JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

3 hours ago, CasualName99 said:

So, I guess it can do better than the first one? Is 25m+  possible?

Yes. 

Did Hoyts, Village and other chains also have cheap Tuesday like Event/GU? I forgot to check yesterday. 

Regular pricing would have pushed the gross closer to $5m. 

Edited by DeeCee

9 hours ago, DeeCee said:

ANZAC Day was a Monday last year and before that it was rolling through the weekend.  The last interesting one was Iron Man 3 opened with $3m on the Wednesday before a Thursday ANZAC Day in 2013 and has $14m for the Thu-Sun of the full weekend.

I'm thinking around $12m Wednesday to Sunday for GOTG2 for a cume of around $18m.

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

So what is it on pace for? What kind of opening?

I'd say the normal 4 day weekend will be circa 10m based on this.  and a 18m running total.  (in AUD)

For comparison (same weekend release - around anzac day):

Civil War did 13.9m OW (13.9m total) ~ civil war finished with 33.7m

Age of Ultron did 15.7m (17.1m total) ~ Ultron managed 40.1m

Other relevant openings

Winter Soldier 6m OW (6.4m total) on its way to 20m

GOTG 6.6m OW (8.9m total) on it's way to 26.8m

based on all this, i'm thinking a total of 36m seems about right which isn't bad at all.

I should note, that the upper end of it's total (using the GOTG multiplier) would be 54m... lol.... yeah that isn't happening as i think the multiplier will be skewed due to the monday opening.

• Like 2

I think BATB aspirations might expire either this weekend or next when it no doubt collapses....

Looks like it will wind up about 48m is my thoughts - i could be wrong and it continues to hold it's way past the 50m mark, but i don't think it will have the juice in it to squeeze past the 50m level especially now holidays are winding up around the country. 

1 hour ago, eXtacy said:

So 36m would be a 56% increase in total. If other countries see similar increases this will clear 1B worldwide even if domestic is flat. So good start.

If it hits 36M AUD, that would be basically flat to GOTG in USD. The dollar has got much much stronger since 2014. For example, it needs to almost earn 70% more in the UK to match the first movie in USD. GOTG would have ended up with 380M OS with current exchange rates.

• Like 1

Just now, DeeCee said:

#GuardiansoftheGalaxyVol2 ends the week on top of the Australian #boxoffice after opening on Tuesday. Results: bit.ly/2q9QQ9l

https://twitter.com/numeroboxoffice/status/857424301179273216

That's $1m on Wednesday. I'm thinking $7-9m for Thursday to Sunday. 

Care to make a projection for US domestic OW?

12 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

#GuardiansoftheGalaxyVol2 ends the week on top of the Australian #boxoffice after opening on Tuesday. Results: bit.ly/2q9QQ9l

So between 14-16M for the effectively 7 day opening. Iirc, Avengers had around 20M and IM3 had 18 for their 5 day openings, Ultron was 17M 4-day i think .

All this to say that i have absolutely no idea how to translate this opening. Looks like 130-150 currently but the weekend will give a better picture. 

19 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

My thoughts for the weekend

thurs 1.2m

fri 2.4m

sat 3.3m

sun 3.2m

10.1m weekend. 

I suspect if if we had a normal 4 day we would gotten something close to this

thurs 3.5m

fri 3m

sat 3.5m

sun 3.4m

13.4m ow. 

For comparison opening weekends

Civil war AU = 14m

civil war us = 179m

GOTG 2 projected us = 171m

using GOTG

GOTG Au = 6.6m / 8.9m. I'm using 8m ow in this case to compare. 

Gotg us = 94m

project us opening = 157m

i think above 150m us opening looks very likely based on this. I think around 165m seems right at this point but I should note the range here is still 150m to 170m. 

• Like 2