JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

New release The Personal History of David Copperfield, starring Dev Patel, topped the weekend box office with more than $330,419 in earnings across 203 screens, to fuel the strongest weekend result since Vin Diesel’s Bloodshot topped the weekend box office on March 12-15, a week before cinemas were ordered closed.

The total cumulative box office earnings for this past weekend (July 2-5) was $1,885,190, compared to last weekend's (June 25-28) total of $360,014. However, the figure is still significantly down on last year when the box office for the week ending July 3, 2019 was $18,776,249.

Other new titles such as Love Sarah ($140,802 across 172 screens) and Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarfs ($138,09 across 172 screens) also made the top 10 in a list that still leaned heavily on pre-COVID releases such as The Invisible Man ($214,613 across 182 screens) and Sonic The Hedgehog ($199,645 across 182 screens). The 1984 film Ghostbusters, reissued in cinemas this week, placed 8th in the weekend box office ($87,634 from 129 screens).

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/movies/more-demand-than-supply-cinemas-max-out-first-weekend-back-20200706-p559c4.html

Advertisement

$513k for the topper which was released 22 weeks ago, isn't really bad IMO. May be it will be among or even the record for 22nd week. Australia is doing pretty fine I guess. And WOW on Jumanji.

Looking at COVID, cases seems like are on increase once again.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

On 7/16/2020 at 1:55 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

$513k for the topper which was released 22 weeks ago, isn't really bad IMO. May be it will be among or even the record for 22nd week. Australia is doing pretty fine I guess. And WOW on Jumanji.

It’s only Victoria where cases are rising with a small outbreak in Sydney. Victoria is now worse then the initial outbreak. 

On 7/16/2020 at 1:55 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

As DeeCee said, it's a real mixed bag in Australia with cinemas open in all places excluding Victoria.

22 hours ago, DeeCee said:

It’s only Victoria where cases are rising with a small outbreak in Sydney. Victoria is now worse then the initial outbreak. 

Yeah there was actual excitement today that Victoria only hit 220 cases today... which was a step down from yesterday.  

as a current update, our total active cases in Australia are 3,161.   Victoria makes up over 2600 cases of that total and NSW is over 500 active.  WA is next highest at a mere 26 cases while the other states are 6 cases or less.  not surprisingly victoria remains on shutdown while NSW has hotspot suburbs which are almost on lockdown.  All other states are just putting people in quarentine.   QLD border remains closed to anyone who's been in victoria or comes from a NSW hotspot.

I'm going to be interested to see how the King of Straten Island Performs this weekend (it opened on thursday).  

Also we are only 12 days away from unhinged opening.  will it hold or will be delayed again - you've gotta think if Tenet and others move that Unhinged won't hold its date either in the US... what will that mean for Australia ?

On 7/16/2020 at 6:55 AM, charlie Jatinder said:

the cases or most of the cases are only from one region as other have said, so it will probably not affect things very much

5 hours ago, JJ-8 said:

I'm going to be interested to see how the King of Straten Island Performs this weekend (it opened on thursday).  

Also we are only 12 days away from unhinged opening.  will it hold or will be delayed again - you've gotta think if Tenet and others move that Unhinged won't hold its date either in the US... what will that mean for Australia ?

I saw it in Gold Class at George St on Thursday night. It was myself and one other person.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I saw it in Gold Class at George St on Thursday night. It was myself and one other person.  

Trouble is that's still enough to be in the mix. 

Actually also wondering if sonic had a school holiday boost on its last week but this week we will see an epic drop off.... 🤷‍♂️😬

Looking at the latest figures coming out of Victoria (459 Cases / 10 Deaths announced today), I can't see them reopening cinemas (or much at all) for quite some time.  In fact I understand there is discussions of additional lockdowns to try and stop the spread.

• Sad 1

At this stage the lockdown is through to 16 August. Given the current numbers it's likely to be extended another 2 weeks until the end of August.  The next stage will be a minimum of a month.  Cinemas won't open again in Victoria until October at the earliest.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DeeCee said:

@JJ-8

Breached. 

Yeah. Apparrently they deliberately falsified Info   At the airport. Flew melb to syd to Brisbane. 

have not followed any precautions even when sick and even post test continued to socialize.  Total idiots. 

sister now has it too. So 3 cases!

On 7/28/2020 at 10:38 AM, DeeCee said:

At this stage the lockdown is through to 16 August. Given the current numbers it's likely to be extended another 2 weeks until the end of August.  The next stage will be a minimum of a month.  Cinemas won't open again in Victoria until October at the earliest.

I think after what’s been announced today (stage 4 lockdown) in Melbourne I can’t see cinemas reopening till 2021 there. 

i mean 6 weeks at stage 4 with pretty much everything closed excluding essential services. That’s mid to late September before a return to stage 3. Cinemas are going to be long time coming in Victoria I think. 

• Disbelief 1

Ok just reviewing our upcoming release calendar

australian release dates

[im not listing all rereleases just inception which seems a key date linked to tenets release]

Mulan is going PVOD on Disney+ On 3rd September. 

[released]

unhinged, king of states island, David Copperfield. 

[13/8/2020]
Peninsula

[20/8/2020]
inception (rerelease)

[27/8/2020]

Tenet

[3/9/2020]
The New Mutants

[10/9/2020]
Bill and Ted Face the Music

Honest Thief

Paw Patrol Jet to the Rescue

[17/9/2020]

Astro Kid
The Kings Man

The Secret Garden

Trolls World Tour

[1/10/2020]
Wonder Woman 1984

[15/10/2020]
Candyman

[29/10/2020]
Black Widow

[12/11/2020]
No Time to Die

that will do for now. For those that don’t know most of the country has 2 weeks of school holidays from mid September to mid October (depending on the state)

At this stage all states accept Victoria are open for business. Social distancing applies in all states. 

appears like tenet will release on the 27/8 with very few movies dated there.  I’m wondering if the studio is now holding back due to Victoria. 

(we don’t really have a big PVOD market here)

also very few dates beyond 17/9 here. Sitting on the fence much?

• Like 1

Well that’s a little better. Unhinged made 1m over its first week. Still not at pre COVID levels by any means but an improvement. 

ive also updated my post above. Tenet is dated and Mulan gone to PVOD on Disney+

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1