JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

29 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

1k+ seats sold for 62 midnight shows at HOYTS chain for No Way Home. Not too crazy but decent I guess in general. This is first time checking so no comps, may be it is crazy.

You keep checking just Hoyts, but I promise Event Cinemas is easier to check, just gotta mouse over the session!

Village Cinemas is pretty obnoxious, it’s a two click process and I don’t usually bother checking them. But they have loads of screens in Victoria. 

• Like 1

Total weekend was just shy of 13m, down in the equivalent weekend in 2019, but that had two big movies opening (Frozen 2 and Knives Out). But then nothing big opened again until Star Wars whereas this year we have Dune still to go before Spider-Man, and stronger holdovers. I wouldn’t say the box office is totally back yet, but we’re on a good run at the moment. 

Edited by lab276
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, lab276 said:

You keep checking just Hoyts, but I promise Event Cinemas is easier to check, just gotta mouse over the session!

I know, its is easier if I know capacity of those shows, which is a LOT of capacity to remember for 700+ screens. If they show the tickets sold instead of tickets available as they do now, I will jump the ship.

I am checking HOYTS since 2017 for Indian films, so felt easier and relatability factor. 

Now can just keep opening shows in new tab and then just search inspect elements, earlier used to manually count them.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I know, its is easier if I know capacity of those shows, which is a LOT of capacity to remember for 700+ screens. If they show the tickets sold instead of tickets available as they do now, I will jump the ship.

I am checking HOYTS since 2017 for Indian films, so felt easier and relatability factor. 

Now can just keep opening shows in new tab and then just search inspect elements, earlier used to manually count them.

Fair enough. You can check seats per screen for Event here, you’d still have to work out by subtracting though. 

https://exclusives.eventcinemas.com.au/venues/

1 minute ago, lab276 said:

Fair enough. You can check seats per screen for Event here, you’d still have to work out by subtracting though. 

https://exclusives.eventcinemas.com.au/venues/

That does make things a bit better. Though still need to open the theater and then look up screen wise data. Need to compile in one sheet for better check. Will do in free time.

George Street looks solid, 2400+ VMAX sold in 8 showing. 

No midnights at Burwood, C-Town, Ed Square, Livo or Miranda yet (ever?), but it is getting midnights at Blacktown and Wetherill Park Hoyts. Wonder what that's about. Back in 2015-17, SW got multiple midnights at suburban locations, and it was selling them out.

10 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Yep, more midnights now at Bondi Junction and Miranda.

Spider-Man sales are a multiple of Dune.

I can’t begin to guesstimate Australia with your COVID restrictions but if everything was equivalent to the domestic market, I’d bet it does over $50M USD.

Just now, DeeCee said:

There aren't any covid restrictions for Spider-Man.

None? And there won’t be or could there still be? Like, in the US I can guarantee there won’t be even if COVID doubles in the next 3 weeks but it feels like Australia locks down or restricts things if there is a spike (could be wrong, haven’t paid that close attention to it.)

1 minute ago, VenomXXR said:

None? And there won’t be or could there still be? Like, in the US I can guarantee there won’t be even if COVID doubles in the next 3 weeks but it feels like Australia locks down or restricts things if there is a spike (could be wrong, haven’t paid that close attention to it.)

I sincerely hope there aren't. Nothing about Omicron is showing itself to be worse then Delta, we're super vaccinated, antivirals are coming online etc... Governments, especially state govts are super cautious though. NSW should be OK, but Vic and WA in particular have been pretty trigger happy, and Qld are a bit up in the air as they have the lowest vax rate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was in the city on Saturday, and if the number of people shopping and milling about and being pretty lax with masking rules is any indication, then I reckon everyone is pretty over restrictions and are ready to get to living like they were. A lockdown would be a much harder sell now then back in June.

• Like 1