JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

2 hours ago, YourMother said:

@DeeCee or @JJ-8 can you explain how the AUD to USD OW comparison works?

forget OW for a second... generally when you are comparing the 2 countries box offices... the ratio is 10 x (ignore exchange rates... quite simply it's AU BO in AUD x 10 = US BO in USD)

now i say it's typically ....

quite often comic book films in the past tended to favour the USA, while fantasy films such as potter, LOTR etc favoured australia when using the ratio.  

Also I should note in australia while we see some element of front loadedness (eg. the last potter film had weak legs for a massive opening), we don't have the front loaded problems of the US here typically.  

Don't forget the AU OW is 4 days (thurs - sun) normally.  

If you noted above when i posted some numbers... civil opened to nearly 14m here against the  us opening 176m which means the ratio is in the favour of the US.

based on this if use say an OW of 9m to 10m at face value, it would  translate to a 120m to 130m as a minimum.  This  is where it gets messy since GOTG 2 has a 2.5 day head start on the normal 4 day weeking thereby muting the weekend (it's thursday will almost be normal rather than an opening day.)  it's likely much of the business on the first day and half would  have translated into the OW.  hence why my estimate was around a 13.4m ow or equivelant and why i think GOTG 2 can do as a minimum 150m in the US but if you use  Civil  war as the example that can push up to 170m.

hope this helps.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JJ-8 said:

forget OW for a second... generally when you are comparing the 2 countries box offices... the ratio is 10 x (ignore exchange rates... quite simply it's AU BO in AUD x 10 = US BO in USD)

now i say it's typically ....

quite often comic book films in the past tended to favour the USA, while fantasy films such as potter, LOTR etc favoured australia when using the ratio.  

Also I should note in australia while we see some element of front loadedness (eg. the last potter film had weak legs for a massive opening), we don't have the front loaded problems of the US here typically.  

Don't forget the AU OW is 4 days (thurs - sun) normally.  

If you noted above when i posted some numbers... civil opened to nearly 14m here against the  us opening 176m which means the ratio is in the favour of the US.

based on this if use say an OW of 9m to 10m at face value, it would  translate to a 120m to 130m as a minimum.  This  is where it gets messy since GOTG 2 has a 2.5 day head start on the normal 4 day weeking thereby muting the weekend (it's thursday will almost be normal rather than an opening day.)  it's likely much of the business on the first day and half would  have translated into the OW.  hence why my estimate was around a 13.4m ow or equivelant and why i think GOTG 2 can do as a minimum 150m in the US but if you use  Civil  war as the example that can push up to 170m.

hope this helps.

So the $13.4M OW is the 6 day. 

Nevermind I get it.

Edited by YourMother

5 hours ago, YourMother said:

So the $13.4M OW is the 6 day. 

Nevermind I get it.

I believe it would close to the equivalent 4 day for GOTG 2 if it opened on a normal Thursday. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

its Thursday-Sunday gross was definitely lot lower than Jajang's projections. That definitely gives us a picture on Domestic OW. I am definitely thinking sub 140m OW.

The predictions were in AUD, I think.

On 2017-4-27 at 0:45 PM, DeeCee said:

#GuardiansoftheGalaxyVol2 ends the week on top of the Australian #boxoffice after opening on Tuesday. Results: bit.ly/2q9QQ9l

https://twitter.com/numeroboxoffice/status/857424301179273216

That's $1m on Wednesday. I'm thinking $7-9m for Thursday to Sunday. 

After AUD7.03m up to Wednesday and a reported USD11.6m up to Sunday giving a total up to Sunday of AUD15,613,808.  That's a 4 day normal weekend of AUD8.59m.  At the high end of what I was thinking after the Wednesday number.

I think it's still on track for around USD150m Domestic.

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 2