JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So Australia currency has crashed. It was $1 = A$1.5 few days back, today its A$1.79.

The AUD is usually the world’s 5th most traded currency as it is free floating. The exchange rate is a natural cushion for the economy. It boosts the value of exports and makes imports more expensive. This helps the economy adjust to a changing external environment.

• Thanks 1

Ok so cases are up to 1893 now. but this still excludes QLD, WA, SA, Tasmania and ACT at this point.  I'm aware that QLD is +78 on this already, so i'd say we will be clearing 2000 cases in Australia today.

Also for reference the total ICU beds in Australia is 2229

(874 NSW, 476 VIC, 413 QLD, 44 ACT, 50 TAS, 188 SA, 22 NT and 162 WA)

• Like 1

Well in QLD, there is discussions of Cafe's / Restaurants reopening in June.  Of course NRL (Rugby League) is planning to restart on 28th May.  Pretty sure it will be empty stadiums though.  There has been discussions around cinemas reopening with checkered layout seating (50%).  Can't imagine we will get far into June before they open if things keep going as they are here (QLD).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lab276 said:

George street cinemas closing for good! Not happy about it, replacement is just four screens.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-14/george-street-skyscraper-to-replace-last-major-cbd-cinema/12244240

I know. I’ve mentioned it several times.

505 will have 3 screen boutique cinema. 

525 will have a separate 7 screen boutique cinema. 

26 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I know. I’ve mentioned it several times.

505 will have 3 screen boutique cinema. 

525 will have a separate 7 screen boutique cinema. 

Now it's definite though, it's been approved by the council. Some sources that I've seen are suggesting just one four screen "boutique" cinema.

Edited by lab276

Event Cinemas has commented on Facebook. 

It’s been reported in the media that our cinema at George Street is closing, however this is incorrect – there are no plans to close. 
While our doors have been temporarily shut due to COVID-19, we’ve upgraded our big-screen V-Max theatres, now with daybeds, luxury seating and full recliners, and we’ve introduced a new marketplace candy bar as well as contactless self-service technology. 

We can’t wait to welcome you back so you can experience it for yourself when we are able to re-open our doors.

So QLD is allowing full Intra-State travel from midday tomorrow / holidaying again + up to 20 visitors per household at once (must continue to meet 1.5m social distancing)

also allowed up to 20 people per room as per the below snapshot... - thats cafe, restaurants - i did note concert venues / theatres are mentioned in there though i'm not sure this will reopen cinemas just yet, however i could see gold class reopening as they only can take a max of 24 - 48 anyway so a limitation of 20 isn't much above that.  still we are on the right track here... QLD has 5 active cases with 1 in hospital and 1 in icu.

EZTsCTXU4AEnZsH?format=jpg&name=medium

Crossing fingers this all works... Still no interstate travel (and obviously no international travel) without exemptions or quarantine.

the biggest thing i note regarding cinemas is they are now allowed to officially open for up to 20 people per auditorium. There is a * i did note that more could be allowed with an approved covid safe plan in place... maybe, just maybe we might see some cinemas here open pre July 1 ? (if i've read this right).  not sure about other states though i'd imagine SA & WA are close to the same position. 

although no date.  They have updated to say opening very soon (next couple of weeks by the looks). Of note in their responses they plan on with their favorite top picks and new content. 

bring it on!

(no announcements from event or reading so far)

• Like 2