JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Yes. Boxing Day is DEC 26 but no I wouldn't describe it as a festival. It is, however, a nationwide public holiday. Both Monday and Tuesday are public holidays with virtually nothing open and everyone off work. On Boxing Day people go to the movies in large numbers, they watch the Boxing Day Test(cricket, against India this year), the start of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race or they just go to the beach.Movies normally open on a Thursday in Australia. This Thursday(DEC21) there is not a single new wide release. However, on Monday(Boxing Day) the following films open-Happy Feet 2Tin TinThe Iron LadyTower HeistWar HorseWe bought a Zoo

Yes. Boxing Day is DEC 26 but no I wouldn't describe it as a festival. It is, however, a nationwide public holiday. Both Monday and Tuesday are public holidays with virtually nothing open and everyone off work. On Boxing Day people go to the movies in large numbers, they watch the Boxing Day Test(cricket, against India this year), the start of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race or they just go to the beach.Movies normally open on a Thursday in Australia. This Thursday(DEC21) there is not a single new wide release. However, on Monday(Boxing Day) the following films open-Happy Feet 2Tin TinThe Iron LadyTower HeistWar HorseWe bought a Zoo

Thanks!

Theres also 3 limited releases opening on the day, not that I can remember what they are :PJajang, do you think The Hobbit will be released on boxing day here as were the LotR's films, or will it be in line with the international release date?

it's already got a release date ......26th December 2012.I believe they have already set the 2nd film to 26th December 2012.So currently the short answer is no. one thing this will do is give the 2nd film a very good chance at breaking harry potter's OW record. boxing day falls on a thursday that year i do believe. Assuming the hobbit lives up the hype (from the LOTR films) it could be a threat. Just remember both TTT and ROTK made 5.2m OD alone in 2002 and 2003. and TTT made 14.1m OW in 2002. Add in 3D and inflation and you have to think that the hobbit films have a shot at this. (the first hobbit film is the same boat as Fellowship was - boxing day is a wednesday)- jajang

Theres also 3 limited releases opening on the day, not that I can remember what they are :PJajang, do you think The Hobbit will be released on boxing day here as were the LotR's films, or will it be in line with the international release date?

the 3 releases are:Albert NoobsThe Skin i live inThe salt of life (opens on the 22nd - only film doing so.)- jajang

big call there rob... 6m opening week is good but 20m total... way too much competition... it's not impossible just improbbable. 15m is my target... at least this won't do a MI3 on us and die out at 10m ;)- jajang

big call there rob... 6m opening week is good but 20m total... way too much competition... it's not impossible just improbbable. 15m is my target... at least this won't do a MI3 on us and die out at 10m ;)- jajang

Yeh that's sort of what I mean. This weekend is going to test everyone.