JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Not sure what to make of this:

"Important news from the MPDAA

The MPDAA is proud to announce its partnership with Numero, a Vista Group Company providing an aggregated Box Office reporting platform designed and developed for film studios, distributors and cinemas. Using proprietary infrastructure and technology, as well as pre-built and custom reports for consistent and accurate performance tracking, Numero delivers clean, fast and effective information to the film industry and media. The MPDAA operated a box office data service from the mid 1980’s. It was the first of its kind in Australia and the only service offering theatrical box office data to subscribers for many decades.

In a rapidly changing theatrical eco-system, the need for instantaneous, reliable and customised data, available on responsive platforms, has become increasingly important. With two established and well regarded commercial database services now operating in Australia, the MPDAA has closed its box office database. Numero will aggregate and deliver the official weekend, weekly and yearly box office results. Numero customers include all leading film studios, Australian film distributors, exhibitors, media outlets and Government agencies."

Since Numero has operated for years, I assume they're only announcing it now because the MPDAA has closed their tracking service. Will there be much to notice on our end? Are Numero still going to provide yearly box office data, ticket price info and admissions to Screen Australia? Will that widget with the weekly, monthly and yearly box office on it be pulled? How much does it cost to subscribe to the database?

Edited by lab276

The Dry is having a fantastic run. 15m already. I feel like 20m is easily going to be passed with the small drops it keeps getting.  At this rate 25m isn’t impossible in this market. 

to me the dry has turned out to be a film that has benefited from COVID. I think in a normal market this makes around 10m? COVID has given the film room to breathe. And the lack of competition has pushed it a lot further too. 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2021 at 6:34 PM, lab276 said:

Total box office last year was $401m, well down on $1.228b in 2019. Ticket sales were about 26-27m.

https://b5675322-b29e-4d46-8421-b381ef92da2b.filesusr.com/ugd/7fdd5f_c3e47e0b74534e1fb9982d7bb0371609.pdf

EuMHyyw.png

Admissions were 28.2. I overshot the ticket price a bit, wasn't expecting them to fall tbh. But it makes sense I guess, the people who went to the movies last year were more likely to be film nuts than normal and thus more likely to have loyalty cards or whatever, which would've dragged down the prices.

The next big movie out is Demon Slayer which is finally getting released next week and is doing pretty good with presales. After that, it's looking like pretty slim pickings honestly. Hoyts has got the LOTR trilogy on consecutive weekends which I definitely want to check out. Chaos Walking looks okay-ish, but I'll probably skip it. Just going through the release schedule, nothing immediately stands out as something I want to watch until The Conjuring 3 which is in June. It's a shame that Bond moved, that really deadened the schedule.