JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

I must say this OW figure for Alien Covenant  is disappointing..  Prometheus managed 6.8m back in 2012.  it made it too 18m....

I am actually kinda  worried about the opening in the US based on this... the only thing might be is if the film is playing more to the  horror in space element then  we do tend to underperform in comparison to the US.  Otherwise a SciFi film opening to 3.8m would point to an opening in the 30m to 35m range which i'm afraid a little lower than expected if it happens.

as noted though, i get the feeling this is one of those films that could play better to US audiences seemingly pointing to towards the expected 40m+ OW.

anyway with the way it was front loaded i'm not expecting good legs here.... I'll say 10m for now.

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

This seems really good for JW2, didn't the first only make like 2M total or something?

Went and had a look and it made 3.16M total in AUD, according to BOM. Might come close to that this weekend alone. Should be in for a sizable increase. Weekend could get up to like 2M+.

JW2 should do around $1.8-2m for the weekend.  Hopefully it can beat King Arthur.

Covenant has a big 70% drop from opening Thursday.  Snatched dropped just under 40%.

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 1

Plus $286,000 from previews (Wednesday night) to be at $1.28m.

You would have to think a 10% higher weekend of around $4.5-5m.  Actually it might be $5-6m as it is more family friendly.

1 1 PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES (M), WALT DISNEY [620/ $15,973] 9,903,515 N/A

and USD90,151,958 Domestic suggests a 30-40% drop if it was a normal US weekend of around USD50-60m

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

Looks like JW2 underperformed? I feel numbers posted in 1st and 2nd weekend is less for a movie which was well received post theatrical release. Correct me if im wrong!

The circumstances of it's release in Australia probably deflated it a bit, but it's already beaten the originals gross in AUD. So I wouldn't say it's doing too badly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

The circumstances of it's release in Australia probably deflated it a bit, but it's already beaten the originals gross in AUD. So I wouldn't say it's doing too badly.

Why the delay in Aus/NZ? I mean it could have done good business for sure in these 2 markets if it was released during February. Distributor Problem?

On 5/29/2017 at 3:28 PM, aabattery said:

Cause eOne fuckin' sucks.

@DeeCee

John Wick 2 also changed distributors from eOne to Studiocanal not long after date was announced

On 5/1/2017 at 1:21 PM, Robertron said:

So looking at the above, Baahubali 2 did $1.4m total?! Impressive. 

Released in four languages by two different distributors combined its now Highest grossing India film ever in Australia

• Like 9

Hopefully in the next 1-2 hours we'll get the opening Thursday from https://twitter.com/numeroboxoffice?lang=en

Here is the comparison for the first 3 films from the DCEU for the OW.

MoS - USD116m / AUD8.877m = 13.06 multiplier

BvS - USD166m / AUD13.15m = 12.6 multiplier

SS - USD133.6m / AUD8.877m = 9.6 multiplier

A couple of things to note.  Suicide Squad performed much better in Australia relative to the other 2 films compared to Domestic.  SS even opened higher then BvS in Australia even though BvS benefited from Easter holidays.  I'm thinking the multiplier for WW will be roughly AUD x 11-12 = USD.  

e.g. If WW opens to AUD10m then the Domestic opening will be USD110m to USD120m.

Firstly I'll have to estimate the Australian OW from the opening Thursday.  BvS had a multiplier of 3.9 for Thursday to OW.  SS was around 4.3-4.5 (I don't have the exact OD).  I'm thinking WW will be around 4.5.  Mainly due to the much better reactions it appears to be getting from critics and audiences.

e.g. AUD2m opening day suggests an OW of AUD9m.

• Like 2