81.8m admissions is using a average price of 12.50 (increase over this years 12.26.)There should be at least a further 60m to 80m in the box office remaining for the remainder of the year putting this films $ very close to last year. yes it's a drop in admissions. be awesome if we could creak 100m admissions one of these years.... Hobbit, BD2, Batman all coming soon... should be interesting in 2012.- jajang Edited by Jajang

Only a 4m weekend. That's way poor. Can that guarantee a 20m total?

missions impossible 3 made 3.8m OW and finished with 10m. only films that open that low and reach 20m are family or kids films (animated especially)Watch puss in boots in the coming weeks... it still has a shot at 20m even though it's opened @ 3m. Action films here tend to drop off steeper - good films tend to wind up around 15m. MI3 is an example of a film that did bad here.- jajang

missions impossible 3 made 3.8m OW and finished with 10m. only films that open that low and reach 20m are family or kids films (animated especially)Watch puss in boots in the coming weeks... it still has a shot at 20m even though it's opened @ 3m. Action films here tend to drop off steeper - good films tend to wind up around 15m. MI3 is an example of a film that did bad here.- jajang

Thanks. Poor MI4.It will struggle to 300m OS based on its current performance in AUS, FR, INDIA, HK, etc.