JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

On 9/29/2017 at 11:25 PM, DeeCee said:

Event George St is getting a big refurbish. New carpet, new escalators and some of theatres have been renovated. A lot of effort considering it’ll probably be demolished within 2 years. 

Still standing. 

Saw The Dry at a cinema down the NSW South Coast. There was way more people than I expected, the line was out the door. I know to some extent that's cos of COVID, but it was still pretty decently full. Good to see too both an independent cinema and an Australian film being supported.

The film itself was very good, done in the Nordic Noir style that's so popular these days, it just happened to be set in Australia rather than in Sweden or whatever. Eric Bana is sympathetic and the town is sufficiently tight lipped. Great photography too, gets across just how terrible droughts can be. 

Edited by lab276
  • Like 1

interesting article in the Brisbane Times ....

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/culture/movies/there-will-be-no-more-cinemas-operators-lobby-government-for-survival-20210104-p56ro4.html

It's from a local independant cinema owner in brisbane (United Cinemas - runs the elderado cinemas at indooroopilly).  Unless there is some intervention (and we are talking here in australia) he sees struggles for cinemas here where we are able to open.  Raises a lot of points which i think have been mentioned around here already but still...... interesting read to see how australian cinemas are taking all this.  especially the WB move (day and date releases in the USA)

• Like 1

All cinemas would still qualify for JobKeeper. They would be maintaining the same number of staff but the hours for all staff are probably matching the current JobKeeper amount. The Federal Government is still probably paying the bulk of their wages bill. 

I don't think they would stay open without a JobKeeper style arrangement for possibly all of 2021.

Edit: Should have read the article first. It doesn't even mention this.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DeeCee said:

All cinemas would still qualify for JobKeeper. They would be maintaining the same number of staff but the hours for all staff are probably matching the current JobKeeper amount. The Federal Government is still probably paying the bulk of their wages bill. 

I don't think they would stay open without a JobKeeper style arrangement for possibly all of 2021.

Edit: Should have read the article first. It doesn't even mention this.

True. Accept that is being wound in the next few months (it’s already reduced)

the long term viability of cinemas not only overseas but here in Australia is in question right now. I don’t see numbers returning quickly especially with the move Warner’s took. 

in saying that WW84 had a very respectable start here. But even with that the overall BO for Xmas/ New Years is way down on previous years. 

though we aren’t getting the day and date release here so..... don’t think Warner’s will let foxtel play their movies earlier than normal. 

If anything, this is how they'll survive, these are excerpts from the Event AGM and the annual report:

"We had made solid progress against our Entertainment strategy to maximise our assets by investing in fewer-better locations and innovating with our cinema of the future concepts, expanding our premium cinema offerings at key locations across Australia and New Zealand."

"As part of the continuing strategy to improve our asset portfolio, we closed Mackay City cinema, and exited leases at Cronulla and Manuka. Subsequent to year-end, we have also confirmed the closure of Adelaide City, Arndale, and Townsville City. All of these were cinemas that had been loss making for many years."

"The stage one development application for the 525 George Street development, which will include ground floor retail, a seven-screen cinema, a new 450-room Atura hotel and conference centre, and 72 residential apartments, was approved in May, with a design competition about to commence."

https://www.evt.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Chairmans-Address-to-Shareholders-2020-1.pdf

hIrg7mU.png

https://www.evt.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/2020-Annual-Report.pdf

So that's likely to be the future. Closing underperforming sites, increasing the amount of premium screens, whilst reducing the overall screen count. George Street for example would go down from 15 to seven screens. The Hoyts theatre at Wetherill Park is very nicely done up too, they reduced the number of seats, but they're all recliners now, even in regular screens.

This is for the year ended June 30, so it has nothing to say about how they performed since cinemas reopened in early July. Tbh, I don't really know how to read these things, between the lines it could be a complete disaster.

Edited by lab276

4 hours ago, lab276 said:

If anything, this is how they'll survive, these are excerpts from the Event AGM and the annual report:

"We had made solid progress against our Entertainment strategy to maximise our assets by investing in fewer-better locations and innovating with our cinema of the future concepts, expanding our premium cinema offerings at key locations across Australia and New Zealand."

"As part of the continuing strategy to improve our asset portfolio, we closed Mackay City cinema, and exited leases at Cronulla and Manuka. Subsequent to year-end, we have also confirmed the closure of Adelaide City, Arndale, and Townsville City. All of these were cinemas that had been loss making for many years."

"The stage one development application for the 525 George Street development, which will include ground floor retail, a seven-screen cinema, a new 450-room Atura hotel and conference centre, and 72 residential apartments, was approved in May, with a design competition about to commence."

https://www.evt.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Chairmans-Address-to-Shareholders-2020-1.pdf

hIrg7mU.png

https://www.evt.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/2020-Annual-Report.pdf

So that's likely to be the future. Closing underperforming sites, increasing the amount of premium screens, whilst reducing the overall screen count. George Street for example would go down from 15 to seven screens. The Hoyts theatre at Wetherill Park is very nicely done up too, they reduced the number of seats, but they're all recliners now, even in regular screens.

This is for the year ended June 30, so it has nothing to say about how they performed since cinemas reopened in early July. Tbh, I don't really know how to read these things, between the lines it could be a complete disaster.

True for the larger chains such as event. But I can see big troubles for the smaller operators without changes.  Not saying it’s impossible but not a great situation 

11 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I’ve been to the Circular Quay cinemas a few times when it was Dendy. Haven’t been since it changed to United Cinemas. It closed as Dendy at the end of February 2020. 

Crap, I didn't know that! Ah well, the last time I went to Dendy Circular Quay it was to see Amelie.

I can also finally update the millionaires list. The Croods 2 will pass Tenet this week. Promising Young Woman will make it next week, and if Master is doing as well as Charlie says, that might do it too.

The Personal History of David Copperfield 02/07/20 1,510,000

Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarves 02/07/20 1,470,000

The King of Staten Island 16/07/20 1,240,000

Unhinged 30/07/20 3,900,000

The Secret Dare to Dream 30/07/20 1,060,000

Made in Italy 13/08/20 1,460,000

Tenet 27/08/20 16,010,000

Trolls World Tour 27/08/20 9,250,000

The New Mutants 03/09/20 1,580,000

After We Collided 10/09/20 3,440,000

Paw Patrol: Jet to the Rescue 10/09/20 1,860,000

Bill and Ted Face the Music 10/09/20 1,130,000