JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Right so time to put things in perspective here :-

Opening Weekend Records (please correct if i miss something)

1. Star Wars: the Force Awakens 27.3m

2. Avengers: Infinity War 21.2m (29.9m if you include the Wednesday Opening Day)

3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi 21.0m

4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 18.4m (25.5m if you include the Wednesday Opening Day)

Opening Day Records

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens 9.4m

2. Avengers: Infinity War 8.7m

3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi 7.1m

4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 7.0m

(I think i'm missing a OD but i can't find the records anymore)

the best comparisons here are Infinity War (of course and is probably the yardstick it needs to beat) and Harry Potters then record opening is also relevant but less so...  Especially given Endgame opens on the Wednesday like Infinity War - I think this will put the OW record out of reach at this point (27m seems a stretch for the normal 4 day weekend but 35m over 5 days seems in reach however.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JJ-8 said:

2. Avengers: Infinity War 21.2m (29.9m if you include the Wednesday Opening Day)

4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 18.4m (25.5m if you include the Wednesday Opening Day)

Opening Day Records

the best comparisons here are Infinity War (of course and is probably the yardstick it needs to beat) and Harry Potters then record opening is also relevant but less so...  Especially given Endgame opens on the Wednesday like Infinity War - I think this will put the OW record out of reach at this point (27m seems a stretch for the normal 4 day weekend but 35m over 5 days seems in reach however.

A$36m 5-day.
A$11m OD. 

Lets not play any games and just knock out these birds already!

15 minutes ago, JJ-8 said:

Opening Day Records

What time of the day do EG showtimes start on Wednesday? I recall Infinity War started as late as around 1 pm on Wednesday opening day.

5 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

What time of the day do EG showtimes start on Wednesday? I recall Infinity War started as late as around 1 pm on Wednesday opening day.

If that is the case, A$10mn OD incoming as if I read them right (though I simply scroll read), there are many early morning shows.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

If that is the case, A$10mn OD incoming as if I read them right (though I simply scroll read), there are many early morning shows.

IW opened in the afternoon in some states due to Anzac Day trade regulations but it was a public holiday for the whole country. This year Wednesday isn't a public holiday and some states (at least QLD) schools are back. I think that will hurt it's chances of $10mn OD.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 1:28 PM, VenomXXR said:

A$36m 5-day.
A$11m OD. 

Lets not play any games and just knock out these birds already!

On 4/20/2019 at 1:38 PM, FlashMaster659 said:

On 4/20/2019 at 1:45 PM, Charlie Jatinder said:

On 4/20/2019 at 9:37 PM, austyphoon17 said:

IW opened in the afternoon in some states due to Anzac Day trade regulations but it was a public holiday for the whole country. This year Wednesday isn't a public holiday and some states (at least QLD) schools are back. I think that will hurt it's chances of $10mn OD.

I think the way the dates land may hurt Endgames changes of breaking either OD or OW records... not impossible but it does make things hard given some states are off holidays......

As noted :-

Wednesday is the OD and it's a full day from 8am till last session around midnight starting i think depending on location.  There are no previews on the Tuesday night / mids either. but then thursday is a public holiday but is only a half day for cinemas due to the anzac day regulations.

I suspect that Wednesday + thursday afternoon/night will play like the full Opening Day would have making the actual OD slightly lower than it might have under normal circumstances.  my gut :-

Here's my prediction :- (no OD or OW records here but i'd imagine the 5 day total is gonna be impressive ;)) 

Daily - OW aggregate / total Gross

Wed - 8.5m 

thurs - 7.5m - 7.5m / 16m 

Fri - 5.5m - 13m / 21.5m

Sat - 7.5m - 20.5m / 29m

Sun - 6.5m - 27m / 35.5m

OD = 8.5m

OW = 27m

Total Gross to date = 35.5m

As I said both records are close but i think we will just fall short due to the thursday public holiday in this.

EDIT - without the way it's opening i think it would have landed close to a 12m OD and 30-32m OW... that's my thoughts on it here... either way the opening is impressive, but i think star wars can hold onto it's records here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For some bizarre reason Event George St has post 1am Thursday screenings of Weeping Woman, Hellboy, Us and Pet Sematary.

Late night Endgame postgame fright night maybe?

Edit:It’s 8pm now and listed for tomorrow at Event George St there’s still only the 58 Endgame sessions from 8am to 12:40am plus one session each for Shazam, Weeping Woman and Lego Move 2. 

• Like 1

Every session at Event George St is selling out. Even the ones in the crappy theatres. 

It’s 5pm now. There’s nothing but Endgame for the rest of the evening except of 11:10pm Weeping Woman. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Every session at Event George St is selling out. Even the ones in the crappy theatres. 

It’s 5pm now. There’s nothing but Endgame for the rest of the evening except of 11:10pm Weeping Woman. 

:hahaha:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I've never seen Hurstville Vmax basically sell out before, and this is at 10:40pm. Might go to a late session somewhere if I'm not too tired.

ns8RD7a.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This is the 806 seat theatre at George St 7:30 session. 

Only 3 seats left. 

I couldn’t frame it properly on my phone. This is the front right hand quarter. So just times by 4. 

Maybe that seat seat in the top right hand corner is still available when I come out of my session. 

rUf6Swa.jpg

• Sad 1