Quigley

ITALY (Botteghino): 'Kung Fu Panda 4' stronger than predecessor

23 minutes ago, Omni said:

Uhm...what happened?

This is just 25% better than Incredibles 2, which finished at 12.1M. And on par with Aladdin, which finished at 15.4M.

We'll see how it does over the weekend, but this OD is very disappointing.

Possibly huge increase over Fri-Sun ?

755-550-1000-2500-2750, and 3x multi ? Is this scenario possible ?

Edited by RJ 95
  • Like 1

It's definitely overall possible, but even that is still a sub-BatB OW.

Oh, Midway opened too. 46K OD -_- Its total gross will probably be around 50% of Hustlers OW.

And Parasite is still in the top 10, above 200K admissions already. Great performance here, too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Frozen 2 is a really weekend heavy movie almost everywhere. I underestimated how much family skewing the movie was going to be. Even in my country lots of kids came to see the movie where usually it's mostly adults who watch animation. Let's see how this plays.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Omni said:

Uhm...what happened?

This is just 25% better than Incredibles 2, which finished at 12.1M. And on par with Aladdin, which finished at 15.4M.

We'll see how it does over the weekend, but this OD is very disappointing.

As I said yesterday, there aren't many tickets sold (UCI app allow to buy until some minutes after show officially starts so you can see if it is really packed or not).

I think a 5-day start for a toon in november isn't a good move. Other Disney toons opens usually during Christmas holidays or a week before here.

In other european market opening on wed the OD vs full W have been: France 360/2140 adm - Germany 220/1635 adm. In each comparison a full week under 6M for Italy that is similar to Spain. 

Here also a comparison F2/TLK opening in big Euro: Germany higher - UK similar - France and Spain lower

F1 did 2,3M in W1 4 days and 6,1M in W2 4 days (2/4 holiday - 4/4 school out)

Today we see way lower numbers, but no word until Monday.

Edited by edroger3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

This is a weekend/holiday movie for sure. So saturday will see crazy increase for sure.That said should have released closer to holidays for sure/.

Yeah, that 12th December early slot was basically perfect. Maybe the late November slot is a bad one for animation, as edroger3 said - see The Grinch last year. At this point I just hope F2 follows that movie's pattern, as that would mean a 7.4M opening. Dory had a 500K Thursday and opened at 5.5M over the 4-day. Same opening if we use I2 as a comparison.

19 hours ago, edroger3 said:

In other european market opening on wed the OD vs full W have been: France 360/2140 adm - Germany 220/1635 adm. In each comparison a full week under 6M for Italy that is similar to Spain. 

Here also a comparison F2/TLK opening in big Euro: Germany higher - UK similar - France and Spain lower

Family movies get 10+ IMs in Italy, regularly higher than France and Germany. Also, Italy opens above Spain 90% of the times as our market is more frontloaded, so an opening on par with it would be disappointing.

Also, for those interested, Midway increased on day 2. Being focused on Frozen I forgot that the movie was originally listed as a Thursday release, so that deflated its OD big time. Still looking at a total gross below 1.5M though.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Omni said:

Yeah, that 12th December early slot was basically perfect. Maybe the late November slot is a bad one for animation, as edroger3 said - see The Grinch last year. At this point I just hope F2 follows that movie's pattern, as that would mean a 7.4M opening. Dory had a 500K Thursday and opened at 5.5M over the 4-day. Same opening if we use I2 as a comparison.

Family movies get 10+ IMs in Italy, regularly higher than France and Germany. Also, Italy opens above Spain 90% of the times as our market is more frontloaded, so an opening on par with it would be disappointing.

Also, for those interested, Midway increased on day 2. Being focused on Frozen I forgot that the movie was originally listed as a Thursday release, so that deflated its OD big time. Still looking at a total gross below 1.5M though.

Yeah, that 12th December early slot was basically perfect. Maybe the late November slot is a bad one for animation, as edroger3 said - see The Grinch last year. At this point I just hope F2 follows that movie's pattern, as that would mean a 7.4M opening.

Italy is a very complicated market, but in the other side of the moon, "Disney is always in right". In USA to move F2 a week before thanksgiving was criticized: now they could have 300+ in ten days, (I2, the biggest animation ever there, did 350/10 days in summer opening and ended over 600 while TLK this year had a similar frame but ended well under I2).

They maybe hope for a Christmas rise?

It's a big risk because basing on potential and anticipation, Italy could become the worst (cinematic) market worldwide for F2.

Speaking of hopes, screenings in my UCI rise again to 18 sat / 17 sun (2 soldout!).

Edited by edroger3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/28/2019 at 4:59 AM, RJ 95 said:

Frozen 2 Wednesday OD : € 755.660

On 11/29/2019 at 4:46 AM, RJ 95 said:

Thursday

Frozen 2 - € 498.473

1 hour ago, RJ 95 said:

Friday

Frozen 2 - € 900.917

In a perfect world we have a Cinetel in every country. Actuals for free every morning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, edroger3 said:

In a perfect world we have a Cinetel in every country. Actuals for free every morning.

Haha, I just guess everyone already knows about that site. So I don't need to reference it, I just like to posting about it here because it's a big number same like with Joker. 

Edited by RJ 95

3 minutes ago, RJ 95 said:

Haha, I just guess everyone already knows about that site. So I don't need to reference it, I just like to posting about it here because it's a big number same like with Joker. 

I'm not speaking about you but about the Cinetel service, probably the thing that works the better in italian cinema.......

• Like 1

Just now, edroger3 said:

I'm not speaking about you but about the Cinetel service, probably the thing that works the better in italian cinema.......

Ahh yeah sorry I misinterpreted it, also do you think Frozen 2 can increase 150% for Saturday or more ?

7 minutes ago, RJ 95 said:

Ahh yeah sorry I misinterpreted it, also do you think Frozen 2 can increase 150% for Saturday or more ?

Should be Sat 2x - Sun 3x but we have the 5-days start so... BTW, the words "Frozen" and "Unpredictable" have the same meaning. I wouldn't be surprised by a Sunday at 3M+but also by one at 2M.

2 hours ago, PKMLover said:

:whosad:

Italy doesn't seem to enjoy F2 much...

Hope it can at least match the gross of the 1st one...

An 80% rise on Friday is actually pretty good.

The first Frozen did 19.7M and I still see this grossing more than that.