JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

I think the fact it's coming close to The Avenger's 4 day in the UK and Australia is stunning, given it has no 3D boost.

If you take out TA public holiday Wednesday and spread some of that gross into the normal 4 day weekend it could end up being very close with TDKR. We should get the weekend numbers in the next 2-3 hours.

If you take out TA public holiday Wednesday and spread some of that gross into the normal 4 day weekend it could end up being very close with TDKR. We should get the weekend numbers in the next 2-3 hours.

Both countries absolutely obliterated TA's in admissions though.

Avengers first 5 days vs TDKR first 5 days is about the same in admissions I would think? And then it'll all depend on the drops (I think TDKR will have worse drops then TA, as not as many casual filmgoers will be coming in for the final film). So I expect TA to have more admissions then TDKR still.(TA first 5 days being 19m, with TDKR first 5 days being around 16-17.5M?) 3D prices have a lower effect on box office here I think then the US due to the higher ticket price value (therefore the difference between each ticket proportionally will be less. I am probably wrong?)

Edited by Ball Lightning

Avengers first 5 days vs TDKR first 5 days is about the same in admissions I would think? And then it'll all depend on the drops (I think TDKR will have worse drops then TA, as not as many casual filmgoers will be coming in for the final film). So I expect TA to have more admissions then TDKR still.(TA first 5 days being 19m, with TDKR first 5 days being around 16-17.5M?) 3D prices have a lower effect on box office here I think then the US due to the higher ticket price value (therefore the difference between each ticket proportionally will be less. I am probably wrong?)

Probably, according to Rth, TA had a 60% 3D ratio, which is pretty high. And however expensive our normal tickets are, 3D is still more expensive.

Probably, according to Rth, TA had a 60% 3D ratio, which is pretty high. And however expensive our normal tickets are, 3D is still more expensive.

The base price of our tickets is higher and the 3D mark up usually only $3. So if a 2D adult is $16 and 3D is $19 it's about a 19% markup. In the US the 3D mark up can be $3-4. So if 2D is $10 and 3D $14 that's a 40% mark up. Therefore 3D prices make a higher contribution to the gross in the US then they do in Australia.

One other factor you might need to consider is that TDKR is aimed at an older age group, and therefore will probably have less children tickets than the avengers. Though I don't think that would make too much of a difference. I would say Avengers is going to just beat TDKR admissions wise, but both have really blown out from what traditionally comic movies do here. Just hoping tonight isn't too busy at work, so tired from the weekend!

One other factor you might need to consider is that TDKR is aimed at an older age group, and therefore will probably have less children tickets than the avengers. Though I don't think that would make too much of a difference. I would say Avengers is going to just beat TDKR admissions wise, but both have really blown out from what traditionally comic movies do here. Just hoping tonight isn't too busy at work, so tired from the weekend!

I do think the high 3D share will offset the age advantage, certainly over the weekend at least.

I do think the high 3D share will offset the age advantage, certainly over the weekend at least.

3D is definitely a much larger factor then the age advantage, I was just trying to think of all the different factors. I guess we'll have to wait for rth or actual numbers anyway :)

That is a very good opening for TDKR. Perhaps only a little more than what I expected, but it really shows that the shooter would have affected the US box office drastically when Ledger's death would have the biggest impact here.